Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:39 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

That thing you like? It sucks.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Back Off topic... How did you manage to get a reputation beyond repute with only 36 posts...?
Absolutley no idea.
Hadn't even noticed until you pointed it out.
Maybe my reputation from other places precedes me.

Originally Posted by yukichon
Why are some posters in here so uptight....maybe they are just keeping that steroetype going of Brits being miserable
Shall I be an inquisitive pedantic and ask what a steroetype is?

We are all miserable, a few words on the interweb won't change that.
And I've never (and will never) try to teach others not to be so narrow-minded that they have to assume others are being miserable and/or uptight when, in fact, they are being quite the opposite.

I don't just purchase an item because it's reliable
That is obvious.

Agreed, but I think you will struggle to show me a good selection of 'pretty' Japanese cars
I could quite easily. But as I've already stated, it's a pointless excercise because 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

So everyone in the world who buys items that are of 'supposed' better quality must be wrong because you said so? ...and my bubble is doing just fine thanks
Never misquote me for effect.
That is not what I said and that is plain to see.
I never made the bold statement about 'the more you spend the better the product'. I merely pointed out that it was utter nonsense.
some expensive things are very good, some cheap things are very good. And vice-versa.
Many of us live in the realistic world where money does matter and to spend a few k more on a car because it has a badge is nothing but stupid.

I once bought an old Honda for £120, for spares as it happens. 8 years and £200 later it is still on the road in perfect health serving my mother.
Cheap, reliable and perfect (she keeps telling me) for it's intended use.
but obviously it's utter crap because it didn't cost £30k or more (although new it was £21k).
That to me is still a better buy than our $57k Acura.

I thought it was just an outright fact
Don't let them confuse you, it is fact.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
That thing you like? It sucks.
Damn it, I know now, if only you'd said before I got it.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

??
Missed that one.
Yes, Nissan are owned by Renault. Have been for quite sometime.
Look in new Nissans and you'll see Renault parts all around you.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Here's an interesting (?) fact.

Despite the BMW MINI Cooper not being mini but pretty big (relatively) you can only fit 4 more people in it than the original Mini Cooper.
25 vs 21.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 2:23 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jonion

We are all miserable, a few words on the interweb won't change that.
And I've never (and will never) try to teach others not to be so narrow-minded that they have to assume others are being miserable and/or uptight when, in fact, they are being quite the opposite.

Never misquote me for effect.
That is not what I said and that is plain to see.
I never made the bold statement about 'the more you spend the better the product'. I merely pointed out that it was utter nonsense.
some expensive things are very good, some cheap things are very good. And vice-versa.

Many of us live in the realistic world where money does matter and to spend a few k more on a car because it has a badge is nothing but stupid.
You may be miserable, but I am quite the opposite

I didn't quote you? But if someone did, what happens? Is your option finite and the ultimate opinion? My opinion is that, mine, what I believe as I have stated. If you choose to believe differently then I am happy to read it without being so abrupt and rude.

I do live in the realistic world thank you very much. I find your comments offensive.
I, and am sure most others, do not purchase vehicles because of a badge

Negativity breeds anger....chillax and buy German
Old Oct 9th 2013, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

You may be miserable, but I am quite the opposite
Misrepresentation is not something you should be proud of.

I didn't quote you? But if someone did, what happens? Is your option finite and the ultimate opinion?
I work on facts wherever possible.
My opinions however are as valid (or otherwise) as anyone elses.
Not much of what I have stated here is opinion though, it's comments on your opinions.

As a great man once said: "You are not entitled to an opinion. An opinion is what you have when you don't have any facts. When you have the facts, you don't need an opinion"

My opinion is that, mine, what I believe as I have stated. If you choose to believe differently then I am happy to read it without being so abrupt and rude.
I'm being neither abrupt or rude. That is up to you to take offense at if you are so narrow-minded to do such though.
Around here you will find people who are much more direct and to the point than I am being.

I do live in the realistic world thank you very much. I find your comments offensive.

