Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
I'm a big supporter of small engine turbo powered cars (I drive one). I question whether it fits with the Mustang "image" though.
What do you drive?
Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:43 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a big supporter of small engine turbo powered cars (I drive one). I question whether it fits with the Mustang "image" though.
Me too. I've been thoroughly enjoying the 1.4L turbo that my new car has. It shits all over the 2.0L NA engine I had in the Suzuki, though I suppose that kind of goes without saying.

Great wee engine though, it goes like stink and it makes a nice noise while it does it.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Me too. I've been thoroughly enjoying the 1.4L turbo that my new car has. It shits all over the 2.0L NA engine I had in the Suzuki, though I suppose that kind of goes without saying.

Great wee engine though, it goes like stink and it makes a nice noise while it does it.
And that's why I love small, 4 cylinder hatchbacks , in manual of course.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:12 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
And that's why I love small, 4 cylinder hatchbacks , in manual of course.
This one is neither hatchback or manual but in general I agree, I'm a big hot hatch fan, too.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree, the six cylinder is doomed in that line up
American car manufacturers have tended to stay away from small displacement engines in the past to get the HP due to cost and/or reliability issues. With the 4 cylinder engine having more HP and only being about $1,500 more then the lower HP 6 cylinder engine, I wonder if reliability issues will crop up.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 7th 2014 at 7:26 am.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:19 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
What do you drive?
John Cooper Works edition.

Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:20 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. I've been thoroughly enjoying the 1.4L turbo that my new car has.
I had been meaning to ask you how it was going now that you had a chance to throw a few miles onto it.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:29 am
I have a comma problem

Does that go as fast as it looks like it goes?

I had been meaning to ask you how it was going now that you had a chance to throw a few miles onto it.
It's going great. Performance wise, the turbo packs a nice punch and the efficiency seems to be greatly improved now I have a few thousand miles on it. I am now averaging over 34 mpg between fill ups and I have the 'life of the car' average up to 30.3, which is pretty good considering the only highway driving I do is once or twice a month.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:35 am

Does that go as fast as it looks like it goes?
Limiter starts kicking in at 165mph. Apparently.

It's going great. Performance wise, the turbo packs a nice punch and the efficiency seems to be greatly improved now I have a few thousand miles on it. I am now averaging over 34 mpg between fill ups and I have the 'life of the car' average up to 30.3, which is pretty good considering the only highway driving I do is once or twice a month.
That's great mileage. I see 30 - 31 average from mine, but that's 80% highway.

Mrs. N. sees high 30s - 40 in her Cooper, again mostly highway though.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nice car
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of. I saw one yesterday.

It was missing the roof....when it shouldn't have been.

Would explain it being on the back of the truck...but it's not that high of a motor, which begs the question

The truck did have a couple of classic cars too that looked like needing a little TLC, a Triumph, a couple MG's and a Alfa...so it was weird seeing a new car in the middle.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:49 am
I have a comma problem

Limiter starts kicking in at 165mph. Apparently.
Not half bad for a Mini, though

That's great mileage. I see 30 - 31 average from mine, but that's 80% highway.

Mrs. N. sees high 30s - 40 in her Cooper, again mostly highway though.
It is. It gets knocked down when I use the AC but since it's been cooler this summer, I've been able to get away with the breeze from opening the windows. I do some semi-highway driving but the only times I drive more than 7 miles each way is at weekends. The upshot is I'm getting at least 7 days and 350+ miles each fill-up, as opposed to 5 if I'm lucky and >260 miles with the old one.

I'm happy as a dog with two dicks, me
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

John Cooper Works edition. ......
Have you ever seen a picture of John Cooper's "works"? ... I used to live just a couple of miles from it and most non-franchise mechanics wouldn't accept it these days as a repair shop!
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Have you ever seen a picture of John Cooper's "works"? ... I used to live just a couple of miles from it and most non-franchise mechanics wouldn't accept it these days as a repair shop!
Sad. It's ok though. I prefer to live in the past. You know... when things were better.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Speaking of. I saw one yesterday.

It was missing the roof....when it shouldn't have been.

and a Alfa...
It was probably fine until they parked it next to the Alfa, then the bodywork started falling off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.