Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:15 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Bink
What happened to the GT-R?
I won't buy a MS3 because I want the GTR obviously. More are starting to pop up on autotrader now.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:21 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Spot on.
Plus, they somehow manage to make it sound like someone dropped a wasps nest onto a sewing machine with a dodgy bearing....
I nearly lost my coffee reading that!

I'm craving a pickup truck these days...

We're starting to do stuff to the house (chair rail, crown molding, landscaping - trees, shrubs etc) and it's starting to look a whole lot more practical to have a pickup! Never thought those words would leave my mouth... I still want to keep the Acadia, but also add a pickup...! and if funds were unlimited a new vette' stingray too! Actually if funds were unlimited I'd probably want an R8 spider but that's complete pie in the sky stuff!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:23 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

So, if I'm reading things correctly, the Mazda Speed 3 and the Focus ST are the same chasis (though with different springing etc)?

I got an email earlier from my mazda guy (where my MX-5 comes from) asking me to come see the Mazda Speed 2014, which I thought was not changing in this model year.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:24 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

We're starting to do stuff to the house (chair rail, crown molding, landscaping - trees, shrubs etc) and it's starting to look a whole lot more practical to have a pickup!
We went from having a Honda Element and a RAM1500 to a Mini Cooper and a MX-5. That took some adjustment in the "what-can-we-carry" dept.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
So, if I'm reading things correctly, the Mazda Speed 3 and the Focus ST are the same chasis (though with different springing etc)?

I got an email earlier from my mazda guy (where my MX-5 comes from) asking me to come see the Mazda Speed 2014, which I thought was not changing in this model year.
The Mazda and the Focus were the same Chassis. Ford sold their stake in Mazda though, so whether the new 2014 is the same, you'd need to check. Was never a fan of the 3 back home. Bought mine after reading rave reviews out here, and gotta say I love driving it. Mine has the same engine as the MS but without the turbo, and it shifts, you just have to rev it. With the turbo, the car would be awesome! Both the MS and ST awesome cars, I think you'd be happy with either. What a nice decision to have to make.

Here you go..... http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...vs-mazdaspeed3

Last edited by markonline1; Aug 23rd 2013 at 4:41 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:42 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Ford used to own a piece of Mazda, and there was much sharing of parts and development. But that relationship has ended, and Mazda will be independent going forward.

Consequently, the new (2014) Mazda3 is on its own platform. The outgoing Mazda3 was on a Ford platform.

Because the 2014 Mazdaspeed3 is a holdover of the old design, it continues to use a Ford platform. The future redesigned version of the car won't.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We went from having a Honda Element and a RAM1500 to a Mini Cooper and a MX-5. That took some adjustment in the "what-can-we-carry" dept.
I didn't think there was any way back once you'd owned a truck*. I certainly can't imagine life without one. I've used mine to carry tree branches and prunings, a full size wheelie bin, the remains of an old sofa, a lawn mower, blower and weed eater, fence posts and boards. .... Did I mention that that was since last Sunday?

* I did hear that if you've driven a RAM, there actually is a way back, .... being towed behind a wrecker!

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 23rd 2013 at 4:45 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I didn't think there was any way back once you'd owned a truck*. I certainly can't imagine life without one. I've used mine to carry tree branches and prunings, a full size wheelie bin, the remains of an old sofa, a lawn mower, blower and weed eater, fence posts and boards. .... Did I mention that that was since last Sunday?

* I did hear that if you've driven a RAM, there actually is a way back, .... being towed behind a wrecker!
I drive an Amazon Prime for all of my house / yard purchases now.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by markonline1
Thanks!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I drive an Amazon Prime for all of my house / yard purchases now.

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We just traded one of the cars in for a pickup. Got fed up of trying to borrow one every time we need one. Now we've got it surprising how useful it is. Comfortable to.

Now all I have to do is persuade Mrs L to let me trade my Grand Cherokee in for one of these. http://www.drivesrt.com/2014/grand-cherokee-srt/
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Ford used to own a piece of Mazda, and there was much sharing of parts and development. .....
Production too, with the MX6 and Probe coming off the same production line.

I remember reading, back in the 90's, that you could lift the motor out of an MX5, and drop a Ford small block V8 right in the same place.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:52 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

You may appreciate this:

(Appropriately, he spends some time driving it on the wrong side of the road.)
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure my hubster would like to trade in his Ford Fukus for what we were driving in the UK recently... The downside was that the handbrake sucked. But it was a diesel and got fabulous gas mileage.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-20120417_hyundai_i40_saloon_02.jpg  
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:59 am
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm sure my hubster would like to trade in his Ford Fukus for what we were driving in the UK recently... The downside was that the handbrake sucked. But it was a diesel and got fabulous gas mileage.
Hyundai i40 = Hyundai Sonata.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.