Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jun 15th 2015, 12:05 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

So what are the thoughts on modding here? To mod or not to mod? Cosmetic mods vs. performance mods?

For me, I don't get cosmetic mods. You either like the look of the car or you don't, but if you try to change it, 99 times out of 100 it's going to look worse, and we can all find lots of examples where it has gone spectacularly wrong.

Performance mods - I'd rather buy a car capable of it in the first place, but at least these make a degree of sense to me. Still not about messing around with every single bit of my car though.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 12:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
So what are the thoughts on modding here? To mod or not to mod? Cosmetic mods vs. performance mods?

For me, I don't get cosmetic mods. You either like the look of the car or you don't, but if you try to change it, 99 times out of 100 it's going to look worse, and we can all find lots of examples where it has gone spectacularly wrong. .....
This, 100%. I can't think of many cosmetic mods that improve the look, though there used to be a body kit you could put on an MR2 (Mk2) that made it look a good bit like a Ferrari 308/328, which was kinda cool.

Performance mods - maybe, but if a car doesn't perform well, assuming performance is what you're looking for in a car, wouldn't you be better off buying a better performing car in the first place?

FWW We bought the wheel upgrades when we ordered our F250 and Mustang, and the Mustang has the upgraded manufacturer installed 400w stereo system (the 1000w system would have taken up a good part of the boot space).
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

For me, I don't get cosmetic mods. You either like the look of the car or you don't, but if you try to change it, 99 times out of 100 it's going to look worse, and we can all find lots of examples where it has gone spectacularly wrong.

Performance mods - I'd rather buy a car capable of it in the first place, but at least these make a degree of sense to me. Still not about messing around with every single bit of my car though.
I really don't get "stance" even if it is "hellaflush sick yo".
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm both for cosmetic and performance mods, and cosmetic mods can absolutely improve the appearance. For example, a small mod I made on my Astra was to change the chrome trip on the grille and color code it. A small mod but made a massive difference. To the mustang, I've added a small chin spoiler (which should have been on there as standard as far as I'm concerned) and a black decklid panel. Again, only a small mod but makes a big difference. I'll post some before and afters in a bit and you can all decide. There is a lot more to cosmetic modding than simply bolting on a mahoooosive spoiler and adding go faster stripes. As for performance modding, again, I'm a big fan. Haven't bothered with my Mustang as the gains don't seem too great, but I remapped my diesel Astra to bring it up to 200bhp and just shy of 330lb/ft of torque and turned it into a rocket ship. The only thing I will say is modding can be very addictive.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:11 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really see the attraction for modding cars too much. So many available "options" from the manufacturer these days has taken a lot of the point out of it.

That said, I do intend buying a new Diffuser for the coupe at some point. More cosmetic than anything.

Complete customs on the other hand, that is interesting. I used to build Lowriders, back in the day. Hardtails mainly. I'm too old for that shit now, but if I had the time and space, I wouldn't mind putting a rod together, or maybe a small classic (Sprite or similar).
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:11 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I really don't get "stance" even if it is "hellaflush sick yo".
Stop that.

Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go then, before and afters (my photobucket app makes the pics huge so I've stuck them behind spoilers).

Astra before

Spoiler:

Astra after

Spoiler:

Mustang before

Spoiler:

Mustang after

Spoiler:

With regards to my Astra, a previous, and often bought up argument is wouldn't you just buy a higher performing car in the first place. Well, I did. I had the VXR, but I was getting about 24mpg. The high cost of fuel, along with a 50 mile a day commute, plus the increase in road tax meant it went in favour of the diesel. One remap, a set of springs and rear anti roll bar later and I had a car that could keep up with my old VXR whilst doing 45mpg and a 50% reduction in road tax (lower insurance too, even with the mods).
The Mustang, the front end sat too high, the small chin spoiler sorts that. The rear end was just too bland. Color coded wing mirrors look much better. The rear decklid panel sorts that (although stripes would have sorted that too). The dual exhaust I also did. No performance gains as I didn't want to go down the route of a cai, but looks better (like the chin spoiler, should have been standard), plus there was an axle back exhaust on the car when I bought it that shook the neighborhood. That had to go. The duals look better, and sound much better. Again, the argument is why not just get a V8. Well, I don't wit any car payments just yet, with the money I had to spend, I would have had to get the previous model in a V8 which I didn't want. Plus I had a long commute so didn't want the high gas bill, nor did I particularly want the higher insurance costs.'with a baby on the way, I wanted to keep costs right down. I should really have bought a 4 door civic, but I wanted a mustang, so I bought the V6.
There are plenty of mods, both cosmetic and performance that can improve the car from the factory look IMO
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Some bumper/grill kits do look good, as does some light housing mods like blacking out the blinkers.

