Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, someone's going to be a bit pissed when they find someone's double parked them in...
and what looks like the front of an auto repair shop.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a 'Stang for sale across town, sticker said low mileage, $13K....it had 137K on the clock...that's some low mileage soft top right there :/
Old Aug 5th 2014, 2:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Saw a 'Stang for sale across town, sticker said low mileage, $13K....it had 137K on the clock...that's some low mileage soft top right there :/
If it's low mileage it must be 12+ years old, and a 12+ year old Mustang must be pretty special to fetch $13k. Even for an SVT Cobra that would be a stretch, surely. I wonder what a Roush or Saleen of that age might fetch?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 2:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If it's low mileage it must be 12+ years old, and a 12+ year old Mustang must be pretty special to fetch $13k. Even for an SVT Cobra that would be a stretch, surely. I wonder what a Roush or Saleen of that age might fetch?

ETA A quick check on mustangclassifieds.com suggests that is pretty cheap for a 2000-2002 Saleen Mustang; about $20k is the going rate.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Car buyers are most loyal to these brands

I think the most surprising is that Ford is number 1 and Nissan, Chevy, and Subaru are ahead of Honda and BMW.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:19 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Car buyers are most loyal to these brands

I think the most surprising is that Ford is number 1 and Nissan, Chevy, and Subaru are ahead of Honda and BMW.
I have read that BMW, Mercedes owners are very hard to please and will complain if the rear window defogger isn't quick enough.

Of course that couldn't be self serving...
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I have read that BMW, Mercedes owners are very hard to please and will complain if the rear window defogger isn't quick enough.

Of course that couldn't be self serving...
Honda surprises me more than BMW since every Honda owner I know likes their car.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:42 pm

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Honda surprises me more than BMW since every Honda owner I know likes their car.
True I have never heard a complaint from a Honda owner.

What I was trying to say before was that Mercedes and BMW didn't score as high (Powers) as some competitors because those owners had perhaps unrealistic expectations. A handy excuse.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

True I have never heard a complaint from a Honda owner.

What I was trying to say before was that Mercedes and BMW didn't score as high (Powers) as some competitors because those owners had perhaps unrealistic expectations. A handy excuse.
Mercedes scores high as I expected and BMW lower as I expected since Mercedes advertises it's cars as luxury but BMW advertises it's cars as hip, sporty, and fast. Unless someone owns a M series, the fast part isn't really much different than the Mercedes. I own a BMW and bought the 330 instead of the 5 series (same body, different engine) since I didn't consider a 165 HP engine fast and even with the 220 HP engine in the 330, that's not anything unusual.

So if someone is thinking fast, they may possibly be disappointed with the BMW.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 5th 2014 at 9:07 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 9:12 pm

Mercedes scores high as I expected and BMW lower as I expected since Mercedes advertises it's cars as luxury but BMW advertises it's cars as hip, sporty, and fast. Unless someone owns a M series, the fast part isn't really much different than the Mercedes. I own a BMW and bought the 330 instead of the 5 series (same body, different engine) since I didn't consider a 165 HP engine fast and even with the 220 HP engine in the 330, that's not anything unusual.

So if someone is thinking fast, they may possibly be disappointed with the BMW.
Well I bought a Hyundai, and it goes from 0 to 70 which takes care of my needs.

A whole 110 HP with 38 to 40 MPG on my primarily freeway commute.

Thanks to the cash for clunkers program my cost was $6,000 for a new car.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well I bought a Hyundai, and it goes from 0 to 70 which takes care of my needs.

A whole 110 HP with 38 to 40 MPG on my primarily freeway commute.

Thanks to the cash for clunkers program my cost was $6,000 for a new car.
People are more likely to be happier with a car when it is perceived as inexpensive and economical and that's what they get or reliable and that's what they get than if it is perceived as something more than what it may be.

As an example, Toyota for a long time has been perceived as a very reliable car but when they had that public relations issue with the accelerator, the perception changed some and sales dropped significantly for over a year and Lexus as the luxury brand with the same problem was hurt even more.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 5th 2014 at 9:38 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 11:13 pm

.... I think the most surprising is that Ford is number 1 .....
Not to me. .... Remember that buying a Mustang is virtually an induction to a cult, (owning a Corvette is similar, but Ford sells vastly more Mustang than Chevy does Corvettes) and Ford trucks have a similar appeal too.

My FIL had a Mustang as a young man, one of the very early ones, a 65½ IIRC. He then owner numerous other vehicles, but not Fords, until he experienced our F250 and Mustang, and now both the in-law's vehicles are Fords, and they traded one Ford for another last year.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 5th 2014 at 11:18 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 11:33 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not to me. .... Remember that buying a Mustang is virtually an induction to a cult, (owning a Corvette is similar, but Ford sells vastly more Mustang than Chevy does Corvettes) and Ford trucks have a similar appeal too.

My FIL had a Mustang as a young man, one of the very early ones, a 65½ IIRC. He then owner numerous other vehicles, but not Fords, until he experienced our F250 and Mustang, and now both the in-law's vehicles are Fords, and they traded one Ford for another last year.
Thoughts on the 4 Banger? Does the perception of it weaken the brand? As a fan (heh) of small Turbo engines, I should like the idea, yet I find that I don't.

I can see it being the death of the V6, certainly.

The figures look good... but something feels wrong.

2015 Mustang:

The GT is rated at 435 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque.

The 2.3-liter turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder makes 310 hp and 320 lb-ft.

The 3.7-liter V6, rated at 300 hp and 280 lb-ft.

Weights changed very little from 2014 to 2015.

The base curb weight of the 2015 V6 fastback with a six-speed manual transmission is 3,526 pounds with an automatic is 3,530 pounds.
EcoBoost with a manual is 3,532 pounds.
The GT with a stick weighs 3,705, and the GT with an automatic is 3,729 pounds.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Nutek
Thoughts on the 4 Banger? Does the perception of it weaken the brand? As a fan (heh) of small Turbo engines, I should like the idea, yet I find that I don't.

I can see it being the death of the V6, certainly.

The figures look good... but something feels wrong.

2015 Mustang:

The GT is rated at 435 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque.

The 2.3-liter turbocharged EcoBoost four-cylinder makes 310 hp and 320 lb-ft.

The 3.7-liter V6, rated at 300 hp and 280 lb-ft.

Weights changed very little from 2014 to 2015.

The base curb weight of the 2015 V6 fastback with a six-speed manual transmission is 3,526 pounds with an automatic is 3,530 pounds.
EcoBoost with a manual is 3,532 pounds.
The GT with a stick weighs 3,705, and the GT with an automatic is 3,729 pounds.
I agree, the six cylinder is doomed in that line up, but personally, if I were to recommend any of the alternatives to be eliminated, it would be the GT automatic. That's just not right!
Old Aug 6th 2014, 12:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just swung by this morning to see the chap was rubbing off a zero off the mileage and had put a comma in, only 13,700 miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.