Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Welcome to BE.

2002 GT, which means 260hp from a 4.6 V8. Obviously it has a manual transmission. I have owned it from new, just five weeks after I arrived in the US.

You could expect to pick up something like that in good shape for around $6,000-$8,000. Technically the market value is lower for a car around 16 years old but a small but significant number of them will have been "toys" that have been garaged and not used for daily transport.
Thanks for the welcome!

That sounds quite cheap! I was expecting it to cost more for a Mustang. Or is that the general price for a used one?

As I will be hopefully here on an F1 student visa for a couple of years from this July, I'd love to have a fun car like the Mustang. How is the MPG on those things? Are they gas guzzlers? And how robust are they in general?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
Thanks for the welcome!

That sounds quite cheap! I was expecting it to cost more for a Mustang. Or is that the general price for a used one?

As I will be hopefully here on an F1 student visa for a couple of years from this July, I'd love to have a fun car like the Mustang. How is the MPG on those things? Are they gas guzzlers? And how robust are they in general?
Market price for one with say 150,000 miles on the clock would be around $4,000, so they're pretty cheap. You should be able to find a nice one for $8,000. Personally I prefer the 1993-2004 body shape to the 2005-2014 ones.

Mine gets 25mph, or maybe slightly more, on the interstate, and that's US gallons, so about 30mpg UK, and about what I was getting from my Alfa 164 3.0 V6 in the UK. Around town of course it drops, to around 20mpg. So honestly no, it really isn't a gas guzzler.

Mine has never had a breakdown, but then it only has just over 65,000 on the clock. Aside from routine maintenance, it is entirely original. Routine maintenance included replacing the serpentine belt and water pump. If I remember correctly we changed the tires at 45,000 miles. Obviously your experience might differ.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 21st 2017 at 11:53 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, new to the forums so thought I'd get involved elsewhere, you all seem a nice bunch

Anyways... I have always had a fascination with Mustangs, and always want to own one. What kind do you guys have (if you have one)?
Welcome to the forum!

There are quite a few mustang owners here. Personally I'm not one of them.... Yet.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
.... There are quite a few mustang owners here. Personally I'm not one of them.... Yet. ....
You realize, don't you, that the odds of you being allowed to buy one went down last week.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

You realize, don't you, that the odds of you being allowed to buy one went down last week.
Hey, she's let me get my personal plate! Coming in 6 weeks.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Unless he was able to get "Must be allowed to purchase a Mustang" in his nuptials
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Market price for one with say 150,000 miles on the clock would be around $4,000, so they're pretty cheap. You should be able to find a nice one for $8,000. Personally I prefer the 1993-2004 body shape to the 2005-2014 ones.

Mine gets 25mph, or maybe slightly more, on the interstate, and that's US gallons, so about 30mpg UK, and about what I was getting from my Alfa 164 3.0 V6 in the UK. Around town of course it drops, to around 20mpg. So honestly no, it really isn't a gas guzzler.

Mine has never had a breakdown, but then it only has just over 65,000 on the clock. Aside from routine maintenance, it is entirely original. Routine maintenance included replacing the serpentine belt and water pump. If I remember correctly we changed the tires at 45,000 miles. Obviously your experience might differ.
That's better mileage than my current car, and with the cheaper cost of fuel too, I'd be better off! I kind of like the 2005 onwards body shapes. I'm very tempted now, having heard they're a decent price. Do they hold value well? At 26, could I expect insurance to cost a lot?

Originally Posted by tom169
Welcome to the forum!

There are quite a few mustang owners here. Personally I'm not one of them.... Yet.
Cheers for the welcome! I'm guessing owning a Mustang is a rite of passage for a Brit in the USA?
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 12:17 am

That's better mileage than my current car, and with the cheaper cost of fuel too, I'd be better off! I kind of like the 2005 onwards body shapes. I'm very tempted now, having heard they're a decent price. Do they hold value well? At 26, could I expect insurance to cost a lot? .....
You're going to get hosed for insurance even if you buy a Chevy Cruz (Astra), think around $2,000/yr! We all go through that phase, and it doesn't seem to matter much what you buy. Ironically it might be lower for buying an older car. Look after it and it will hold its value fairly well, especially if it's a V8, as by the time it's ten ears old it is fairly well depreciated.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to get hosed for insurance even if you buy a Chevy Cruz (Astra), think around $2,000/yr! We all go through that phase, and it doesn't seem to matter much what you buy. Ironically it might be lower for buying an older car. Look after it and it will hold its value fairly well, especially if it's a V8, as by the time it's ten ears old it is fairly well depreciated.
My insurance dropped by 28 bucks taking off a 4l '02 Sport Trac and putting on a 2010 5.4l F150, agent seemed to think that it was because the F150 was newer and therefore had better safety features???

