Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

A Toyota may keep going and going and going, but you'll die of boredom driving it!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:13 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Should have said that it would be to replace a 99 Lincoln Towncar. Perhaps I am being a little optimistic on the budget.
Have you tired of the Panther platform? You could get a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. (I personally don't care much for them, but they're easy to fix and hold up reasonably well to abuse.)
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:14 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a Honda Civic? Not sure if it's big enough, but there are some around in your price range.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Have you tired of the Panther platform? You could get a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. (I personally don't care much for them, but they're easy to fix and hold up reasonably well to abuse.)
Well it doesn't fit in the garage for a start!

I agree that they are tanks but the list of expensive things that need fixing or will need fixing in the next year seems to be growing.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
A Toyota may keep going and going and going, but you'll die of boredom driving it!!!!
Beats endless repairs and breakdowns. That gets even more boring.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

The great thing about buying a used Buick is that there are plenty of low mileage examples. And if the car is for occasional use, then I would much rather have a Buick driven by Grandma for 30,000 miles than a Toyota driven by her grandson for 150,000 miles.

I don't particularly care for GM cars, but you're drinking the KoolAid. Any car with 300,000 miles on it should be viewed with a jaundiced eye. At that point, you're buying the previous owners moreso than the manufacturer.
I have drunk no koolaid, but I did spend 30 years in the business, as Sales Manager appraised vehicles for wholesale value and oversaw the cost of mechanical fitness work etc on well more than 30 thousand vehicles of every major manufacturer, as well as dealing with any and all after sale mechanical issues. I got to know the lemons fairly quickly and could drive a vehicle for 5 minutes and estimate the mechanical safety cost within $100 or so of the final cost. Some makes I could give a pretty accurate estimate just based on previous experience and never getting behind the wheel. I knew which cars to pay peanuts for and which to pay a lot for and which to not take at all.

There is truth to the fact that you are buying the previous owner to a large degree, and that is not a bad thing if you know how to find the truth. Most Toyota owners I knew where not young people and were inclined to keep their cars for a longer period and as a result take great care with maintenance. Buying from a private sale you may find they have all of the service records. Buying from a dealer (if it is a Toyota dealer), they can pull up the service history from Toyota. Or one can easily go to a Toyota dealer with a serial number and they can pull it up for you. It just takes a little effort to do some research.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The great thing about buying a used Buick is that there are plenty of low mileage examples. And if the car is for occasional use, then I would much rather have a Buick driven by Grandma for 30,000 miles than a Toyota driven by her grandson for 150,000 miles. .....
I can see your point, but I'm not sure I agree. 30,000 miles round town, to the grocery, the doctor, and church on Sundays is rough on the engine, and rougher on the transmission, exhaust system, and brakes. 150,000 miles 30 or more miles at a time, and lots of miles on the interstate or major highways is easy on the engine, transmission, exhaust system, and brakes.

As of today, my Accord, if I'd sold it to you with 150,000 miles on it would have given you 104,000 miles of almost trouble free motoring with only a cat at 200,000 and steering gaiters and a lamda sensor at 240,000. ..... The last time I had any work done on the brakes was at 80,000, but I was warned at the last service the pads are going to need replacing soon, but I can't exactly complain as they'll have done 180,000 miles by the time they're replaced. I just wonder why the original set only lasted 80,000.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 16th 2013 at 1:56 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I can see your point, but I'm not sure I agree. 30,000 miles round town, to the grocery, the doctor, and church on Sundays is rough on the engine, and rougher on the exhaust system. 150,000 miles 30 or more miles at a time, and lots of miles on the interstate or major highways is easy on the engine, transmission, exhaust system and brakes.

As of today, my Accord, if I'd sold it to you with 150,000 miles on it would have given you 104,000 miles of trouble free motoring with only a cat at 200,000 and steering gaiters at 240,000.
You are spot on about extremely low mileage city, stop and go driving. Far worse on a car, in many ways, than the alternative.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:02 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Well it doesn't fit in the garage for a start!
The obvious solution is to spend $20,000 so that you have a garage large enough to hold your $5,000 car.

Whatever you do, don't buy a $1,000 car:

Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Beats endless repairs and breakdowns. That gets even more boring.
That's where we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The obvious solution is to spend $20,000 so that you have a garage large enough to hold your $5,000 car.

Whatever you do, don't buy a $1,000 car:
I guess that I should tell you that my daughters friend only paid $350 for the Camry. But you are right in that too cheap usually means disaster. You should see some of the crap that sells here for 2 and 3 thousand dollars. Pure garbage. It is laughable.

How about a 91 Chevy Monza for $2,200 http://neoauto.clasificados.pe/autos...gasolina-rezsy

Or a 25 year old Nissan Sunny (translation...crap) for $3,100

http://neoauto.clasificados.pe/autos...gasolina-rhz4c

$100 cars, the both of them.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by markonline1
That's where we'll have to agree to disagree.
I love to agree to disagree. Especially when the OP on the topic was more concerned with reliability than with a sporty driving experience.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:43 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

How about a TR7?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Should have said that it would be to replace a 99 Lincoln Towncar. Perhaps I am being a little optimistic on the budget. ....
Unless there are several expensive things wrong with your Towncar, I can't help but wonder if you shouldn't just keep the $5,000 and use it to repair and renovate that as needs be?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
How about a TR7?
He was asking about a car, not a hobby!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.