Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Hyundai i40 = Hyundai Sonata.
I've driven a Sonata over here (although many moons ago) and this i40 we drove was superior to that. Not saying it's not, but the whole ride was nicer.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You may appreciate this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yKke_yEw4pA

(Appropriately, he spends some time driving it on the wrong side of the road.)
Nice vehicle, I wouldn't say no to one, but I currently drive an F250, which has more space in the back seats than that one. I also special-ordered mine with two wheel drive, which means independent front suspension, front coil springs, and about 10ft off the turning circle, and with a manual gearbox, which I don't think is an option on the current F250.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
.... it was a diesel and got fabulous gas mileage.
It was a diesel that also runs on gas?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 23rd 2013 at 5:08 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:29 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
We just traded one of the cars in for a pickup. Got fed up of trying to borrow one every time we need one. Now we've got it surprising how useful it is. Comfortable to.

Now all I have to do is persuade Mrs L to let me trade my Grand Cherokee in for one of these. http://www.drivesrt.com/2014/grand-cherokee-srt/
Now we're talking! They're awesome! I'd also like to have a go in an AMG ML63 too!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:50 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

OH sent me out to find a Winter car, and was secretly hoping I'd return with an F150..... So I suggested a Veloster Turbo but whilst the ride / acceleration was reasonably good the interior was somewhat cheap and plasticky, and the dealership owner was a bit of a wally. Looked at the Focus ST which was way better than the Veloster but ended up with an Audi Quattro and studded tyres - we just get too much snow here.....
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:57 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nice vehicle, I wouldn't say no to one
I found AutoExpress' outsider's perspective of an uber-American truck to be fairly amusing.

Many American vehicles seem to be horribly out of place abroad. I doubt that you'd want to own a Ford Super Duty back in the UK, for example; not only would it be costly and impractical, but it would also be an embarrassment. Yet here, most people wouldn't even look at it twice, and owning one would seem perfectly normal.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nice vehicle, I wouldn't say no to one, but I currently drive an F250, which has more space in the back seats than that one. I also special-ordered mine with two wheel drive, which means independent front suspension, front coil springs, and about 10ft off the turning circle, and with a manual gearbox, which I don't think is an option on the current F250.

It was a diesel that also runs on gas?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I found AutoExpress' outsider's perspective of an uber-American truck to be fairly amusing.

Many American vehicles seem to be horribly out of place abroad. I doubt that you'd want to own a Ford Super Duty back in the UK, for example; not only would it be costly and impractical, but it would also be an embarrassment. Yet here, most people wouldn't even look at it twice, and owning one would seem perfectly normal.
I was really surprised to see a lot more trucks on the road in the UK. Particularly this one:

Not that it has any similarity to big gas guzzlers over here, I'm sure. But just something different. I imagine parking them isn't easy.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-10166320.jpeg  
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:09 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine parking them isn't easy.
Especially as you would need some sort of visual impairment to be driving one to begin with.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:25 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I was really surprised to see a lot more trucks on the road in the UK. Particularly this one:
That looks like a Nissan. From what I remember, Japanese trucks weren't that uncommon back home. We had a builder who lived next door to us in the 80s who had a little Toyota pick-up for work.

I think in the UK though, Transit vans and Range Rovers do a lot of the work that trucks do here. The local climate is not always friendly to the open bed concept
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That looks like a Nissan. From what I remember, Japanese trucks weren't that uncommon back home. We had a builder who lived next door to us in the 80s who had a little Toyota pick-up for work.

I think in the UK though, Transit vans and Range Rovers do a lot of the work that trucks do here. The local climate is not always friendly to the open bed concept
But they're not little, I did see a lot more little pick up trucks driving around as well though. These are more mid-range I'd say. They may get fairly decent gas mileage, but again the parking would be the issue for me. Have you seen how small the car park slots are nowadays?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:35 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

But they're not little, I did see a lot more little pick up trucks driving around as well though. These are more mid-range I'd say. They may get fairly decent gas mileage, but again the parking would be the issue for me. Have you seen how small the car park slots are nowadays?
They look little next to most American pickups!!

You see Nissan Frontier's, Mitsubishi L200's and Toyota HiLux's in the UK, albeit the white transit van always appeared more popular (and you don't see many of that ilk here).

It's not just parking - I know some country roads in Berkshire that I'm not even sure you could fit a full size pickup truck down!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:36 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I meant that Toyota in the '80s was little. I used to see some much bigger Mitsubishis/Nissans on the road into work just before I left and then there's always the Hilux ...

They probably do get half decent mileage and I have always heard that at least the Toyotas are good working trucks but I think it's a long while before the Transit loses out to the pickup on the British building site.

Parking spaces have got smaller in the UK? I blame white dog poo, immigrants and the Daily Mail. Not necessarily in that order
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

You lot of either been here too long or I've not been here long enough. The idea of owning a truck horrifies me! If you need it for work, fair enough, otherwise I think I'd rather walk everywhere.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:42 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
walk
Outdoors?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'd drive one in the UK, if I could afford the gas, and it has crossed my mind to ship it, or the Mustang to the UK for a vacation one year. ..... when I have about $3,000 burning a hole in my pocket and I have nothing else to do with it.

I was in London, central London, on business a few years back and I was startled to see a Chevy Silverado 2500 coming down the street! .... It certainly did look out of place, and dwarfed most of the vehicles around it.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 23rd 2013 at 6:56 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.