As for Mustangs, I get to regularly drive (and occasionally work on) a 2010 3.7l that belongs to a good friend of ours. Not overly impressed, it drives like a tank and I reckon our piddly little 3l Accord would knock spots off it in a traffic light GP.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark
.... As for Mustangs, I get to regularly drive (and occasionally work on) a 2010 3.7l that belongs to a good friend of ours. Not overly impressed, it drives like a tank .....
V6's don't count. .... The V8 is a much faster tank.

I have an F250 and a Mustang; one has a big lump of a V8, a gearbox that feels like it belongs in a tractor, primitive suspension, and a solid rear axle, ... the other one is a truck!
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

V6's don't count. .... The V8 is a much faster tank.

I have an F250 and a Mustang; one has a big lump of a V8, a gearbox that feels like it belongs in a tractor, primitive suspension, and a solid rear axle, ... the other one is a truck!
Drag racers prefer a solid rear axle, or so I hear. For 2016 the Ford Cobra Jet Mustang had a solid rear axle. It is not street legal and was made purely for the drag strip. The 2016 production Mustangs have independent rear suspension.

2016 Cobra Jet Mustang Drag Racer Unveiled at SEMA, Continues Evolution of Ford Turnkey Race Car Program
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main issue with those older Mustangs equipped with modular 4.6l is their rather anemic performance. Less than 300hp is a bit limp-wristed when compared to more recent/current iterations of this car.
I had a 2012 GT which I liked, despite not really wanting to - but the 5.0 coyote DOHC engine didn't deliver it's power or torque the way I hoped it would. I 'regressed' to a large capacity Mopar with a pushrod engine, which is far more suitable for my bracket racing pass-time - and is a surprisingly good hussle too, despite being more than 4000lbs.
Solid axles were advantageous in drag racing before more sophisticated rear suspension systems aided by traction control and locking diffs became available. Latest Challenger Demon runs sub-10sec quarter miles with IRS.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I think the main issue with those older Mustangs equipped with modular 4.6l is their rather anemic performance. Less than 300hp is a bit limp-wristed .....
I suspect that your view point is held by a rather small minority of drivers, that a car capable of 0-60 in the low six-second range with its "only" 260hp, is "anemic" and "limp-wristed". I don't care about its suitability for "bracket racing".
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I think the main issue with those older Mustangs equipped with modular 4.6l is their rather anemic performance. Less than 300hp is a bit limp-wristed when compared to more recent/current iterations of this car.
I had a 2012 GT which I liked, despite not really wanting to - but the 5.0 coyote DOHC engine didn't deliver it's power or torque the way I hoped it would. I 'regressed' to a large capacity Mopar with a pushrod engine, which is far more suitable for my bracket racing pass-time - and is a surprisingly good hussle too, despite being more than 4000lbs.
Solid axles were advantageous in drag racing before more sophisticated rear suspension systems aided by traction control and locking diffs became available. Latest Challenger Demon runs sub-10sec quarter miles with IRS.
The guysgals racing the pro-street dragsters have 4-link solid rear axle.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Apr 23rd 2017 at 7:05 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that your view point is held by a rather small minority of drivers, that a car capable of 0-60 in the low six-second range with its "only" 260hp, is "anemic" and "limp-wristed". I don't care about its suitability for "bracket racing".
Yeah, but low 6 second range is not fast anymore - by anyone's standards - so I suspect that for anyone who knows anything about performance cars (which is quite a lot of people) general consensus is that those old ponies were really donkeys when it comes to get up an go. A 1.8T Jetta would smoke those numbers.
Not sure why the roll-eyes regarding bracket racing - there isn't a form of motorsport that is more relevant to your reference to 0-60 times. What you should be bragging about is 60-100, as those numbers are slightly less pedestrian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.