Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:15 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by markonline1
I can't argue that that looks nice. I've also seen a fantastic looking F-150 at work that frankly looks drop dead gorgeous. I'm also not knocking anyone for owning a truck or an SUV. I've just never been one to own a vehicle to just get from A to B. Mine have been to get from A to B via C and D with a smile on my face. Can't see that ever happening in a truck. But as I said, I've only been here 5 months, give me a few years I'll probably be posting pics of my new truck LOL
You fresh-off-the-boat newbies with your quaint liberal ideas of 4-cylinder stick-shift cars - time to man-up to a (minimum) 5Lt SUV/truck - anything less and you might as well pin a rainbow flag to you car and have "I love Hillary" stickers in the window.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to trucks, the only way to go is this. This is the new 2014 Toyota Tundra model with the humongous cab. Like a living room.

I used to be a Ford man when it came to trucks, but these babies were a whole different world. We couldn't keep them on the lot. When they first came out the Chevy store up the road asked to borrow one for a sales meeting. They thought they were going to show their sales guys that they had nothing to worry about, Didn't work out that way as every one of their sales guys talked with ours and said they were scared of what that truck was going to do to their sales.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-2014-toyota-tundra-front-view.jpg   Let's talk about cars-2014-toyota-tundra-dash.jpg  
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:22 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I do only have a 4 cylinder engine.............. at the moment.
There is a place for four cylinder engines.

0-60 in under 4 seconds.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:30 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Let's talk about cars

6 MPG LOL. How is it possible to even design an engine capable of that.
This is how.

7.8ltr v8.

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Oh yes. Those were definitely gas hogs and heavy as hell. Not something you wanted to take a corner with at high speed either.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:59 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Oh yes. Those were definitely gas hogs and heavy as hell. Not something you wanted to take a corner with at high speed either.
I loved that car.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Still look like the Focus ST has to be the front runner (assuming I can force myself out of another MX-5).
Not eaten that many doughnuts
Old Aug 24th 2013, 8:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I didn't think there was any way back once you'd owned a truck*. I certainly can't imagine life without one. I've used mine to carry tree branches and prunings, a full size wheelie bin, the remains of an old sofa, a lawn mower, blower and weed eater, fence posts and boards. .... Did I mention that that was since last Sunday? .....

Today my truck was pretending to be a road roller. I loaded it with a cubic yard of rock and I used.it to pack down broken rock over a layer of fill dirt, to fill a subsided hollow in the driveway.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That was one I suggested, and it is probably the best commercially available (in the US) small sports car this side of a Lotus. For me the RWD would be a plus, but I suspect I wouldn't actually fit into the car.
The best? I don't know. But if the OP is looking for an MX5 with more space in the boot, they're definitely worth a look. Given that they're designed to hold four wheels and tyres with the rear seats folded flat, there should be enough room for two bulldogs in there.

As to cabin space, I found the fairly roomy, but I'm only 5'11".

The main downside I saw with that car is that pretty much all the reviews stating it needs more power are correct; if I'd bought one I'd be counting the days to the end of the warranty so I could fit a supercharger to it.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
The best? I don't know. .... As to cabin space, I found the fairly roomy, but I'm only 5'11". ....
Right, but there's another 6" of me, which is one of many reasons I'm a fan of Clarkson - if he can drive it, I can drive it!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:51 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
The truck may not be inevitable, but round here I honestly cannot think of a single family that doesn't have either an SUV or a truck......
Most have SUVs orminivans, and if they have the minivan, the other car is a truck. I assume this combination is to prove that the man of the house has not been totally emasculated. Given what my wife drives, I should drive the biggest most jacked up badass truck on the road!! But I don't....its an old mans truck...150 Platinum ecoboost, with the ultimate old-man accessory....the tailgate step
Okay, so this has been bothering me for ages - why does Ford need so many bloody models of F150?! I mean I have no idea what the top of the line model is anymore!! It used to be the King Ranch but I guess it's now the Limited but to be honest I'm kinda failing to see the difference other than aesthetic tweaks between the KR, limited and Platinum! I just counted and there are 10 models in the F150 lineup (not including cabin/bed options etc).

/rant
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Bink
Okay, so this has been bothering me for ages - why does Ford need so many bloody models of F150?! I mean I have no idea what the top of the line model is anymore!! It used to be the King Ranch but I guess it's now the Limited but to be honest I'm kinda failing to see the difference other than aesthetic tweaks between the KR, limited and Platinum! I just counted and there are 10 models in the F150 lineup (not including cabin/bed options etc).

/rant
No idea, but I couldn't drive something called a "King Ranch".
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:36 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the King Ranch was above the Limited. No idea about the Platinum. And then there is the Raptor (grrr, manly, grr).
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:38 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I think Ford US should bring back the trim level naming from Ford Europe in the 80s. I'd love to be driving along behind an F-150 Popular Plus one day
Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think Ford US should bring back the trim level naming from Ford Europe in the 80s. I'd love to be driving along behind an F-150 Popular Plus one day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.