Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by yukichon
No you are correct, I am not a salesman.

Yes, Japanese cars are reliable from an engine point of view, but they are made from some shockingly poor quality materials internally, look like crap, and bodies made from recycled beer cans.
We operate a very large fleet and have very few issues, in fact one of the cars we have had most issues with has been a Nissan GTR!
Well coming from someone who is determined to flush several thousand dollars down the toilet on architect's fees despite advice that a general contractor experienced in the type of work being considered is all you need, please excuse me for taking your opinion with a pinch of salt!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:58 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

I sense a feeling of resentment?? How strange, that from me asking for opinions on another thread, it has now has transgressed into a direct dig at me. I apologise if I don't conform with your advice, and wish to spend a few dollars with a professional to make our dream home

So back on topic, in life I believe you get what you pay for, especially in the case of cars
Old Oct 8th 2013, 11:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... So back on topic, in life I believe you get what you pay for, especially in the case of cars.
So do I. I would happily pay an architect 10% to design my dream home, and one day that will happen, but for knocking down a few walls, not so much.

Equally I would certainly buy a BMW, though not for reliability, and a Rangerover/Landrover too, despite their reliability being legendary. Merc's however are for people with a lot of money to spend on a nice car, but who don't actually know what a nice is!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Japanese cars are reliable from an engine point of view,
Oddly the one main ingredient in the reliability recipe.
They are extremely reliable in all other aspects as well.
Or are Japanese electronics poor in your book?

but they are made from some shockingly poor quality materials internally,
Debatable point. 'Shockingly poor' is debatable as I have no idea of your concept of what constitutes such. For all I know you could deem Axminster carpets and Royal Doulton china as 'shockingly poor'.

look like crap,
Well that is purely 100% personal opinion.
And as such is totally irrelevant to a measured discussion.
I could say that you are ugly but your wife/gf/bf/whatever may think you are the true Adonis.

We operate a very large fleet and have very few issues, in fact one of the cars we have had most issues with has been a Nissan GTR!
OK, you do realise that Nissans are French don't you?

So back on topic, in life I believe you get what you pay for, especially in the case of cars
Utter nonsense.
Buying smart is far more beneficial than buying expensive.
You give the impression that spending more money will get you the best of everything. Not sure which world you live in but I hope the bubble doesn't burst on you.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:34 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
.. and a Rangerover/Landrover too, despite their reliability being legendary. ......
I was wondering if anyone would mention that

Saw a beautiful BMW Z8 this AM, the worlds' prettiest flop.

Pete
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:39 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

So the fun got sucked out of this thread then.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
So the fun got sucked out of this thread then.
Hopefully not. But it might take more than that to get it back
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:59 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Does this help?

http://swick.co.uk/wp-content/upload...razy%20Car.jpg

Pete
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:00 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion

Debatable point. 'Shockingly poor' is debatable as I have no idea of your concept of what constitutes such. For all I know you could deem Axminster carpets and Royal Doulton china as 'shockingly poor'.

I could say that you are ugly but your wife/gf/bf/whatever may think you are the true Adonis.

Utter nonsense.
You give the impression that spending more money will get you the best of everything. Not sure which world you live in but I hope the bubble doesn't burst on you.
Back Off topic... How did you manage to get a reputation beyond repute with only 36 posts...?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:03 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

Just for reference, I am basing my opinions on 'recent' cars only, so post 2005....
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:06 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

Why are some posters in here so uptight....maybe they are just keeping that steroetype going of Brits being miserable
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:14 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

Originally Posted by Jonion
I don't just purchase an item because it's reliable

Poor plastics, poor quality dashboard construction

Agreed, but I think you will struggle to show me a good selection of 'pretty' Japanese cars

??

Utter nonsense.
So everyone in the world who buys items that are of 'supposed' better quality must be wrong because you said so? ...and my bubble is doing just fine thanks
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:22 am
Mions' a point.

That's a stereotype?

Pete
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:24 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
That's a stereotype?

Pete
I thought it was just an outright fact
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MostlyYank

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.