Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Jeep Introduces Seven Concepts at Moab Easter Jeep Safari | Digital Trends

7 Jeep concepts
Old Mar 24th 2015, 1:45 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The complexity of modern vehicles.

Sometime ago Jeep did a recall because of faulty software in the rear transfer module. After mine was flashed it developed the fault it was meant to cure. So they called Jeep and were told some didn't take the new software and to flash it again. It has been flashed another 3 times since then.

The indication of the fault is the 4 wheel drive service light comes on, the brake assist warning light comes on, the electronic stabilty control light comes on, the anti skid warning light comes and the crusie control stop working. This time it wasn't the software, it was the brake light switch. It had an intermittent fault and sometimes kept the brake lights on after the brake pedal was released. When it did that the computer control unit thought I was pressing the brake pedal and the gas pedal at the same time. In that situation it is programmed to turn off the ABS, anti skid, stabilty control, turn crusie control off, and disable the 4 wheel drive.

Things were so much easier before computers got into cars.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 1:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
The complexity of modern vehicles.

Sometime ago Jeep did a recall because of faulty software in the rear transfer module. After mine was flashed it developed the fault it was meant to cure. So they called Jeep and were told some didn't take the new software and to flash it again. It has been flashed another 3 times since then.

The indication of the fault is the 4 wheel drive service light comes on, the brake assist warning light comes on, the electronic stabilty control light comes on, the anti skid warning light comes and the crusie control stop working. This time it wasn't the software, it was the brake light switch. It had an intermittent fault and sometimes kept the brake lights on after the brake pedal was released. When it did that the computer control unit thought I was pressing the brake pedal and the gas pedal at the same time. In that situation it is programmed to turn off the ABS, anti skid, stabilty control, turn crusie control off, and disable the 4 wheel drive.

Things were so much easier before computers got into cars.
Apparently the solution in the not-too-distant future, is to get the drivers out of the cars.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 1:59 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Apparently the solution in the not-too-distant future, is to get the drivers out of the cars.
Meh. I hope I'm dead by then.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Meh. I hope I'm dead by then.
Me too. At the moment I am concerned about the dwindling supply of vehicles with manual transmissions.

That said, as IIRC Nutek pointed out, we are lucky enough that workable, reasonably priced, driverless cars will likely be available by the time we are too senile to drive, which isn't a bad thing to have in our future.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 24th 2015 at 2:13 am.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:22 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

That said, as IIRC Nutek pointed out, we are lucky enough that workable, reasonably priced, driverless cars will likely be available by the time we are too senile to drive, which isn't a bad thing to have in our future.
I hope they're quick cos I'm not far off that stage.....I just gave the kids a rollocking for losing the TV remotes. Again.
After they'd gone to bed I went to get my phone out of the truck, and found a TV remote sitting in the cupholder where my phone usually goes.....

Has anyone seen my cellphone....?
Old Mar 24th 2015, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I hope they're quick cos I'm not far off that stage.....I just gave the kids a rollocking for losing the TV remotes. Again.
After they'd gone to bed I went to get my phone out of the truck, and found a TV remote sitting in the cupholder where my phone usually goes.....

Has anyone seen my cellphone....?
Old Mar 24th 2015, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Let's talk about cars

Nutek,
so this is what you get up to when your not on BE

I like it
Old Mar 24th 2015, 4:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am interested in seeing how driver less cars will work in sub arctic conditions and in snow and ice, wonder how well a computer will deal with it?

How does the car know where to go? GPS? If GPS I hope they have better signals in mountain regions then the units we can buy now, there are sections I drive through mountains around home and my dash GPS loses it's signal, and then of course the thing gets confused all the time in Vancouver, did the same in Vegas but worked perfectly in Seattle...
Old Mar 24th 2015, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised to see parked outside Lowes a few days ago, a red TR7. It wasn't in the best shape, and the paint was badly oxidized.

It's not the first TR7 I've seen here, but I've never seen a TR8 in the US, although I had previously heard that the TR8 was developed for the US market, with the ;3.5 litre Rover V8, as opposed to the 2 litre 4 cylinder in the TR7.
I quoted the first post, sorry to go retro but I knew I liked you Pulaski I am currently restoring an MGB GT V8 and yes I'll be shipping it stateside with me

On the mordern note, I work for Ford and the modern technology while impressive, is not something I fancy fixing if it goes wrong!

Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:43 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
Nutek,
so this is what you get up to when your not on BE

Nutek Forged Wheels, It's Pride Behind the Name! - YouTube

I like it
Yeah... It's a hobby. I knock 'em out in my shed.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:47 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. At the moment I am concerned about the dwindling supply of vehicles with manual transmissions.

I just need them to come out before I get too old and cant see (my eyes suck).

Mind you... This hang-up on being able to see a long way... Doesn't really make sense anyhow. How many times have you crashed into something that is a long way away?

Also...

Old Mar 24th 2015, 1:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I just need them to come out before I get too old and cant see (my eyes suck).

Mind you... This hang-up on being able to see a long way... Doesn't really make sense anyhow. How many times have you crashed into something that is a long way away?

Also...

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-2Xn5FdH-M.jpg
Re. the picture - a million times yes.

I was catching up on the formerly new season of Top Gear last night on the DVR and Jeremy was talking about these driverless cars and the fact that they may be presented with a situation where their programming might be to kill you in favour of saving two or more pedestrians or other drivers in the event of an impending accident.

**** that shit. ****ing pedestrians and other drivers need to get out of the way, the twats.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 1:35 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
**** that shit. ****ing pedestrians and other drivers need to get out of the way, the twats.
I would love to be in charge of programming how they handle the 2 legged twunts in grocery store carparks......
Old Mar 24th 2015, 1:40 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I would love to be in charge of programming how they handle the 2 legged twunts in grocery store carparks......
A gentle nudge to move them out of the way. Maybe we can start fitting cars with those cow catchers they have on trains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.