Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Mar 31st 2015, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

I would put $30 on the difference between the loan payments being a lot more than $30 once you've finished.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I would put $30 on the difference between the loan payments being a lot more than $30 once you've finished.
Most likely, and it's not something we are in the process of doing, the call was just interesting. Going to a dealer for an oil change always leads to a sales person trying to do something to sell you a new car...lol... I am gonna stop hanging around the lot when waiting...lol

We are thinking about paying more each month on the current car to have it paid off sooner, we can get it paid off about 12 months sooner by adding a little over 100 a month, but not sure if there is any benefit to doing so, as I think the interest is all bundled into the monthly payment?

We couldn't get a Mazda 3 last year, so I don't know how it could be done this year. (the bank said no to a Mazda 3, but were okay with a Mazda 2.)
Old Mar 31st 2015, 11:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
..... I feel we would be better off keeping the 2 until it's paid off in 4 years and then depending on how its running decide then if we need a new car.

I just don't see how they can pay off our current car and bundle the remaining into a new loan? .....
They can, car dealers do it all the time. It isn't strictly "bundling" the old loan, but the old loan is paid off using the proceeds of the sale of the car you trade in (it must be paid off when ownership changes) and if there is any shortfall they use some of the loan amount on the new car to pay off the old loan. The problem may be that they're planning to increase the term of the loan (e.g. if your current loan is 36 months, the new loan might be 48 months) to help reduce the payments, so you'd be both paying for longer AND be at greater risk of getting "upside down" in the new car because you'd be paying it off more slowly.

I am sure you are making the right choice for you. At very least I would wait until the loan is close to paid off before deciding. That said, the lowest risk option, which may be a consideration for you, is to trade it before the power-train warranty expires because if the transmission or engine fails out of warranty then obviously its trade-in value would fall sharply.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2015 at 11:48 am.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:04 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Paid off my car loan 1.5 years ago, plan on driving it payment free another 10 years.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Paid off my car loan 1.5 years ago, plan on driving it payment free another 10 years.
We paid off our my Mustang at the end of 2004. We haven't had a car/ vehicle payment since then.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I hope your car allows you to do that. I planned on doing that too (or at least driving it until I hit 200,000 miles) but the piece of shit gave up at just over 100K
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I hope your car allows you to do that. I planned on doing that too ...... but the piece of shit gave up at just over 100K
So you replaced it with a Chevrolet!?!?
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So you replaced it with a Chevrolet!?!?
It was reasonably affordable and it's cheap to run, WGAF beyond that? It's not like I'm made of money anyway. If I was, that'd get spent on the studio before my daily drive.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:04 pm

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I hope your car allows you to do that. I planned on doing that too (or at least driving it until I hit 200,000 miles) but the piece of shit gave up at just over 100K
Well at 50,000 miles to date I hope for another 10 years.

I gave up my Nissan pickup after 200,000.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:07 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

It was reasonably affordable and it's cheap to run, WGAF beyond that? It's not like I'm made of money anyway. If I was, that'd get spent on the studio before my daily drive.
Couple of suggestions...

Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:09 pm
I have a comma problem

Well at 50,000 miles to date I hope for another 10 years.

I gave up my Nissan pickup after 200,000.
You should be all right.

Thanks, but I think I'll try to keep the two things separate for now
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:10 pm

Nashville plates?
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
Couple of suggestions...

[Vox bass car] .....
With respect to the Vox bass two-seater, I think six strings would have been safer, avoiding the headstocks sticking out in front.
It was reasonably affordable and it's cheap to run, WGAF beyond that? .....
Chevys aren't known for their longevity, that's all. ...... That said, I suspect that current American brand cars will last much longer than their predecessors from the 1980s and 90s.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2015 at 1:18 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:15 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

With respect to the Vox bass two-seater, I think six strings would have been safer, avoiding the headstocks sticking out in front.
Safer for who?
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:16 pm
I have a comma problem

I like that they had an actual VOX bass sitting on the back, though, ready for any situation where a bass might be needed on the road. Struggling to come up with one, right now, but a nice touch all the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.