Don't know about the Mustang brake light type mods though.

As for performance, some of the mods are cheap and if you can't afford a monster car, why not.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Stop that.

To be honest I have no idea what the sentence that I wrote means. I just see it on Jalopnik a lot.

I have a friend who added some sort of carbon fiber front splitter to his BMW and seems to be always complaining when it hits an ant.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by markonline1
Here we go then, before and afters (my photobucket app makes the pics huge so I've stuck them behind spoilers).

Astra before

Astra after

Mustang before

Mustang after

With regards to my Astra, a previous, and often bought up argument is wouldn't you just buy a higher performing car in the first place. Well, I did. I had the VXR, but I was getting about 24mpg. The high cost of fuel, along with a 50 mile a day commute, plus the increase in road tax meant it went in favour of the diesel. One remap, a set of springs and rear anti roll bar later and I had a car that could keep up with my old VXR whilst doing 45mpg and a 50% reduction in road tax (lower insurance too, even with the mods).
The Mustang, the front end sat too high, the small chin spoiler sorts that. The rear end was just too bland. Color coded wing mirrors look much better. The rear decklid panel sorts that (although stripes would have sorted that too). The dual exhaust I also did. No performance gains as I didn't want to go down the route of a cai, but looks better (like the chin spoiler, should have been standard), plus there was an axle back exhaust on the car when I bought it that shook the neighborhood. That had to go. The duals look better, and sound much better. Again, the argument is why not just get a V8. Well, I don't wit any car payments just yet, with the money I had to spend, I would have had to get the previous model in a V8 which I didn't want. Plus I had a long commute so didn't want the high gas bill, nor did I particularly want the higher insurance costs.'with a baby on the way, I wanted to keep costs right down. I should really have bought a 4 door civic, but I wanted a mustang, so I bought the V6.
There are plenty of mods, both cosmetic and performance that can improve the car from the factory look IMO
Those are nicely done.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutek
Those are nicely done.
Cheers mate
Old Jun 15th 2015, 3:52 am

To be honest I have no idea what the sentence that I wrote means. I just see it on Jalopnik a lot.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stan...FcOfgAodC34A7A
Old Jun 15th 2015, 4:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who added some sort of carbon fiber front splitter to his BMW and seems to be always complaining when it hits an ant.
My Alfa 164 had a nice-looking splitter, but it was too low to be at all practical, and made it difficult to transition from the downramp in a multistorey carpark back onto the level. So while I think that a splitter would improve the look of my Mustang it would forever be hitting things. I am happy that it doesn't have a splitter but I wouldn't be averse to a lower front end if I can scrape together the funds for a much fancier Mustang one day.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 7:35 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1

Astra before

Astra after

Mustang before

Mustang after

The cosmetic mods look nice, but don't do anything for me - personal preference only. Clearly we are 100 miles from a chavalier-type mod here though - the two are VERY different.

I certainly understand performance mods. I changed the suspension on my RS6 and got a stage 1 remap. You can always make a car faster, and there seems to be enough room in the design of modern cars to not worry about taking every component to the limit. But I try to settle out for what I want the car to do. I understand altering the performance of a car that someone is personally happy with the looks of more than trying to alter the looks of something where the performance ticks all the boxes. Does that make sense?

I will add that it seems to be a bit different over here. A mustang seems to almost be designed as a blank canvas from which you start modifying yourself by design.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I like RestoMods. Classic cars and trucks with a modern chassis. With RestoMods you get old school styling and modern conveniences like disc brakes, airbag suspension , power steering and automatic transmission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.