Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:50 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Good plan! Agreed on soft, I've had snows 'turn under' on freeway offramps.

Pulaski it was 3 hours, felt like 8 I was limited to 65 mph as I found out when the back end started to fishtail badly at 68 - I almost lost it. Iirc the total load limit, passengers and baggage, was 688 lbs.

And my dog, a Shar Pei, rode the with his front legs on the pass front floor and his back legs on the seat between my buds' legs, the whole trip my friend had an imax view of his anus

Pete
Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Switching tyres this time around, to get summer tyres onto my JCW rims, then next winter will have the Snows dropped onto a cheap(er) set of rims for winter use.
Have you actually found any steel rims that are actually cheap though?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:14 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Have you actually found any steel rims that are actually cheap though?
Steels? I didn't know they even still made them.

It will be alloys of some sort... and really, they may as well be nice(ish) looking ones, being that they are on the car for 5 months of the year. Just need to find some that are not too expensive and not going to look TOO awful after being sprayed with salt for weeks on end.

Tire Rack to the rescue! Again.

<3 Tire Rack.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:21 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Steels? I didn't know they even still made them.

It will be alloys of some sort... and really, they may as well be nice(ish) looking ones, being that they are on the car for 5 months of the year. Just need to find some that are not too expensive and not going to look TOO awful after being sprayed with salt for weeks on end.

Tire Rack to the rescue! Again.

<3 Tire Rack.
Usually they put the steels on the base models. Alloys come as standard on the higher trims. Thankfully

The steel ones on my old car were shite, a strong gust of wind could dent them. Ever popped a bead at 50mph? Not fun. Steel rims and Illinois' fabled potholes do not mix.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:27 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Usually they put the steels on the base models. Alloys come as standard on the higher trims. Thankfully

The steel ones on my old car were shite, a strong gust of wind could dent them. Ever popped a bead at 50mph? Not fun. Steel rims and Illinois' fabled potholes do not mix.
The car ships with run-flats fitted (no spare), but I'm not buying new ones. Can't stand them... Awful, loud, ride-ruining things that they are.

The guy at the Mini Center was funny... "We have to tell you to fit run-flats, but no-one here will recommend you buy them".
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:27 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The car ships with run-flats fitted (no spare), but I'm not buying new ones. Can't stand them... Awful, loud, ride-ruining things that they are.

The guy at the Mini Center was funny... "We have to tell you to fit run-flats, but no-one here will recommend you buy them".
No doubt they're also more expensive than standard tires as well, thus compounding their shitness ...
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:32 am

No doubt they're also more expensive than standard tires as well, thus compounding their shitness ...
There is a bit of a premium, though not as much as you might think. They are also more expensive to have fitted.

They make the car unbearable to drive on any but the smoothest roads though, and we don't really have any of those.

I'll take my chances with regular tyres and my AAA card. Which, actually, is exactly what I was doing with the MX-5, so no real change.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:36 am
I have a comma problem

There is a bit of a premium, though not as much as you might think. They are also more expensive to have fitted.

They make the car unbearable to drive on any but the smoothest roads though, and we don't really have any of those.

I'll take my chances with regular tyres and my AAA card. Which, actually, is exactly what I was doing with the MX-5, so no real change.
Smooth roads. That's what they have in 'other states', right?

Too many bumps and potholes around here to mess with any kind of ride-ruining stuff for me. Usually I am careful and I can see them/avoid them but the odd one or two come up hidden from view and they'll dent the shit out of a steel rim.

The one that popped my tire was hit at night, I didn't see it at all until it was almost under my wheel. Now I have the alloys, I should fare better. Everything just feels less likely to fall apart on this car
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:39 am

Everything just feels less likely to fall apart on this car
Quite encouraging really isn't it?

Got myself a set of W rated Hankooks. Should do the job and I quite like the brand (had a set of their summer tyres on the Miata).
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:44 am
I have a comma problem

Quite encouraging really isn't it?

Got myself a set of W rated Hankooks. Should do the job and I quite like the brand (had a set of their summer tyres on the Miata).
I used Hankooks on the old car, the tyres themselves were never a problem, just the rims were so prone to denting which made the seating unstable, so they'd either pop a bead or lose air more quickly than they should.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:48 am

I used Hankooks on the old car, the tyres themselves were never a problem, just the rims were so prone to denting which made the seating unstable, so they'd either pop a bead or lose air more quickly than they should.
Can't afford to hit a pothole... I have 70mm ground clearance at the front, suspension made out of granite, tyres with a 40mm side wall and my OEM rims are 500 bucks each to replace.

Perfect car really.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:50 am
I have a comma problem

Can't afford to hit a pothole... I have 70mm ground clearance at the front, suspension made out of granite, tyres with a 40mm side wall and my OEM rims are 500 bucks each to replace.

Perfect car really.
Top tip - don't drive in Illinois, then. Our roads don't have potholes; our potholes have roads ...
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:51 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Precious few smooth roads around here, and in Cleveland city limits they often look and feel like a war zone. It's almost beyond belief. How 'normal' cars stand up to that beating I don't know.

Good Michelins on the front of the big Mercury and aggressive tread quality Goodyears on the back. They've been great! Cheap but new Goodyears all around on the S-10, it's not like it's going to ride like a Rolls or handle like a Mini anyway I wouldn't do runflats either.

Pete
Old Apr 29th 2014, 4:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Smooth roads. That's what they have in 'other states', right?

Too many bumps and potholes around here to mess with any kind of ride-ruining stuff for me. Usually I am careful and I can see them/avoid them but the odd one or two come up hidden from view and they'll dent the shit out of a steel rim.

The one that popped my tire was hit at night, I didn't see it at all until it was almost under my wheel. Now I have the alloys, I should fare better. .....
The in-laws broke an alloy wheel a few years ago and the dealer said it was the cold that made the alloy brittle. I don't know if that was correct or an excuse for a poor quality wheel, but if there is any truth to it, you'll need to be careful in the winter because it is even colder in northern IL than where my in-laws lived at the time.

...... Everything just feels less likely to fall apart on this car. ....
I thought you'd bought a Chevy?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 29th 2014 at 5:01 am.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 5:00 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The in-laws broke an alloy wheel a few years ago and the dealer said it was the cold that made the alloy brittle. I don't know if that was correct or an excuse for a poor quality wheel, but if there is any truth to it, you'll need to be careful in the winter because it is even colder in northern IL than where my in-laws lived at the time.

I thought you'd bought a Chevy? ;(
It was probably an excuse. My wife's car has been on the same alloys for the six years she's had it, two of which the car was parked exclusively outside. Now we have a garage, which helps a bit but so far the cold hasn't affected her wheels negatively at all.

Yeah, I know Chevy's reputation but compared to my old car, it is a massive improvement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.