Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
It's not his favorite.
It was just an inkling I had
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
So you didn't like it ?
I couldn't quite make out.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Why is the fuel consumption so high?

"The EPA rates the all-wheel-drive version at 21 mpg city, 30 highway, 24 combined. Those figures are slightly better for front-wheel-drive: the 2.4-liter four ekes out 22/31/27 mpg. "
Good grief, we get better mileage out of our 2003 Accord! It was only when the previous engine was dying that we got less than 30mpg for a whole tank, 32-33mpg on a tank is certainly possible .... And it has slightly more room inside, and a tweensie bit larger boot.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... and a tweensie bit larger boot.
Beautifully worded understatement of the fact you could fit the aforementioned colonic polyp inside the boot of your Accord
Old Mar 21st 2016, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

"The EPA rates the all-wheel-drive version at 21 mpg city, 30 highway, 24 combined. Those figures are slightly better for front-wheel-drive: the 2.4-liter four ekes out 22/31/27 mpg. "
They often don't even test the consumption. It's all done on estimated calculated transmission rates and stuff. Like such a such car has the same transmission as this car and got blah blah mpg, therefore this car gets the same. Then the EPA goes and randomly checks it later and tells them off when they are too far off.

https://www3.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htm
Old Mar 21st 2016, 8:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
They often don't even test the consumption. It's all done on estimated calculated transmission rates and stuff. Like such a such car has the same transmission as this car and got blah blah mpg, therefore this car gets the same. Then the EPA goes and randomly checks it later and tells them off when they are too far off.

https://www3.epa.gov/fueleconomy/labelchange.htm
Hopefully they are a long way off, because I'm getting 37 average from my JCW and Mrs. N. clears well over 40 in her Cooper. (Actual, not EPA).
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Wont be buying for 3 years but by then the 2015/2016 models will be in our price range for some models.

Current car is a Mazda 2, and while not a bad car, it is not exactly pleasent to drive as a tall person due to various thinga blocking ones view if tall. Especially when turning left, stupid plastic frame blocks my ability to see clearly. The mirrors are also well dont have the range so a tall person can clearly see the whole mirror.

Its just not an ideal car for anyone tall.

So what would be an efficient fuel wise car under 30k new in those model years that would be comfortable for a tall person.

By 2019/2020 a 2016 30k car should be witbin our affordability.

By then our Mazda will be 7 or 8 years old.

We average 7.3 liters per 100km combined hwy city but 95% of the driving is city since we dont have US type freeways. Seems that would be about 32mpg give or take.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 21st 2016 at 9:14 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You could make them eight wheel drive with the ability to go into space and it still wouldn't change the fact that those godawful cars are nothing more than shitboxes.

I was given one when my car was in for insurance repairs after an accident because god forbid a free rental means they'd give you a car that was even slightly close to the same size as your own. It was the most unpleasant, humiliating experience of my life, driving that anal suppository around. A ****ing moped would have been more useful, I'd have been able to fit more stuff onto one anyway.

I would rather listen to an entire Russel Brand podcast than have to drive one of those testicles again, that's for damn sure
Well, like I said, it has shitty rear legroom and poor rear area storage, but since I was alone and traveling only with a backpack, that wasn't my area of interest. And you are talking about the 500x, right - not the 500? The 500x is bigger all round than the 500; they are just designed to 'look' the same.

So you did not find the seat comfortable? I was shocked by how I could adjust it to my exact liking. And with a 2.4 Liter engine in such a small body, it is pretty darned peppy.

I would never buy one myself, as I said. But I have to applaud them on what they got right.

All I can say is, it does seem to drink gas. It lends itself to lead-foot driving, and I'm getting terrible readings on the built-in mpg meter ...

I'll be driving it up to Grand Canyon later this week, so I'll get to see how it goes on a long drive.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Wont be buying for 3 years but by then the 2015/2016 models will be in our price range for some models.

Current car is a Mazda 2, and while not a bad car, it is not exactly pleasent to drive as a tall person due to various thinga blocking ones view if tall. Especially when turning left, stupid plastic frame blocks my ability to see clearly. The mirrors are also well dont have the range so a tall person can clearly see the whole mirror.

Its just not an ideal car for anyone tall.

So what would be an efficient fuel wise car under 30k new in those model years that would be comfortable for a tall person.

By 2019/2020 a 2016 30k car should be witbin our affordability.

