Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:30 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

If I had his money (and, therefore, his lack of concern over employment) I suspect I would be JUST like him. Possibly worse.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
He's not god.

There's no need to prop up and keep supporting something like this and call it entertainment.

Anyone else would have been sacked long ago. There's no real excuse.
You don't like the guy. We get that. Many people disagree with you, myself included.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:31 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Work place bullying isn't supposed to be accepted any where else.

This isn't any different.

It's all besides the point. It's a sackable offence for anyone else. It's not his first warning to be on good behaviour.
This wasn't bullying, he was just running his mouth and pushing a bit. He didn't need to do it but it's not jumping on the outrage bus, it's not like he was kicking seven shades of shit out of him every day.

As I said, we've Premiership footballers who've done worse and still have jobs. You can't compare this with an office situation, it's not really the same thing.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
If I had his money (and, therefore, his lack of concern over employment) I suspect I would be JUST like him. Possibly worse.
Me too.

If I had the money Jeremy Clarkson does I would drive fast cars, and travel the world visiting exotic places and having fun. He has perfected a way to do that and get paid very handsomely for doing it. That was a stroke of pure genius!
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:42 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Me too.

If I had the money Jeremy Clarkson does I would drive fast cars, and travel the world visiting exotic places and having fun. He has perfected a way to do that and get paid very handsomely for doing it. That was a stroke of pure genius!
I just want to be a git.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:48 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to be a git.
I'm with you there.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a fan of Top Gear. Pre 1988, it was a run-of-the-mill (Pebble Mill) auto show. Clarkson brought the show alive by being critical of the products and not being polite. It made the auto industry take notice since there is no advertising on the BBC. Clarkson could say what he thought and no auto maker could threaten to pull advertising. Unfortunately, sometimes he was wrong and panned some cars that didn't deserve it.

I know this discussion has evolved to a discussion about Clarkson, but if Top Gear goes off the air there is another aspect of the programme which will be sorely missed. The cinematography on Top Gear is superb.

Any automotive designer will tell you of the difficulty of photographing or filming a vehicle resulting in the image conveying the true appearance and feeling of the car. It's hard to do without special studio tricks, and never captures the true look/feel of the design. In spite of all the doughnuts, wheel spinning, 4 wheel drifting, and smoke, the film crew on Top Gear understand how to make a car look good, and how to place it in a background that enhances the product. It's about as close as anyone has come to conveying the true "visual spirit" of a vehicle in a 2 dimensional format (that includes the TV screen). It would be greatly missed.

As for Clarkson, I can recall a conversation with a very well known automotive journalist from a best selling UK magazine, in 2002. I'll paraphrase:

"If Jeremy pans a car in his column, there's little we can do. We can say it's a good car, but everyone will only remember Jeremy's comments."

I've witnessed "conversations" between CEO's of some of the worlds largest automakers and Clarkson debating Clarkson's opinions or critiques of the products. Jolly bantering, but the CEO's knew the importance of changing Jeremy's opinions. And, at times, future products received more favourable critiques on the show. Of course, the automakers always claimed it didn't matter, but they knew in reality it did.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:03 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by theOAP
The cinematography on Top Gear is superb.
Yes, it is. I've always thought that. Just a well put together show all round, IMO, which is why I thought that apart from QI, it was basically the only thing on TV worth watching that wasn't a repeat just before I left the UK.

As far as Clarkson goes, whataver he says or does, I still say WGAF. I know he's exaggerating certain traits to fit a persona but even then, I certainly won't watch him on TV and then go emulate that persona elsewhere. It's an hour or so of mindless escapism, which is a good thing.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I love this pic! Very very cool

Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by markonline1
88mph
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

88mph
Back to 1985 Marty!!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:39 am

I love this pic! Very very cool. ....
In deed it is, and it could only be of one car.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:45 am
I have a comma problem

Back to 1985 Marty!!!!!
I wish someone could do that with F1 ...
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I wish someone could do that with F1 ...
When we are in charge....

Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:51 am
I have a comma problem

When we are in charge....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.