Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Chapmandan
Bob - hopefully it's just the battery and not the alternator
Definitely!

Had another duff start this morning...seems the battery isn't holding a charge, will need to go get it tested when I get the chance and hope it's that rather than it being fine and the alternator not doing its business, that would suck a bit more.

Still, saw a old Alfa Romeo for sale...looked pretty decent except the baby powder blue colour.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:11 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
saw a old Alfa Romeo
Maybe some of it rubbed off onto your battery.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Chapmandan is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha! Love my Alfa and the one before it.
Was it this blue colour? Never my favourite... Alfa Red, White or Black beyond that it can be touch and go.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-alfa-romeo-147-16-tspark-1.jpg  
Old Aug 1st 2014, 3:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! Love my Alfa and the one before it. .....
I had a 164 3.0 right up until I left the UK, it was a metallic dark slate blue. That was a nice car and I was very sad to let it go.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Chapmandan is an unknown quantity at this point

They were lovely

The slate grey was one of the good colours - I nearly bought a 147 in that colour but ended up with a red one instead with the 2.0L engine in it. Currently got a white Giulietta with the 2.0L Diesel lump in it - lovely car and well screwed together although it has lost a bit of it's Alfa personality as a result. Sometimes the gremlins were friendly
Old Aug 1st 2014, 4:22 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

They were lovely

The slate grey was one of the good colours - I nearly bought a 147 in that colour but ended up with a red one instead with the 2.0L engine in it. Currently got a white Giulietta with the 2.0L Diesel lump in it - lovely car and well screwed together although it has lost a bit of it's Alfa personality as a result. Sometimes the gremlins were friendly
Alfa have made some good looking cars, without doubt.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 5:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! Love my Alfa and the one before it.
Was it this blue colour? Never my favourite... Alfa Red, White or Black beyond that it can be touch and go.
No, it really was baby, nursery type blue...not the best colour.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Alfa have made some good looking cars, without doubt.
Emphasis on the 'Looking' part!
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Emphasis on the 'Looking' part!
It was carefully worded.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 4:17 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a RHD Landie defender in a car park this evening - very odd spot!
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 8:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bob

Had another duff start this morning...seems the battery isn't holding a charge, will need to go get it tested when I get the chance and hope it's that rather than it being fine and the alternator not doing its business, that would suck a bit more.
Swung by Autozone to get the battery checked and it's holding 94% charge but it's the output is about 4v shy of the mark. Tester said the battery is bad and needs to be replaced.

Our local Walmart doesn't have a car shop and the one that does is a bit of a hike...and don't even know how we'd do a warranty swap as don't have a receipt and it being bought up in Maine might not help, more expensive core deposit up there, $15 v $9.

Still, we're heading up there in a couple weeks so we'll see if I can be bothered to hold out with the jump starts and go old school with the crank start each time
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Swung by Autozone to get the battery checked and it's holding 94% charge but it's the output is about 4v shy of the mark. Tester said the battery is bad and needs to be replaced.

Our local Walmart doesn't have a car shop and the one that does is a bit of a hike...and don't even know how we'd do a warranty swap as don't have a receipt and it being bought up in Maine might not help, more expensive core deposit up there, $15 v $9.

Still, we're heading up there in a couple weeks so we'll see if I can be bothered to hold out with the jump starts and go old school with the crank start each time
How are you going to jump start if you have to turn off the engine during the trip. Also with the output 4v low, that probably means that the cells are shorting and the whole battery could die completely at anytime or possibly blow up. If the battery gives out completely, you'll be running 100% on the alternator and it was never designed for that purpose.

I think you are taking a major risk by not replacing the battery as soon as possible.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 11:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Using a booster box to jump the car. It seemed to run fine when engine was running just dead on starting it.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Using a booster box to jump the car. It seemed to run fine when engine was running just dead on starting it.
But if the battery dies, the engine is going to try to run 100% off of the alternator even when idle and the alternator likely can't provide enough current to keep the engine running when idle.

If your battery wasn't charging very well instead of being 4v low, then I wouldn't be too concerned but something happened to the battery recently that caused it to lose 4v instead of just an aging battery.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 2:00 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I dropped into a Walmart where they had the battery/auto center and asked the guy if they sold any distilled/deionized water to top up my battery - the guy who managed the battery area told me they just use tap water on the ones they sell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.