Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jul 7th 2015, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Friends don't let friends buy Chevys!
Does this apply to all Chevys ? (Disclaimer I bought my first one ever last year, a 2014 corvette )
Old Jul 7th 2015, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Does this apply to all Chevys ? (Disclaimer I bought my first one ever last year, a 2014 corvette )
Most definitely!

Just wait until you see the price of a new set of boots for that puppy!

Actually, I've been to the Corvette Museum and toured the factory in Bowling Green, Ky (before the sinkhole!). It was interesting, but not enough to make me want to own one. I think they are more reliable than other Chevys - not because they actually are good, but because no-one drives them very far! The average age of a Corvette driver is, what? 60?

But, whatever floats your boat.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 12:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... Actually, I've been to the Corvette Museum and toured the factory in Bowling Green, Ky (before the sinkhole!). It was interesting, but not enough to make me want to own one. I think they are more reliable than other Chevys - not because they actually are good, but because no-one drives them very far! The average age of a Corvette driver is, what? 60?
I think the new ones look the best ever, and Chevy seems to be increasingly serious about flogging them in Europe. .... Presumably someone finally pointed out that the round rear lights make it look like a kit car, so they have gone for lights that are definitely Ferrariesque.

That said it'll a number of years before I am old enough to seriously consider buying one.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Most definitely!

Just wait until you see the price of a new set of boots for that puppy!

Actually, I've been to the Corvette Museum and toured the factory in Bowling Green, Ky (before the sinkhole!). It was interesting, but not enough to make me want to own one. I think they are more reliable than other Chevys - not because they actually are good, but because no-one drives them very far! The average age of a Corvette driver is, what? 60?

Around $1.5k for a new set of OEM tires.

I've got a few years before I met the correct corvette owner demographic.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:08 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a nice line of (what looked to me like) new Camaros at our town's 4th of July parade. I don't care if they're Chevys, or what anyone says, I'd have one of them in a heartbeat if money was no object and I liked filling up every 3 days ...

I'd also have a Mustang or a Corvette, or just about any Japanese performance model, or an Audi R8, or an Aston or a ... well, you get the picture
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I saw a nice line of (what looked to me like) new Camaros at our town's 4th of July parade. I don't care if they're Chevys, or what anyone says, I'd have one of them in a heartbeat if money was no object and I liked filling up every 3 days ...

I'd also have a Mustang or a Corvette, or just about any Japanese performance model, or an Audi R8, or an Aston or a ... well, you get the picture
This is what the Stig got out of my crappy Chevy earlier this year

Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

This is what the Stig got out of my crappy Chevy earlier this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ErOX8V-m3o
Nice.

I drive a Chevy now (not a Corvette, though ), had it just over a year and it has served me well so far. I drove a Vauxhall in the UK, too. Had no issues with that, either.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
A friend took the plunge and bought a Chevy Malibu, against the advice of everyone else. Turns out to be a pretty good car, much improved over recent GM efforts. Any thoughts in that direction?
I got a Malibu as a rental car last time I was in the US (not by design -just whatever Avis happened to have at SFO...).

Was quite surprised - probably the best rental car I've had.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:59 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by fozzyb
I got a Malibu as a rental car last time I was in the US (not by design -just whatever Avis happened to have at SFO...).

Was quite surprised - probably the best rental car I've had.
I had one as a loaner, when my old car was being fixed for the umpteenth time just before it crapped out on me. Think it was a 2013 or a 2014 model, but I thought it was quite nice. It did everything I needed it to do.

We just rented out of Avis at SFO ourselves last week, though they gave us a Nissan Altima. I'd never driven one before, or even been in one, it was quite nice, pretty comfortable for us given most of our drives were in excess of 3 hours during the trip.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
..... We just rented out of Avis at SFO ourselves last week, though they gave us a Nissan Altima. I'd never driven one before, or even been in one, it was quite nice, pretty comfortable for us given most of our drives were in excess of 3 hours during the trip.
The Altima was Hertz's default midsized car a few years ago when I was renting for business travel. It isn't at all bad, though I have no interest in owning one (or any other Nissan that doesn't have a three-letter acronym for a name ), but the Sentra, which I rented once (and not by choice), was a nasty POS - noisey and gutless, and no good for driving on journeys of several hours.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:31 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The Altima was Hertz's default midsized car a few years ago when I was renting for business travel. It isn't at all bad, though I have no interest in owning one (or any other Nissan that doesn't have a three-letter acronym for a name ), but the Sentra, which I rented once was a nasty POS - noisey and gutless, and no good for driving on journeys of several hours.
Maybe it was just a nice surprise to get a rental that wasn't a bloody Chrysler 200 (now that was a shit car and I had to drive it 450 miles to Kentucky the last time) or a shitty Cavalier, but it did the job nonetheless when we were driving around Yosemite and Sequoia.

I've never driven a Sentra, but I've never had the urge to either.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
The shunning should have begun by now.
In my defence, my friend, Joe, owned a Hundai and failed to inform me that he was buying a Chevy until after the fact. Maybe he isn't really that close a friend.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

The Corvette is a fantastic car. So too is the Camaro. We have a Camaro SS at work that is quite frankly a beast!
Old Jul 7th 2015, 3:18 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Around $1.5k
That's not TOO bad, providing you don't light them up too often.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
The Corvette is a fantastic car. So too is the Camaro. We have a Camaro SS at work that is quite frankly a beast!
I owned a 2007 Corvette convertible with manual shift, of course. It was a fantastic car and surprised me by returning 26 mpg on the highway. My wife and I drove it a thousand miles north to Prince Edward Island that summer and enjoyed the drive immensely. For its time it was advanced, offering magnetically-controlled suspension and heads-up display.

One problem was the heavy clutch. I got stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic for an hour on the Sure-Kill Expressway in Philadelphia during rush hour. By the time I made it to the Turnpike my left thigh was on fire. (Well, I was at the time a few years past the median owner demographic) Likewise, returning from PEI we were in stop-and-go traffic on a highway leading to the George Washington Bridge. We had to swap driving so that my left thigh rather than hers would pay the price.

One other annoyance was - and still is - that when starting out from a light, the shifter goes from 1st gear to 4th, second is locked out. They do that to eke out enough mileage to avoid the gas-guzzler tax. There are after-market chips to defeat it, but the dealer wouldn't install one for mine. In 2009 I traded it on a Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet, that didn't impress me as much as the Corvette.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Jul 7th 2015 at 3:22 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.