Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are still "under vehicled"!
That is the phrase i am looking for. Yes, one vehicle per driving licence for us. I like to think i spend more time on my bike (cycle) than i do in the car though
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:39 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Over the weekend, my wife was at a county fair up in Wisconsin, and she took a picture of a (bloody tasty looking) Alfa that was on display, with pricing info and everything on it. I have yet to see an Alfa dealership when out and about so I don't know if you could always get them but it looks like, at least in and around the Chicago area, I'll start to see some out on the roads.

I'd have to get her to send me the picture so I can post it, but it was lovely. $50K though, so I won't be getting one any time soon
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:43 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Over the weekend, my wife was at a county fair up in Wisconsin, and she took a picture of a (bloody tasty looking) Alfa that was on display, with pricing info and everything on it. I have yet to see an Alfa dealership when out and about so I don't know if you could always get them but it looks like, at least in and around the Chicago area, I'll start to see some out on the roads.

I'd have to get her to send me the picture so I can post it, but it was lovely. $50K though, so I won't be getting one any time soon
How much do they charge for your personal mechanic? You'll need one with an Alfa...
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:55 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
How much do they charge for your personal mechanic? You'll need one with an Alfa...
Well, that's another reason I'd not have it, never mind the price. Still nice to look at though, as it's sat at the side of the road while the driver rethinks his life choices.

Plus, if I'm going to spend $50k on a car (and I probably never will, pikey that I am), it'll be one where the bonnet doesn't spend more time open than a whore's legs.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
I used to own a 164, and had very few problems with it. I would seriously consider another Alfa - it was a great car, arguably the nicest I have ever owned - smooth, comfortable, handled superbly, and returned 29mpg (UK) from a 3.0 V6.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:17 am
I have a comma problem

I used to own a 164, and had very few problems with it. I would seriously consider another Alfa - it was a great car, arguably the nicest I have ever owned - smooth, comfortable, handled superbly, and returned 29mpg (UK) from a 3.0 V6.
It'd be roughly half the price of that M5 you are eyeing up as well
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It'd be roughly half the price of that M5 you are eyeing up as well. ....
I originally got the 164 because a similar aged and mileage 5 Series, with a similar engine, would have cost about three times as much!
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:22 am
I have a comma problem

I originally got the 164 because a similar aged and mileage 5 Series, with a similar engine, would have cost about three times as much!
I had a quick look at what I assume to be the dealer's website (a FIAT dealer in Kenosha, WI) to see if I could work out what it was, and from what I remember, it appears to be a Giulia Ti. At any rate, it was this color, with those alloys and the red brake calipers. Just shy of $50k and sexy as **** if you ask me ...

https://www.palmenfiat.com/vehicle-d...wi-id-19809866
Old Aug 24th 2017, 3:07 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I had a quick look at what I assume to be the dealer's website (a FIAT dealer in Kenosha, WI) to see if I could work out what it was, and from what I remember, it appears to be a Giulia Ti. At any rate, it was this color, with those alloys and the red brake calipers. Just shy of $50k and sexy as **** if you ask me ...

https://www.palmenfiat.com/vehicle-d...wi-id-19809866
That is rather pretty. Moreso, I would think, once the steam is released and it appears in soft focus.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 3:14 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
That is rather pretty. Moreso, I would think, once the steam is released and it appears in soft focus.
Well, of course.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
After getting by quite happily for 3 yrs with one vehicle for our family of 5, we now appear to have 3, with a total of 20 cylinders, 12,000 cc and 430,000 miles between them. I daren't tell our friends back in the UK.
You'll have to do better than that if you want to brag about mileages, we've got a Ford Expedition (still running) with 470k and still on it's original engine.

3 vehicles, 22 cyl, 13.8l and nearly 800k between them, keep trying.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
You'll have to do better than that if you want to brag about mileages, we've got a Ford Expedition (still running) with 470k and still on it's original engine.

3 vehicles, 22 cyl, 13.8l and nearly 800k between them, keep trying.
Respect! I am now starting to think that Pulaski's 'under vehicled' term refers to where i will be spending my weekends from now on as i try and do the simpler maintenance tasks myself. Changed the IAC on the Ford a couple of weeks ago and fixed the 'stall when put in reverse' problem
Old Aug 25th 2017, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrken30
And the speed limit is what? And gas consumption ?
Err, speed limit varies between 25 and 70. None of the vehicles are what i would call sporty (Toyota Highlander?) and the gas consumption is embarrassing
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by newadventure
..... None of the vehicles are what i would call sporty (Toyota Highlander?) and the gas consumption is embarrassing
Don't worry, add yourself something like a decent sized truck to the mix and you can easily increase your consumption to a more respectable amount.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 25th 2017 at 4:10 am.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't worry, add yourself something like a decent sized truck to the mix and you can easily increase your consumption to a more respectable amount.
Too late - we have a '94 Ford F150. Eldest daughter is driving it to school at the moment and returning an impressive 12 mpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.