By then our Mazda will be 7 or 8 years old.

We average 7.3 liters per 100km combined hwy city but 95% of the driving is city since we dont have US type freeways. Seems that would be about 32mpg give or take.
My experience is, you can't determine what cars will be best for someone 'tall' without sitting in one. My workmate has a husband who is 6' 4", and they ended up with a MINI of all things; they said it had the best headroom of any car they tested (on the smaller side).
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:22 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
All I can say is, it does seem to drink gas. It lends itself to lead-foot driving, and I'm getting terrible readings on the built-in mpg meter ...

I'll be driving it up to Grand Canyon later this week, so I'll get to see how it goes on a long drive.
Might be the 4wd sucking it up, or the tranny.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well, like I said, it has shitty rear legroom and poor rear area storage, but since I was alone and traveling only with a backpack, that wasn't my area of interest. And you are talking about the 500x, right - not the 500? The 500x is bigger all round than the 500; they are just designed to 'look' the same.

So you did not find the seat comfortable? I was shocked by how I could adjust it to my exact liking. And with a 2.4 Liter engine in such a small body, it is pretty darned peppy.

I would never buy one myself, as I said. But I have to applaud them on what they got right.
500, 500x - makes no odds to me, may as well ask which bollock I'd like to be kicked in to be honest, I've always found those small FIATs to be utterly unpleasant cars anyway.

I'm average height, so I could fit, but only that black knight from The Holy Grail could have fit in the seat behind me. I had two gigs that week though, and while the venue provided the PA, I had a hell of a time trying to fit two guitars and my gig bag in the back. Might as well forget about the boot for anything bigger than a single grocery bag with an apple in it ...

I hated it. I honestly don't think the bigger engine and the larger size of the 500x would have changed my mind. I'm all for hot hatches but more along the lines of the Golf GTI/Focus ST than those.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 9:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
500, 500x - makes no odds to me...
They are quite nice though and not to bad to insure and when parking is so shit and tight like it is around us, small car ain't so bad.

Though someone around here was bombing across town in a sup'ed up Smart car, which was taking the piss and it went like grease lightening.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There's very little similarity between the 500 and the 500X, barring branding/looks. According to this website:

Quote: While the Fiat 500 stays true to its miniature status, measuring about 3.55 meters (140 inches) in length, the 500L sits at 4.1 meters (163 inches), while the 500X is 4.25 meters (167 inches) long. For the record, the cargo capacity of the 500X is almost double compared to that of its little sibling.

Read more: Fiat 500X vs 500L vs 500: Italian Family Comparison

That's 27 inches longer ... almost 2.5 feet.

Last edited by Steerpike; Mar 21st 2016 at 10:33 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the '60s in Germany, Fiats got a lot of respect. I bought a Fiat Strada in 1980, I believe, and really enjoyed owning it. It was comfortable, shifted smoothly and could carry huge amounts of stuff. It had one quirk - it didn't like cold weather. In January, on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the carburetor would freeze open and the car would idle at 70 - 75 mph, rather unsettling to say the least, but you could consider it a forerunner of cruise control. We've graduated to BMWs and there is no looking back.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Back in the '60s in Germany, Fiats got a lot of respect. I bought a Fiat Strada in 1980, I believe, and really enjoyed owning it. It was comfortable, shifted smoothly and could carry huge amounts of stuff. It had one quirk - it didn't like cold weather. In January, on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the carburetor would freeze open and the car would idle at 70 - 75 mph, rather unsettling to say the least, but you could consider it a forerunner of cruise control. We've graduated to BMWs and there is no looking back.
Fiats here in the US had a TERRIBLE reputation back in the 70s and 80s, and they exited the market completely. I think that is, ironically, why they are calling every car they sell here now the '500', because with the release of the 'original' (retro) 500 a few years ago, they finally had a decent brand image again, so they are now trying to capitalize on that name and 'look' with everything they are introducing here. I actually bought a Fiat convertible in my first year here in the US (83). I had the good sense NOT to sell my Honda Accord (which I paid $3k for, with 77,000 miles). I never did get the Fiat to run for more than a few days at a time, and finally gave it away. When it ran, though, it was rather nice on a sunny day!

Interestingly, Audi also had a terrible reputation back in the 80s, with their Audi 5000 'unintended acceleration' issues. They too almost exited the market for many years as a result. Who'd have thought, given Audi's current attraction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.