Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jun 18th 2014, 11:05 pm
  #2326  
Thread Starter
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,662
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
It channels the air around the mirrors. I remember Ferrari do something similar, probably borrowed from this very car.
So should we buy it and post it on eBay as a "genuine Ferrari mule"?
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:15 am
  #2327  
 
Nutek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 33,727
Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

The new Ford Edge looks pretty good I think. In appearance and spec.

2015 Ford Edge debuts with fresh tech inside and out - Autoblog

The 3.5L V6 will still be offered, although the 2.0L is standard.

2nd generation 2.0L Ecoboost with a twin-scroll turbo putting out 245hp, 270lb-ft.
The Sport model with the all-new 2.7L twin-turbo Ecoboost V6, rated at 320hp
Nutek is online now  
Old Jul 7th 2014, 4:02 am
  #2328  
Thread Starter
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,662
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
The new Ford Edge looks pretty good I think. In appearance and spec.

2015 Ford Edge debuts with fresh tech inside and out - Autoblog

The 3.5L V6 will still be offered, although the 2.0L is standard.

2nd generation 2.0L Ecoboost with a twin-scroll turbo putting out 245hp, 270lb-ft.
The Sport model with the all-new 2.7L twin-turbo Ecoboost V6, rated at 320hp
Looks sleeker than the old one, which looks bloated IMO. From the pictures in that link, it looks Lexus-like.

The sport version sounds interesting, but overall I don't like the styling much, the Explorer looks much better. If I were buying today I would likely go with the Explorer even though from a size perspective the Edge would meet our needs better.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2014, 4:22 am
  #2329  
 
Nutek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 33,727
Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Looks sleeker than the old one, which looks bloated IMO. From the pictures in that link, it looks Lexus-like.

The sport version sounds interesting, but overall I don't like the styling much, the Explorer looks much better. If I were buying today I would likely go with the Explorer even though from a size perspective the Edge would meet our needs better.
I quite like the looks. Sharper than the old one for sure.
Nutek is online now  
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:52 am
  #2330  
BE Forum Addict
 
Guindalf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,903
Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Nice. Not sure if it's enough of a difference to make me want to trade in my 2011 Edge Limited, though.
Guindalf is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:02 am
  #2331  
Thread Starter
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,662
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
I quite like the looks. Sharper than the old one for sure.
I've started eyeing up another nippy little CUV with a Ford 2 liter turbo engine, which price wise overlaps with the upper half of the Explorer price range*. Mrs P still needs some persuading, and it will probably be 2015 before we start think more seriously about what to buy to take some of the load off the Accord, and lighten the gas bill being run up by using the F250 for my commute.

Here lies your clue.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:09 am
  #2332  
 
Nutek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 33,727
Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Nice. Not sure if it's enough of a difference to make me want to trade in my 2011 Edge Limited, though.


That would be a tough call. How have you found the 2011? People seem to like them.
Nutek is online now  
Old Jul 8th 2014, 1:49 am
  #2333  
BE Forum Addict
 
Guindalf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,903
Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek


That would be a tough call. How have you found the 2011? People seem to like them.
Very pleased with it. Nice and comfortable and quiet and plenty of toys and tshotshkes to play with.

It's not perfect, but then again, what car is?
Guindalf is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:38 pm
  #2334  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 87
SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

So I have been looking around prior to my move(fingers crossed) and I have started talking with International Autosource.

I wanted something like the Ford F-150 but i think it is a bit out of my price range so my next option is a Nissan Frontier V6, 4x4 with a CrewCab. Its not exactly my American dream but it is a move in the right direction. Any thoughts on these as a Lease option and do you think it could fit a motorbikeS(Track bike rather than cruiser) on the back?
SmallShinyAnt is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:49 pm
  #2335  
Thread Starter
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,662
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt
..... and do you think it could fit a motorbikeS(Track bike rather than cruiser) on the back?
In the bed or on a trailer? .... no, .... yes.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:53 pm
  #2336  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 87
SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In the bed or on a trailer? .... no, .... yes.
Thanks. Would you say a trailer is cheaper than the price difference to the right size pick-up? Sorry although i'm looking online it appears the difference between listed price and sale prices can vary by as much as 10k even in this price range.
SmallShinyAnt is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:11 pm
  #2337  
Thread Starter
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,662
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt
Thanks. Would you say a trailer is cheaper than the price difference to the right size pick-up? Sorry although i'm looking online it appears the difference between listed price and sale prices can vary by as much as 10k even in this price range.
I drive an F250 and I don't think you could fit a bike in the 6¾ft bed, at least not without leaving the tailgate down. Maybe if it had a long bed (8ft) it might?

I have seen bikes in truck beds (often with the tailgate down), but I don't know how easy getting the bike in would be? In short, IMO a trailer is the way to go..... I doubt you'd pay more than about $2k tops for a decent trailer. I was looking at one last weekend that had a robust wooden deck that was only about $1,200.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 8th 2014 at 11:14 pm.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:15 pm
  #2338  
 
Nutek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 33,727
Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Very pleased with it. Nice and comfortable and quiet and plenty of toys and tshotshkes to play with.

It's not perfect, but then again, what car is?
There are a couple of people here at work with them. They seem pretty happy with them. I'm a bit of a Hatchback fan (Mazda Speed 3 / GTI etc), but if I was going larger I think I would take a long hard look at the Edge.
Nutek is online now  
Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:24 pm
  #2339  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 87
SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I drive an F250 and I don't think you could fit a bike in the 6¾ft bed, at least not without leaving the tailgate down. Maybe if it had a long bed (8ft) it might?

I have seen bikes in truck beds (often with the tailgate down), but I don't know how easy getting the bike in would be? In short, IMO a trailer is the way to go..... I doubt you'd pay more than about $2k tops for a decent trailer. I was looking at one last weekend that had a robust wooden deck that was only about $1,200.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah i guess the on/off could be entertaining depending on the bike type. Trailer makes sense long run.
SmallShinyAnt is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2014, 2:41 am
  #2340  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,177
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt
So I have been looking around prior to my move(fingers crossed) and I have started talking with International Autosource.

I wanted something like the Ford F-150 but i think it is a bit out of my price range so my next option is a Nissan Frontier V6, 4x4 with a CrewCab. Its not exactly my American dream but it is a move in the right direction. Any thoughts on these as a Lease option and do you think it could fit a motorbikeS(Track bike rather than cruiser) on the back?
I wouldn't want a pick up as a lease....all those dings and scuffs could make for a heck of a penalty pay out.

Plus I don't think the Nissan is that great and certainly around where I am and the in-laws, not a cheap one to maintain for a pick up.

Just avoid the Dodge Ram. Toyota and Chevy are both worth a look too and the GMC Sierra is a rebadged Chevy Silverado, with just a different front light arrangement and also pretty nice though the stock base models are a bit more firm to drive off road.
Bob is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.