Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jul 9th 2014, 5:21 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Bob

Plus I don't think the Nissan is that great and certainly around where I am and the in-laws, not a cheap one to maintain for a pick up.
I am on my second Frontier and have loved both of them. The first was a four door, this one is the two door with the alleged second row of seats (a joke, but with them folded up, I can get one of my big dogs in there) and a bigger engine. I got a great deal on it, used, as it is stick shift and apparently absolutely no-one was interested until I showed up. However, I would say the truck bed is far too high for getting a bike in there -- you need a crane to get a lawn mower or tiller in to go for repairs!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
There are a couple of people here at work with them. They seem pretty happy with them. I'm a bit of a Hatchback fan (Mazda Speed 3 / GTI etc), but if I was going larger I think I would take a long hard look at the Edge.
Mine came with the tech package (Nav, HiD headlights, remote start, keyless start, panoramic sunroof and, of course, power liftgate). It was also fitted with the optional 20" chrome rims, so it looks good, too. About the only things I could have got were the blind spot warning and lane departure detection, which I can live without.

I love the fact that, even without the Ecoboost engine (it's a 3.5l V6), I can still get close to 22.5 MPG on my commute. An Explorer or similar would probably return about 16-18!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

If I was forced to have to drive an SUV type thing, it would definitely be the Edge!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I am on my second Frontier and have loved both of them. The first was a four door, this one is the two door with the alleged second row of seats (a joke, but with them folded up, I can get one of my big dogs in there) and a bigger engine. I got a great deal on it, used, as it is stick shift and apparently absolutely no-one was interested until I showed up. However, I would say the truck bed is far too high for getting a bike in there -- you need a crane to get a lawn mower or tiller in to go for repairs!
Thats good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience, i have had two other Nissan's on lease deals over here and enjoyed them but never had a pick-up before. I take your point about the hight, I either get one of those trial bikes or stick to a trailer!

What accessories did you go for and how did you rate them?
I like the look of the tent that fixes into the back.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:03 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt
Thats good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience, i have had two other Nissan's on lease deals over here and enjoyed them but never had a pick-up before. I take your point about the hight, I either get one of those trial bikes or stick to a trailer!

What accessories did you go for and how did you rate them?
I like the look of the tent that fixes into the back.
No accessories -- though my current one did come with a massive black deer-catcher on the front, which makes it look rather badass (especially as the windows are tinted within an iota of legality)!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:06 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

massive black deer
That seems very specific.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:14 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Nutek
That seems very specific.
You're right -- small ones would just slip between the bars and depart unscathed!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:21 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

You're right -- small ones would just slip between the bars and depart unscathed!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute

No accessories -- though my current one did come with a massive black deer-catcher on the front, which makes it look rather badass (especially as the windows are tinted within an iota of legality)!
Nice! I like that idea.

I do enjoy car shopping, even when i have to scale it back.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I am on my second Frontier and have loved both of them.
Cousin had one...I thought it was great....but it rusted to shit and like I said, where we and family are, weren't cheap to maintain...plus he got mocked by his friends and family for having a girly truck compared to all the F-150's and bigger
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Cousin had one...I thought it was great....but it rusted to shit and like I said, where we and family are, weren't cheap to maintain...plus he got mocked by his friends and family for having a girly truck compared to all the F-150's and bigger
lol. I am edging more towards the F-150 at the moment although not having much luck with getting pricing from International Autosource so looking into alternatives.

Any experiences of ExpatRide.

And they do not appear to be able to say Nissan correctly
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:36 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Bob
The bottom of my 2000 rusted out, though up top it looked like new. However, it did stand outside on dirt in all weathers for a decade. My "new" one lives indoors and is impeccable both sides up (or down). I have seen other posters call it "girly -- which obviously doesn't matter to me! -- but it surprises me. Lots of guys with muscles on muscles driving them for work purposes around here.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 1:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So there is was, driving down the interstate last night it was Sunday evening and pretty quite, traffic was what I would describe as very light. I was cruising at about 75 65 (I never exceed the speed limit, me, no never! )

So I was cruising along and when I rounded a curve and saw a cop ahead, on the right shoulder with his lights on. I get closer and see that he is stopped on the shoulder. Ahead of him are four vehicles obviously all stopped on the shoulder for the same incident, none of them suffering from any obvious or substantial collision damage.

In front of the state trooper is a Porsche Panamera, in front of that is a red SUV, a Mitsubishi Endeavor, I think, then there is a Toyota Camry or something similar, possibly a Hyundai or Kia, then the last vehicle, about fifty feet further along is a Toyota pickup, a Tundra, I think. They were all lined up on the shoulder.

The cop was just getting out of his car, and the Toyota Tundra driver was just walking back towards the other cars, so they hadn't been there long. They were all lined up on the shoulder. OK. ...... Did I mention that the Mitsubishi SUV was on it's side? WTF?
Old Jul 14th 2014, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
. OK. ...... Did I mention that the Mitsubishi SUV was on it's side? WTF?
Reminds me of the simpsons episode where they get stuck behind a line of SUV's and Homer says 'Dont worry there is a gentle curve in the road ahead' and they all crash and roll off the road.

Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Chapmandan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt
I do enjoy car shopping, even when i have to scale it back.
Me too, been a while since i had to spend my own money though thanks to a company car in the UK.

This SUV thing confuses me as i've had a few as rental cars and they're like a chuffing water bed to drive but if you want to haul bikes, snowboards, gear and (eventually) kids what option do you have? The estate car/Station Wagon I guess :S

It doesn't help that as a driver i'm a little 'enthusiastic' Currently on my 2nd Alfa in a row and before that was a Lotus Elise...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.