Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:41 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by BenK91
Finally got a call from VW this morning.

We have a lot of rodents here in CO, especially around where I live. Basically one of them decided to chew through a chunk of my wiring harness while I was out of town on business.

As it's outside influence it's obviously not going to be covered under warranty so I'm looking to lose around $500-$550.

I may not respond for a while, I'll be roaming the neighborhood with some sort of weapon trying to take out every rodent within a mile.
We had a similar event where chipmunks decided to eat the coil packs in one of our Minis.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
We had a similar event where chipmunks decided to eat the coil packs in one of our Minis.
I don't even think I'm pissed off at the expense. I'm more annoyed something trivial has caused that expense.

Any suggestions to prevent this from happening again apart from wrapping my car in cling-film every time I don't drive it for a few days?
Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got a call from VW this morning.

We have a lot of rodents here in CO, especially around where I live. Basically one of them decided to chew through a chunk of my wiring harness while I was out of town on business.

As it's outside influence it's obviously not going to be covered under warranty so I'm looking to lose around $500-$550.

I may not respond for a while, I'll be roaming the neighborhood with some sort of weapon trying to take out every rodent within a mile.
Well that sux. Was the car outside?

I know I get field mice/voles in our garage + the bastards dig up my yard. Putting in some poison traps seems to have worked well for both the garage and yard.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Well that sux. Was the car outside?

I know I get field mice/voles in our garage + the bastards dig up my yard. Putting in some poison traps seems to have worked well for both the garage and yard.
Yeah it's parked on the street directly in front of our house. I was debating putting out some poison underneath the car, but I'd feel kinda bad if one of neighbors cats decided to eat it.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 4:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even think I'm pissed off at the expense. I'm more annoyed something trivial has caused that expense.

Any suggestions to prevent this from happening again apart from wrapping my car in cling-film every time I don't drive it for a few days?
Peppermint oil in the engine bay worked 100% for us.

Mini mechanic suggested it ant it worked perfectly.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh really? Just a couple of drops in and around the engine bay? I'll give it a try!
Old Nov 1st 2017, 5:01 pm

Oh really? Just a couple of drops in and around the engine bay? I'll give it a try!
Yep. Made the car smell nice too.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep. Made the car smell nice too.
I'll make a trip to Walmart tonight and try and find some. Thank you!
Old Nov 1st 2017, 5:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using a similar herbal product, called Mouse Magic, since the day a dormouse started running back and forth across the hood of the Miata as I headed up the driveway. (Perhaps you heard my yell in the northern part of the state?!) It comes in little sachets and I duct tape them in the areas where they like to make their winter nests. Which reminds me, time to get a new batch in place. I also toss a couple into the cabin, because the day I have a co-driver, I'm probably in the ditch . . .
Old Nov 1st 2017, 6:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw this trailer for season 2 of The Grand Tour:

I see evidence of at least two 'cheap car challenges' and a hint of one outlandish car mod, so that gives me hope that the second season is where they will hit their stride
Old Nov 1st 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Just saw this trailer for season 2 of The Grand Tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_NRSoVncJQ

I see evidence of at least two 'cheap car challenges' and a hint of one outlandish car mod, so that gives me hope that the second season is where they will hit their stride
Binging Scrapheap Challenge (and the genius that is Robert Llewellyn)
on 40D these last few days.

Last episode they were at the drag strip with a Pulse jet welded to a table.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I've been using a similar herbal product, called Mouse Magic, since the day a dormouse started running back and forth across the hood of the Miata as I headed up the driveway. (Perhaps you heard my yell in the northern part of the state?!) It comes in little sachets and I duct tape them in the areas where they like to make their winter nests. Which reminds me, time to get a new batch in place. I also toss a couple into the cabin, because the day I have a co-driver, I'm probably in the ditch . . .
I'm going to head over to home depot shortly, looks like they offer some traps small enough to fit under the car so I'll invest in a few of those and some peppermint oil.

After reading some more it looks like a lot of new cars use "soy" based wiring. So I'm assuming Mr Rabbit went in there for some warmth and decided to have a nibble.

Just zeroed the scope in on the air rifle for additional wiring protection
Old Nov 1st 2017, 6:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Binging Scrapheap Challenge (and the genius that is Robert Llewellyn)
on 40D these last few days.

Last episode they were at the drag strip with a Pulse jet welded to a table.
I miss that show. The one where the British, French and American teams all had a race to build replicas of planes from the early 1900s is still some of the best TV I have ever watched.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I miss that show. The one where the British, French and American teams all had a race to build replicas of planes from the early 1900s is still some of the best TV I have ever watched.
They have a dozen seasons or more out there.. I'm up to season 6 atm.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 7:22 pm
I have a comma problem

They have a dozen seasons or more out there.. I'm up to season 6 atm.
I used to watch it all the time back home. Not sure how many actual seasons I saw though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.