Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 4th 2016, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Rental cars, checking for damage -

In the 'old days', when you rented a car, you and the rental company jointly signed off on a 'diagram' showing any damage. These days, at least at airports, that never happens. So - when you return a car and it has damage (dents, scratches, etc - not big stuff) how do they handle it? Without any agreed 'starting point', it's not clear they can pin anything on you. So far, I've never had an issue, but this last week, I returned a car and it had all kinds of dents and scrapes, and I wasn't sure if they were there to start with or not. They didn't say anything at the time of return, but I wonder if I'll hear something after the fact.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 9:29 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

In the 'old days', when you rented a car, you and the rental company jointly signed off on a 'diagram' showing any damage. These days, at least at airports, that never happens. So - when you return a car and it has damage (dents, scratches, etc - not big stuff) how do they handle it? Without any agreed 'starting point', it's not clear they can pin anything on you. So far, I've never had an issue, but this last week, I returned a car and it had all kinds of dents and scrapes, and I wasn't sure if they were there to start with or not. They didn't say anything at the time of return, but I wonder if I'll hear something after the fact.
Is there a place on the documents you fill out where you can automatically write MD&S for minor dings and scratches. Then when taking the car notice if anything is in excess of MD&S?
Old Aug 4th 2016, 10:44 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Is there a place on the documents you fill out where you can automatically write MD&S for minor dings and scratches. Then when taking the car notice if anything is in excess of MD&S?
Pictures... Before and after.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Didn't they describe it as "bracken" ? Did yours leak into the boot too?

Mainly footwells, when it rained really heavily I had to lift my feet off the floor to stop the water going in my shoes!

Lifting the floormats gave a unique view of the road!!

Bracken? Interesting name??!!
Old Aug 5th 2016, 4:49 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I rented a car from Enterprise the rental guy and I did a walk around the car before I was given the keys. Any scratches or dents were noted on his paperwork showing the location on the body panels
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
The last time I rented a car from Enterprise the rental guy and I did a walk around the car before I was given the keys. Any scratches or dents were noted on his paperwork showing the location on the body panels
Yep, I've had that too with Enterprise (who provided a temp car while my car was serviced) and also at a local Avis office. But the airports don't seem to do this; Avis, Alamo, National at least don't seem to, at SFO and PHX.

I've taken pictures of cars before driving off, even though they may contest the validity. But this last time, it was a black car and not very well lit in the PHX rental car garage, so I didn't see any of the dings. I do always do a walk-around.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I've had that too with Enterprise (who provided a temp car while my car was serviced) and also at a local Avis office. But the airports don't seem to do this; Avis, Alamo, National at least don't seem to, at SFO and PHX.
I can vouch that Budget still does inspection paperwork at Vegas Airport. Have to hand it into the attendant at the gate before you leave the parking garage.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Someone a while back was looking for a rat rod, but the local one to us had moved on but while visiting the folks up in Maine, saw one for sale heading towards Sugarloaf, with two others that were almost finished.

$7200. '41 Ford with a 350 automobile engine. If interested, I can ping the number for the guy as I have it written down.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-13900707_10206335842906376_1735779346_n.jpg   Let's talk about cars-13936822_10206335842146357_1117775713_n.jpg   Let's talk about cars-13936901_10206335843266385_1169007586_n.jpg  
Old Aug 5th 2016, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Someone a while back was looking for a rat rod, but the local one to us had moved on but while visiting the folks up in Maine, saw one for sale heading towards Sugarloaf, with two others that were almost finished.

$7200. '41 Ford with a 350 automobile engine. If interested, I can ping the number for the guy as I have it written down.
That was me. I was really digging that Ford Rust rod you pictured. Really wanted to know what he/she was asking for it . So I take it was sold? Not really into the black ford pictured but thanks for heads-up .
Old Aug 5th 2016, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken pictures of cars before driving off, even though they may contest the validity. But this last time, it was a black car and not very well lit in the PHX rental car garage, so I didn't see any of the dings. I do always do a walk-around.
I always photo rental cars too, but I suspect that if there was a dispute over damage, the rental car company would dispute their authenticity/date etc. In general, though, I've found rentals in the US to be much less picky about damage than in the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 7:51 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I always photo rental cars too, but I suspect that if there was a dispute over damage, the rental car company would dispute their authenticity/date etc. In general, though, I've found rentals in the US to be much less picky about damage than in the UK.
Avis once looked sideways at a ding in a car I was returning at, I think, Denver airport. As soon as I pulled my phone out to find the photo I'd taken on picking up the car, the returns guy backed down. I didn't even need to show him the photo; just the fact that he thought I might have taken one was enough to stop him trying it on.

As it happened, I did have a picture, but in retrospect it would have been worth calling his bluff even if I hadn't...
Old Aug 5th 2016, 8:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
That was me. I was really digging that Ford Rust rod you pictured. Really wanted to know what he/she was asking for it . So I take it was sold? Not really into the black ford pictured but thanks for heads-up .
I think it was and the guy was just waiting for it to get picked up.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I rent only from Enterprise , because I only rent pickups . Everytime the rental guy does a walkaround with me , noting down any issues.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

A rare Mercedes , a 500k Special Roadster , that was stolen by American troops , is returning to the heirs of the German who owned it . A court in Germany grants possession of it to the Hans Pyrm heirs following a lawsuit.

Rare Mercedes stolen by Allied troops in WWII set for £6m sale
Old Aug 6th 2016, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I can vouch that Budget still does inspection paperwork at Vegas Airport. Have to hand it into the attendant at the gate before you leave the parking garage.
And when I rented from 'Fox' last month (one of the 'second tier' rental agencies), at PHX, they too had the 'diagram' and let me inspect the car and fill it out. But I only rented from them because there were no cars available from the 'big guys'. So while quite a few rental companies do indeed offer a 'diagram' to note damage, many do not - specifically at major airports. My personal experience has been with Avis, National, Alamo at SFO and PHX airports.

As an aside, 'Fox' weren't actually that bad; I had read that they would badger me to death regarding extra insurance coverages, but they were fairly easy in that regard, and the car I got was OK, and the return process was decent also. Maybe it was because I arrived at midnight and the guy was too tired to bother. I really like the way Alamo and National let you choose any car within a category - I literally walk up and down the 'aisle' and pick out the one I fancy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.