Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 16th 2017, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
Did it lock up?
Oh dear.....
Old Feb 16th 2017, 1:43 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Did it lock up?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 1:44 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Oh dear.....
Old Feb 16th 2017, 1:45 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Lucky escape really. It could have started a chain reaction.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

2016 traffic deaths jump to highest level in nearly a decade | Fox News

Maybe a symptom of the ridiculously simple driving test?

Or people becoming more complacent due to safety improvements?

My guess is a significant proportion of these are related to smartphones.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I was shocked at how simple the test is here. I drove round the block for about 15 minutes and then sat in the car park talking to the instructor for about 5 minutes and that was that! No parking test, no emergency stops etc etc.

Sums up why a lot of drivers here are so horrific.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Much texting and driving, especially in the states without a cellphone law!

There's a huge "it won't happen to me" mentality and I've even heard a cop say "I can do it, I'm a professional"!!!
Old Feb 17th 2017, 10:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
I was shocked at how simple the test is here. I drove round the block for about 15 minutes and then sat in the car park talking to the instructor for about 5 minutes and that was that! No parking test, no emergency stops etc etc.

Sums up why a lot of drivers here are so horrific.
15 minutes? You must have got the intensive test! I thought mine was bad at, IIRC, 12 minutes (in upstate NY), many people report their test lasted less than 10 minutes!

And yeah, the standard of driving here is attrocious. People here have no idea how to drive, with bad driving and driving at high speed being balanced by people who take turns and clover-leaf ramps like they're driving on ice and driving over level crossings at barely walking pace!

I noticed soon after I arrived in NC that the local newspaper was printing an almost identical story every week - a fatal accident after a driver went off the side of the road and either (i) hit a tree, or (ii) over-corrected and came back onto the road then either (i) crashed into oncoming traffic, or (ii) went off the other side of the road ... and hit a tree! Fourteen years later the exact same story is still being reported pretty much every week, and in fact such a story, simple scenario, option (i), was reported locally earlier this week. Apparently even keeping your vehicle between the centre line and the edge of the road is too much to ask of some drivers.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 17th 2017 at 10:33 am.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 10:48 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
15 minutes? You must have got the intensive test! I thought mine was bad at, IIRC, 12 minutes (in upstate NY), many people report their test lasted less than 10 minutes!

And yeah, the standard of driving here is attrocious. People here have no idea how to drive, with bad driving and driving at high speed being balanced by people who take turns and clover-leaf ramps like they're driving on ice and driving over level crossings at barely walking pace!

I noticed soon after I arrived in NC that the local newspaper was printing an almost identical story every week - a fatal accident after a driver went off the side of the road and either (i) hit a tree, or (ii) over-corrected and came back onto the road then either (i) crashed into oncoming traffic, or (ii) went off the other side of the road ... and hit a tree! Fourteen years later the exact same story is still being reported pretty much every week, and in fact such a story, simple scenario, option (i), was reported locally earlier this week. Apparently even keeping your vehicle between the centre line and the edge of the road is too much to ask of some drivers.
Duration/ intensity of the test clearly doesn't improve things, North of your border, driving is just as bad, possibly even worse- no use of mirrors, ignore other road users, no indicator use and no planning whatsoever - we had to do a test in BC on arrival and it was reasonably comprehensive. Canadian drivers are shite
Old Feb 17th 2017, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good lord its raining in California, my journey to work was torrid, 30 mph fast lane muppets, good lord people the black rubbery things on your wheels disperse water, you don't need to drive so effin slow!!

And before someone says the roads in California can be slippery, yes they can but not at walking pace in a car!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Feb 18th 2017, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

This craze for the horseless carriage is just a passing fad.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 12:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
This craze for the horseless carriage is just a passing fad.
I like passing, but it seems to be a dying art, especially in America.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
Oh good lord its raining in California, my journey to work was torrid, 30 mph fast lane muppets, good lord people the black rubbery things on your wheels disperse water, you don't need to drive so effin slow!!

And before someone says the roads in California can be slippery, yes they can but not at walking pace in a car!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I bought my car (used) in March last year. In December, I drove over the 'grapevine' into LA on I5, in very heavy rain. I discovered for the first time that the wiper blades were useless (replaced them the next day). Also, the lane markings (reflectors) were totally shot, and you could not determine where the lane lines were. The only lane that had reasonable markings was the left side of the fast lane so I, and most other drivers, were in the 'fast lane' going quite slow. I did get out of it a few times, only to be almost sideswiped by trucks veering from lane to lane. It was one of the scariest driving experiences I've ever had!
Old Feb 18th 2017, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You can't possibly tell how other cars are handling in the wet, so you just have to be patient. I would much rather be yelled at for being too slow than to be pulled out of a ditch because the guy behind me was in too much of a rush and had no control!

Coming back from Florida on i75 after a visit, I got stuck in a downpour, not long after buying a new (used) BMW 328i with, what I thought were, good tires! I was aquaplaning all over the place and had to actually pull off at the GA welcome center as it was so bad. The tires had loads of tread on them but were completely useless in the wet! I ended up having to replace them well before they looked even close to being worn if I wanted to survive anything but the lightest rainfall.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^
Thinking your bimmer might have had summer(only) tires?? As opposed to all season tires?

Last edited by jkeller; Feb 18th 2017 at 8:26 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.