Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Sep 22nd 2015, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

My UK 'tree hugger' friend sent me this link not long ago ... End of the road for diesel cars? Owners face additional charges and big depreciation - BT
suggesting the NOX emissions are going to kill diesel.

It's pretty amazing that a company could get caught doing this trick (software trick to detect emissions testing). I mean ... that's pretty darned blatant. I guess they will claim, possibly rightly, that they needed the 'code' for testing purposes, and that they didn't intend for it to be used 'in production' ... but wow, this is pretty amazingly embarrassing for the company!
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 7:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder how many other companies are doing the same thing. Hilarious if they all are.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 7:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yup, I agree - which was why in the mid 1980's manufacturers were pushing for "lean burn" instead of cats for the UK and Europe.
Which is what they did in Japan...interesting twist on how things went.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 7:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Wonder how many other companies are doing the same thing. Hilarious if they all are.
And if they weren't, I bet they're asking why they weren't
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 8:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious, ... and bizarre, given that the other players in the diesel car market have gone with urea injection technology, so why would they also use software cheat coding?
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 8:09 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious, ... and bizarre, given that the other players in the diesel car market have gone with urea injection technology, so why would they also use software cheat coding?
No idea. Looks like Bosch are in this somewhere, so it does open the "who else might have bought this" door a smidge.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can tell, the estate car/ station wagon sector is now almost exclusively the preserve of VW and Audi.

The problem with the smallest SUV/CUVs is that they give up a lot of width in exchange for very modest additional luggage space in the back. I think for someone who needs "a little more room in the back", a Ford Edge or a Nissan Murano would be a more likely to meet their needs.
Really - give up width? wasn't aware of that. What I do know is, my new CR-V is shorter - way shorter - than my old Acura TL, which was a very conventional 4-door sedan layout. Counter-intuitive to me.

Originally Posted by Anian
In-laws had a CRV, not really what I was after and got low gas mileage. Now I am under strict instructions not to even bother looking until one of our current cars breaks! Thanks though.
My CR-V gets anywhere from 24 to 28 overall (over thousands of miles of driving); mix of long runs (28+) to short city drives (24-). Not great, but - certainly not bad. I absolutely LOVE the CR-V's use of space - great rear space, folding seats, places to stuff things inside, etc. I also love the seating position - my back has never been better (my doctor said my low-slung cars were a big factor in my back problems). It is quite noisy though. I'm toying with the idea of a Lexus RX next - I want quiet and smooth ...
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 9:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Really - give up width? wasn't aware of that. .....
It's one way that manufacturers have being reducing wind resistance to improve fuel economy - vehicles have become narrower, especially the smallest, lightest vehicles, and most vehicles are significantly narrower at the top, compared to older cars which had doors that were much closer to vertical, whereas now the windows of most car doors lean towards the centerline, which cuts a significant amount off the frontal area.

The narrowing of the "greenhouse" is also one reason why there has been a move to install side-curtain airbags, because the occupants' heads are much closer to the top of the door than in older cars.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 22nd 2015 at 9:22 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Can the VW diesels be made to comply with emissions requirements with just a software fix, or are the diesels inherently dirty, thus perhaps in need of a redesign and replacement per car? That would be huge, in addition to the fines and loss of good will and thus sales for the brand.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Can the VW diesels be made to comply with emissions requirements with just a software fix, or are the diesels inherently dirty, thus perhaps in need of a redesign and replacement per car? That would be huge, in addition to the fines and loss of good will and thus sales for the brand.
Looks like most can be "fixed" by running in "test mode" (they were passing, after all). Presumably doing this would have other repercussions though, probably with MPG/performance or that "mode" would already be the default. No idea if any physical wear would increase. Not good in any event.

Watching end users trying to jump on the wagon (heh) by claiming they were buying a TDI to be "green" should be funny. I bet we see a massive amount of concerned-for-the-planet people all clamoring for their 10 dollar stake of whatever the lawyers eventually carve out for themselves.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Watching end users trying to jump on the wagon (heh) by claiming they were buying a TDI to be "green" should be funny. I bet we see a massive amount of concerned-for-the-planet people all clamoring for their 10 dollar stake of whatever the lawyers eventually carve out for themselves.
Might be a big class action suit. Read about the Hyundai mpg payout. It's not $10.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 4:18 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Really - give up width? wasn't aware of that. What I do know is, my new CR-V is shorter - way shorter - than my old Acura TL, which was a very conventional 4-door sedan layout. Counter-intuitive to me.

My CR-V gets anywhere from 24 to 28 overall (over thousands of miles of driving); mix of long runs (28+) to short city drives (24-). Not great, but - certainly not bad. I absolutely LOVE the CR-V's use of space - great rear space, folding seats, places to stuff things inside, etc. I also love the seating position - my back has never been better (my doctor said my low-slung cars were a big factor in my back problems). It is quite noisy though. I'm toying with the idea of a Lexus RX next - I want quiet and smooth ...
We also have a CRV and it is has been very reliable. I have been looking at the different reviews for SUV's. I noticed that the Acura MDX comes out a little better. Is there a reason you would choose the Lexus over the Acura?

Not being in the US I have no idea of most of the models until we get there what any of them are really like, at the moment it is just internet searches. So any real life recommendations would be most appreciated.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Might be a big class action suit. Read about the Hyundai mpg payout. It's not $10.
I predict a coupon (non transferable) toward the purchase of your next VW and a multi-billion sum to be split between the lawyers and some nameless .gov department who will spend it on..... something
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 4:33 pm

I predict a coupon (non transferable) toward the purchase of your next VW and a multi-billion sum to be split between the lawyers and some nameless .gov department who will spend it on..... something
I predict the price of all cars will rise to cover the risk that other manufacturers are stuck with multi-billion dollar fines. The same has happened to the price of gas after the BP/New Horizons fine.

Just like taxes, only people pay fines.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I predict the price of all cars will rise to cover the risk that other manufacturers are stuck with multi-billion dollar fines. The same has happened to the price of gas after the BP/New Horizons fine.
You have a source for that? Because at first sight that's a claim that doesn't make any sense. I can explain why if needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.