Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by BenK91
As I've had one (albeit for a short time) I can vouch for this haha.

Standard "yank tank". All of the torque and power when you stamp your foot down on a straight road. Come to a slight corner and you will be clenched to say the least. Body roll is ridiculous, anti roll bar seems like it was made of mild cheddar etc etc.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As I've had one (albeit for a short time) I can vouch for this haha.

Standard "yank tank". All of the torque and power when you stamp your foot down on a straight road. Come to a slight corner and you will be clenched to say the least. Body roll is ridiculous, anti roll bar seems like it was made of mild cheddar etc etc.
Originally Posted by tom169
Mine has almost no body roll at all, it's like giant roller-skate, and I can and do take bends and clover-leaf ramps quite comfortably at 10-15 mph over the "recommended" speed. FWIW mine is an F250; maybe it is significant that it has the optional heavy-duty suspension.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 21st 2017 at 1:37 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mine has almost no body roll at all, it's like giant roller-skate, and I can and do take bends and clover-leaf ramps quite comfortably at 10-15 mph over the "recommended" speed. FWIW mine is an F250; maybe it is significant that it has the optional heavy-duty suspension.
Funny you should say that as a friend of mine rented a F250 from Home Depot to haul some crap in and he let me drive it and I literally said this handles better than my F150, and that was with a ton of s**t in the back of it too!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Pick-ups aren't for "shopping", that's what women are for.
Hey, hey, hey, you set of male chauvs, cut it out! We women love our pickups too, and as usual, we can do it all. Haul a load of topsoil in the truck bed and get the groceries and a dog or two in the cabin with the jump seats folded.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

So you got rid of your F150?

Yin yang at work, I've not long purchased a Super crew, 5.4l gas guzzling F150. Justified by the fact that my scabby old Sport Trac was a pucking file sheep of hit and as someone who does 'proper work' for a living I need something reliable for hauling tools and materials.

We are now an F150 and Honda Accord owning family, I might be turning into a Pulaski clone
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
.... We are now an F150 and Honda Accord owning family, I might be turning into a Pulaski clone. ....
Obviously you need a Mustang.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should say that as a friend of mine rented a F250 from Home Depot to haul some crap in and he let me drive it and I literally said this handles better than my F150, and that was with a ton of s**t in the back of it too!
You can rent them from home Depot?

I never knew.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Hey, hey, hey, you set of male chauvs, cut it out! We women love our pickups too, and as usual, we can do it all. ....
Haven't you got something you should be doing in the kitchen?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't you got something you should be doing in the kitchen?
Like poisoning your food?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
You can rent them from home Depot?

I never knew.
Mhmm! It may vary on price state to state but usually at least one Home Depot in each county will have a tool rental station and a trailer/truck rental!

Here it's $20 for the first hour ($50 deposit goes down, and after the initial hour it's something like $35 an hour) and then if you hand it back to them within the hour they'll just refund you $30 back. Seemed real reasonable to me!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 6:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Like this , is tastefull . But...... it costs over $600G. Totally street legal.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...psp8wjnwzr.png
Oh Jesus, I think that looks god awful

Obviously you need a Mustang.
Now that's a much better choice ...
Old Apr 21st 2017, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, new to the forums so thought I'd get involved elsewhere, you all seem a nice bunch

Anyways... I have always had a fascination with Mustangs, and always want to own one. What kind do you guys have (if you have one)?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see you try and keep up with mine around a clover leaf ramp. The laws of physics are not in your favor. Happens to me nearly every day, a truck or suv think they can keep up and then we hit a corner
Old Apr 21st 2017, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I'd like to see you try and keep up with mine around a clover leaf ramp. The laws of physics are not in your favor. Happens to me nearly every day, a truck or suv think they can keep up and then we hit a corner
I have no doubt that is true - but many people can't drive for §4!t, and while driving my truck I often close in on cars that are potentially a lot more capable of taking corners at speed than my truck is.

Here's an anecdote I have recounted previously:
A few weeks ago I was second in line behind a Tesla at a red light. Ahead of us was a bridge over the interstate, followed by a 270° to the right onto the interstate below. The light turned green and we took off, the Tesla like a scalded cat, and my F250, .... er, .... like a gently warmed, .... er, .... elephant.

However by the time I was 180° round the ramp I was up behind the bumper of the Tesla which was doing 25mph, when I would/should have been doing 40mph and preparing to accelerate to 70 and merge onto the interstate. If I'd been Dale Earnhardt on a Sunday afternoon I'd have applied the chrome horn and spun it into the weeds!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Maste
Hey guys, new to the forums so thought I'd get involved elsewhere, you all seem a nice bunch. ....
Welcome to BE.
.... Anyways... I have always had a fascination with Mustangs, and always want to own one. What kind do you guys have (if you have one)?
2002 GT, which means 260hp from a 4.6 V8. Obviously it has a manual transmission. I have owned it from new, just five weeks after I arrived in the US.

You could expect to pick up something like that in good shape for around $6,000-$8,000. Technically the market value is lower for a car around 16 years old but a small but significant number of them will have been "toys" that have been garaged and not used for daily transport.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 21st 2017 at 11:04 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.