Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 18th 2017, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

On a random topic... Took a drive today to the mountains for my birthday as I like the scenery and a restaurant there.

The drive consists of 3 roads which I can get the foot down on. I'm just glad we don't have stinking average speed camera zones and the variable speed limit cameras here.

At least I can get home knowing I haven't got any points coming in the mail.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkeller
^^^^
Thinking your bimmer might have had summer(only) tires?? As opposed to all season tires?
To be honest, I can't remember for certain, but I'm pretty sure they were all-weather.

Anyway, it rains in the summer too, so I shouldn't lose that much grip if they were summer tires!
Old Feb 19th 2017, 1:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
You can't possibly tell how other cars are handling in the wet, so you just have to be patient. I would much rather be yelled at for being too slow than to be pulled out of a ditch because the guy behind me was in too much of a rush and had no control! ....
If it was really this bad then you should have .....

Coming back from Florida on i75 after a visit, I got stuck in a downpour, not long after buying a new (used) BMW 328i with, what I thought were, good tires! I was aquaplaning all over the place and had to actually pull off at the GA welcome center as it was so bad. The tires had loads of tread on them but were completely useless in the wet! .....
Done exactly what you did! The complaint is primarily about people who are, for whatever reaon, not comfortable driving at full speed on an interstate or major highway. If you are scared about conditions and your ability to drive in them, you should (i) move to the right hand lane, and (ii) get off the interstate ASAP and either wait for conditions to improve, or continue on regular highways. It is not the job of those who are scared by road conditions to force others to slow down to the same speed by obstructing the path of others who would like to go faster.

From what you said, this (get out of the way/ off the road) is what you did/do, and there have been occasions when I have felt unsafe to continue and stopped and rested until ready to continue. Anyone who continues to drive in weather when they feel it is unsafe or beyond their driving capabilities, is an idiot, and driving in the left lane with your hazard lights on, to let everyone know that you're an idiot, is not a good solution to the problem!

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 19th 2017 at 2:09 am.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If it was really this bad then you should have .....
Done exactly what you did! The complaint is primarily about people who are, for whatever reaon, not comfortable driving at full speed on an interstate or major highway. If you are scared about conditions and your ability to drive in them, you should (i) move to the right hand lane, and (ii) get off the interstate ASAP and either wait for conditions to improve, or continue on regular highways. It is not the job of those who are scared by road conditions to force others to slow down to the same speed by obstructing the path of others who would like to go faster.

From what you said, this (get out of the way/ off the road) is what you did/do, and there have been occasions when I have felt unsafe to continue and stopped and rested until ready to continue. Anyone who continues to drive in weather when they feel it is unsafe or beyond their driving capabilities, is an idiot, and driving in the left lane with your hazard lights on, to let everyone know that you're an idiot, is not a good solution to the problem!
So I'm driving to LA on Christmas eve; there's torrential rain making it difficult to drive fast; it's 8pm and I have a hotel reservation that can't be canceled; I'm on I-5 on the grapevine which, as far as I know, has no real practical alternative routes (closures of the grapevine wreak absolute havoc due to this fact). Since it's not my home turf, I'm not familiar with safe places to pull over or get off the freeway (there's no way it's safe to pull over to the 'emergency lane' since vehicles are drifting all over the place); I can safely continue as long as I drive at, say, 35 MPH (which many other motorists are doing) but I'm at fault because I'm slowing down others who (in their mind) want to drive faster? Sorry, that just doesn't make practical sense.

Specifically regarding "The complaint is primarily about people who are, for whatever reaon, not comfortable driving at full speed on an interstate or major highway" - is it safe to drive 'at full speed' in all conditions? Who is to say what is the right speed for a given set of conditions?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:10 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

California Driver Handbook:

Basic speed law

Never drive faster than is safe for current conditions
Old Feb 19th 2017, 11:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So I'm driving to LA on Christmas eve; there's torrential rain making it difficult to drive fast; it's 8pm and I have a hotel reservation that can't be canceled; I'm on I-5 on the grapevine which, as far as I know, has no real practical alternative routes (closures of the grapevine wreak absolute havoc due to this fact). Since it's not my home turf, I'm not familiar with safe places to pull over or get off the freeway (there's no way it's safe to pull over to the 'emergency lane' since vehicles are drifting all over the place); I can safely continue as long as I drive at, say, 35 MPH (which many other motorists are doing) but I'm at fault because I'm slowing down others who (in their mind) want to drive faster? Sorry, that just doesn't make practical sense.