Should I be upset for you?
Maybe I find your comments offensive but I'm not whining about it if that is the case.

I, and am sure most others, do not purchase vehicles because of a badge

I do, I buy ones with badges that represent good value for money and reliability.

You assumed I meant the type who are badge snobs. If the cap fits...
Some people do buy items based purely on the perceived quality associated with the brand, your original comments were such.

Negativity breeds anger....chillax and buy German
That sort of sums it up I guess

I await your next posting...

In the meantime maybe we can get back to the lighthearted chat about cars that I am sure this thread was meant to be for.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:01 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I drove a Ford Expedition for the last week (my Acadia was in the shop as some numpty backed into me). My conclusion... I couldn't own a body on frame vehicle. I go through periods of wanting a truck (when in Rome and all that) but I think this cements that I just couldn't do it. The handling is just too soft for me.

Nothing in particular against the expedition just body on frame vehicles aren't for me.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I drove a Ford Expedition for the last week (my Acadia was in the shop as some numpty backed into me). My conclusion... I couldn't own a body on frame vehicle. I go through periods of wanting a truck (when in Rome and all that) but I think this cements that I just couldn't do it. The handling is just too soft for me.

Nothing in particular against the expedition just body on frame vehicles aren't for me.
Interesting, it sounds like they have overcompensated in turning it from a truck into an SUV, because my F250 crew cab is extremely firm, with little roll in the turns and every crack and ridge communicated back through the wheel and seat. My mother and wife both insist it is "comfortable" but although I enjoy driving it, "comfortable" would not be in the top ten words I would use to describe it.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:21 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
although I enjoy driving it, "comfortable" would not be in the top ten words I would use to describe it.
The run-flats on my new car are horrid (as I expected)... Can't wait to be rid of them.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I was toying with the idea of a 'truck' as my runabout vehicle but ended up getting another Honda for the time being (that will eventually become the track car).

Was looking at the Chevy 1500 and Ram 1500 IIRC. Partly for the same Rome reference I suspect.

As kid I always wondered why in US films the drivers were always turning the wheel side to side while on straight roads. I came to the conclusion it must have been to give the effect of motion.
Then last year I drove the future MIL's Chevy Astro and dicovered I had to do that just to keep it on the road
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:27 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed on the BOF thing, my last 97 Grand Marquis could have been described as soft but the 03 with cop shocks sure isn't.

Pulaski I don't think I've ever hear anyone say 'yeah my heavy duty truck rides like it's floating on air'

Run flats, yeech. Almost a good idea I think. How are you liking your new car Nutek?

Pete
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

No you are correct, I am not a salesman.

Yes, Japanese cars are reliable from an engine point of view, but they are made from some shockingly poor quality materials internally, look like crap, and bodies made from recycled beer cans.
We operate a very large fleet and have very few issues, in fact one of the cars we have had most issues with has been a Nissan GTR!
What planet do you live on? Recycled beer cans? (I realize that was not a factual comment) The days of Japanese cars being made from steel recycled from 1940's Fords and the like are long gone. Decades ago the rust was built in as a result of poorly recycled steel, but far from the case now. I have seen far more 10 and 15 year old Toyota vehicles with solid bodies than I have domestics.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
Run flats, yeech. Almost a good idea I think. How are you liking your new car Nutek?

Pete
I'm really enjoying it. I was gonna post stuff about it but the reaction I got from just saying I bought it kind of put a damper on that.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutek
I'm really enjoying it. I was gonna post stuff about it but the reaction I got from just saying I bought it kind of put a damper on that.
Don't let that put you off.
I wasn't paying attention but did you get the MINI convertible.
Just because it's not to someone else tastes doesn't mean they don't appreciate it for what it is.
I've driven a few MINIs, the higher spec ones are a hoot to drive. I'd never have one myself but they're still better than walking
Most people here would probably scoff at my car but it won't alter the fact that I love it (so much I've had 15+).

We don't buy ourselves things to please people on t'interweb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.