Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Nutek
Not so much the drivers as the roads. The roads here (CT) are utter shit. Snow in the winter... loose sand all over the roads in the spring. Potholes all year round. Ugh.

What do you ride?
And that's just the unused car pool lane

Someone in town was killed on his bike....turned out he just clipped the curb and got thrown into a rock wall.

I thought it was against a car, because there was loads of debris at the lights and the bike was half way down the hill
Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And that's just the unused car pool lane

Someone in town was killed on his bike....turned out he just clipped the curb and got thrown into a rock wall.

I thought it was against a car, because there was loads of debris at the lights and the bike was half way down the hill
We were out on the bike for just over an hour today and twice we almost wrecked because of inconsiderate drivers.

First was someone drifting into us as she was texting, she dropped her window and apologized and got a mouthful of obscenities back from M....which was nice

The second driver braked in front of us, indicated left , but actually turned right. I am glad M reacted quickly. This one warranted another round of obscenities
Old Jun 13th 2014, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Saw one of these in London, a BMW 2002 hatchback. The owner told me that it's one of only six still on the road in the UK. The one I saw was orange.

Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Saw one of these in London, a BMW 2002 hatchback. The owner told me that it's one of only six still on the road in the UK. The one I saw was orange.

http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/...ack_Rear_1.jpg
There's one up the road from me. It's not road worthy though and slightly knackered.

Weirdly enough, it's next to a clapped out Lada.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 3:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
..... a clapped out Lada.
So "as new" condition then, because unless I'm much mistaken they were made that way.

..... Are you sure it's a Lada, not a Fiat from a decade earlier before Fiat flogged the tooling to the Russians?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2014 at 3:59 am.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 6:31 am
NM, not new, not Mexico!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Any opinions on the Mitsubishi Mirage?
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Mitsubishi is not doing well (declining market share) in the US, and many are expecting Mitsubishi to withdraw from the US market in the near future, like SAAB and Suzuki. No matter how good the Mirage is it will take a extra hit to its value if Mitsubishi withdraws, so unless you plan to own it long-term you risk taking that hit to its value.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:33 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I don't think I've ever seen one on the road. I had to go look one up on Google so that I knew what it looked like.

Some of the owner reviews seem ok.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:04 am

So the rental car I was given in the UK was a Vauxhall Insignia, aka a Buick Regal, except that I don't believe that the Regal is available with a turbo diesel engine.

It was very driveable, a six speed manual, though the top two gears were cruising gears, and the sixth especially had little "pull". Round town the third gear was very useful and not unduly noisey, though changing into fourth gear wasn't a problem as it worked over a wide range of revs.

The view out of the back was very poor IMO, with a small rear window and large C pillars, and quite frankly the forward view wasn't great either, with the A pillars being both bulky and a long way forwards. So combined with my need to have the seat a long way back, and the driver's seat does go a looonng way back, I found myself leaning forwards frequently to get a better view, especially to the right.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:26 am

I took the Mustang out to stretch it's legs, and check out the new Pirellis it is shod with, for a long weekend at the family wedding in TN. Traffic was quite light, and we made good time in both directions, but coming back we kept catching up with large saloon cars, most commonly large Chevrolets, dawdling (aka "doing the speed limit" ) in the left lane, so from here on I'm going to refer to "being obstructed in the left lane by grandpa or grandma in a big ol' sedan", as "being Impaled".

The Pirellis appear more grippy and quieter than the old Goodyears, so definitely a step up in performance.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 16th 2014 at 12:59 am.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

No its not a car but its big enough to be one. After shopping around for a cruiser we (OK hubby) ended up with a BMW LT 1200. Cruise control, adjustable windsheild, 6 cd changer, heated seats, intercom and loads of room to pack stuff for a weekend away.
Sturgis here we come !!
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-10448705_10154271878410183_7644180446302604673_o.jpg  
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Not very clear but this was our first car when we arrived in Texas 25 yrs ago. It is a 1978 Chevvy Caprice

Let's talk about cars-img_20140605_071528%7E2.jpg
Old Jun 18th 2014, 10:45 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a bargain...

Old Jun 18th 2014, 11:00 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
That, er, increases fuel economy - streamlines the air, dontchaknow?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
That, er, increases fuel economy - streamlines the air, dontchaknow?
It channels the air around the mirrors. I remember Ferrari do something similar, probably borrowed from this very car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.