Specifically regarding "The complaint is primarily about people who are, for whatever reaon, not comfortable driving at full speed on an interstate or major highway" - is it safe to drive 'at full speed' in all conditions? Who is to say what is the right speed for a given set of conditions?
I think you know what I'm talking about - light to moderate traffic and some diçkheäd is in the left lane doing 30mph with their hazard lights on, because they are scared of the conditions. [SultanofSwing would insert some sort of double-barreled expletive here to describe them. ]

Otherwise yes, I agree, if 90% of everybody is doing x mph then there isn't much you can do about it regardless of whether its raining, snowing, or 90°F and the sun is shining.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 19th 2017 at 11:40 am.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
You can't possibly tell how other cars are handling in the wet, so you just have to be patient. I would much rather be yelled at for being too slow than to be pulled out of a ditch because the guy behind me was in too much of a rush and had no control!

Coming back from Florida on i75 after a visit, I got stuck in a downpour, not long after buying a new (used) BMW 328i with, what I thought were, good tires! I was aquaplaning all over the place and had to actually pull off at the GA welcome center as it was so bad. The tires had loads of tread on them but were completely useless in the wet! I ended up having to replace them well before they looked even close to being worn if I wanted to survive anything but the lightest rainfall.
Your point is valid in heavy rain, we are talking drizzle or actually stopped and people still pootling along, i'm the first to slow down.

But my issue is dicks in the fast lane going so slow they're an accident waiting to happen.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you know what I'm talking about - light to moderate traffic and some diçkheäd is in the left lane doing 30mph with their hazard lights on, because they are scared of the conditions. [SultanofSwing would insert some sort of double-barreled expletive here to describe them. ]

Otherwise yes, I agree, if 90% of everybody is doing x mph then there isn't much you can do about it regardless of whether its raining, snowing, or 90°F and the sun is shining.
Exactly!!
Old Feb 20th 2017, 4:44 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

[SultanofSwing would insert some sort of double-barreled expletive here to describe them. ]
Yes, I probably would.

Had some knob-shitter riding my arse on the way into work. I was already at 54 when it was the 40 section, but I didn't speed up much when it changed to 50 because there was a truck up ahead that I (for some strange reason) didn't want to drive through just so the wanker trying to get into my boot could go faster.

Then what does he do? After what looked like he was trying to get around my right hand side using a side street's intersection, he flew by on the left, over the chevrons for an upcoming right turn lane, then went around the car at the red light, through the red and away he went.

No municipal plates, and I doubt he was an undercover rozzer in his beat up old Focus. They are always in shiny beige or grey Crown Vics with no hubcaps round this way.

He was, quite simply, a twat.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 8:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of going through a red light...I was stopped at a red light, had been for about 20 seconds when a car coming the other way didn't bother stop and went straight through.

There was a cop about 30 yards past the light. Didn't bother pull the person, just stayed in his car...Not much use of a speed check then.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 4:36 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Jeez man. I've done that drive [both ways] during winter and I always check road conditions in advance. And if it looks dicey, I check enroute early enough at alternatives [e.g. I-5 south at CA-46 to cut over to US 101]. Any time the Grapevine has been closed while I was traveling I was on 101.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Jeez man. I've done that drive [both ways] during winter and I always check road conditions in advance. And if it looks dicey, I check enroute early enough at alternatives [e.g. I-5 south at CA-46 to cut over to US 101]. Any time the Grapevine has been closed while I was traveling I was on 101.
From what I've read, they close the Grapevine a few times a year, and it's always because of snow. They don't close it due to rain (unless there's a mudslide, which is very rare). On this particular day, there was no hint of snow. The heavy rain made it very slow going, not impassable. I think I've driven the Grapevine about 30 times over the years.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 3:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Why we'll miss the Honda Civic Type R | Top Gear

Civic Type R, no more.

My mum's friend, husband was the lead designer on the Type R team. You couldn't find a more tweed wearing, elbow patch type of bloke if you tried, he just needed a monocle.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 5:01 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

The newly redesigned Honda Civic seems to have fallen on it's ass. Reliability has dropped significantly and the infotainment system is disappointing. The car's low stance which makes it tricky to get in and out and poor lumbar support adds to the drawbacks.

Two of the top ten picks for best all round driver satisfaction are the Mazda-5 Miata and the Kia Optima. In the large car segment the Chevy Impala rates tops also
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Bob
That's not what the article says, if you read as far as ..... the first line below the photo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.