Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
The ones in the US are made at Lordstown, Ohio. I will be passing by the Plant, tomorrow afternoon, en-route to Breezewood, PA.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...rdstown-ohio/1
Think we went past there too....the place was gigantic....sure where a lot of Chevy's driven in the area that's for sure.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:47 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Think we went past there too....the place was gigantic....sure where a lot of Chevy's driven in the area that's for sure.
Could you read the Korean roadsigns? Did they take American dollars?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
It was a wonder, that's for sure
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

The Chevy Cruze sold in the US is assembled in a remote Korean outpost called Lordstown, Ohio.

A lot of the engineering was performed in Korea. But Ohio is still part of the US, last I checked.
They started building the Cruz in the U.S. in 2010. However the car was being manufactured for other countries prior to that. Mexico got the Cruz the year before the U.S. and those were made in Korea.

As for quality, in the first year it had the lowest reliability score of all compacts. In 2011 they issued a recall for steering wheels breaking away from the steering column. Nothing to worry about there.
They also recalled almost half a million made at the Lordstown Plant because of the risk of engine compartment fires.

The initial imports to the from Daewoo badged as Chevrolet were the Lanos moved to Chevrolet as the Aveo and after 2012 as the Sonic. Those were the early imports I was referring to.

GM may have improved the Cruz (which, by the way, was also made by Suzuki at one time) but I have little faith in GM quality, based on way too many years of experience dealing with their lack of it.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If the technology and infrastructure don't reach critical mass, then Tesla is unlikely to survive long term.
Elon Musk decided not to launch the Model X this year so they could concentrate on customer service and getting the Supercharger network expanded. One Supercharger in FL could well be ready as soon as later this month, another is in progress and the third has planning permission granted. They seem to be getting a handle on the infrastructure end of things.

I picked up "The Beest" today. F-ing fantastic!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:32 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Elon Musk decided not to launch the Model X this year so they could concentrate on customer service and getting the Supercharger network expanded.
Having reviewed the financial statements, I would say that he slowed down the R&D spending so that he could report a first quarter profit (even though the company still generated an operating loss; the profit was produced by a non-operating accounting entry, not from operations.) Had Tesla maintained its R&D spending at 2012 levels, then the company would have reported a loss.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:37 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by dakota44
They started building the Cruz in the U.S. in 2010. However the car was being manufactured for other countries prior to that. Mexico got the Cruz the year before the U.S. and those were made in Korea.

As for quality, in the first year it had the lowest reliability score of all compacts. In 2011 they issued a recall for steering wheels breaking away from the steering column. Nothing to worry about there.
They also recalled almost half a million made at the Lordstown Plant because of the risk of engine compartment fires.

The initial imports to the from Daewoo badged as Chevrolet were the Lanos moved to Chevrolet as the Aveo and after 2012 as the Sonic. Those were the early imports I was referring to.

GM may have improved the Cruz (which, by the way, was also made by Suzuki at one time) but I have little faith in GM quality, based on way too many years of experience dealing with their lack of it.
It's Cruze, not Cruz. (Lousy name, I know.)

Cars are produced in multiple countries. It's not unusual for cars to be sourced temporarily from other locations while local plants are being tooled for assembly.

I can tell that you're not a GM fan (and frankly, I'm not, either), but do try to make up your mind about what it is that you don't like. Faulting GM for being a multinational doesn't make much sense; the major producers all do similar things.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's Cruze, not Cruz. (Lousy name, I know.)

Cars are produced in multiple countries. It's not unusual for cars to be sourced temporarily from other locations while local plants are being tooled for assembly.

I can tell that you're not a GM fan (and frankly, I'm not, either), but do try to make up your mind about what it is that you don't like. Faulting GM for being a multinational doesn't make much sense; the major producers all do similar things.
I do not fault GM for being a multinational. I posted quite clearly in another post why I do not like GM based on 30 years of experience in the business and with all of the problems inherent in their products. Their quality, customer care and warranty abuses have sucked for decades, which is why they have shrunk from more than 60% of the U.S. market to around 20%. My ex's cousin used to work for GM as a regional service rep. He described his job description as "Find any excuse to deny the claim." He quit after three years because he got tired of telling people with pooched engines or transmissions or some other proboem that GM wouldn't cover it, warranty or not. They had so many problems that they could not afford to fix them all without the customer paying. I have no real faith that they have changed all that much. I would be happy to see them prove me wrong.

As an aside, when Toyota entered NASCAR, the fans and particularly a few of the big team owners were apoplectic. How dare a foreign car be in NASCAR. It took one of the drivers to remind them that the Camry, the model name used in NASCAR, was made in the U.S. and the Chevrolet Impala, the model name used in NASCAR at the time, was made in Mexico and that a number of other GM products were not made by GM at all. Also, the attachment of the "Americas Car" moniker on something manufactured in a foreign country by someone other than GM was more than a tad dishonest. Never was a fan of that kind of deception. If you think you are buying a real Chevy, it should be a real Chevy, especially for the 'only buy made in the USA crowd' who were deceived.

Last edited by dakota44; Jul 10th 2013 at 3:50 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

What do people think of Subaru? In particular the Outback and Forrester?

We need a second car and these are tempting me.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:18 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
What do people think of Subaru? In particular the Outback and Forrester?

We need a second car and these are tempting me.
Subarus are generally solid cars. The driving experience is a matter of taste. They all have AWD and boxer engines, which may or may not float your boat. Subaru also uses CVTs, which almost always detract from the driving experience. (Conventional automatics, as compromised as they can be, are usually preferable to CVTs.)

The 2014 Forester will be a new model. There will be a new Outback for the 2015 model year (which means that it will be out sometime in 2014, probably in the summer or autumn.)

Subaru sales are climbing; you may find that this reduces your ability to negotiate. You should certainly consider the alternatives, particularly if you don't need AWD (which many people don't really need, even in snow country.)
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:23 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by dakota44
I have no real faith that they have changed all that much.
Reliability has improved for cars generally -- they've all changed their production systems to more closely resemble Toyota's lean system. A 2013 Chevy should be far more reliable than a 1973 Toyota, for example. But it's debatable whether the Chevy will have the long-term durability of a 2013 Toyota.

As I said, I'm not much of a GM fan myself. But their Korean operations don't really have anything to do with it. The problems are the result of what happens at headquarters, not from any specific factory or country.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reliability has improved for cars generally -- they've all changed their production systems to more closely resemble Toyota's lean system. A 2013 Chevy should be far more reliable than a 1973 Toyota, for example. But it's debatable whether the Chevy will have the long-term durability of a 2013 Toyota.

As I said, I'm not much of a GM fan myself. But their Korean operations don't really have anything to do with it. The problems are the result of what happens at headquarters, not from any specific factory or country.
No question that it was the bean counters at GM that ruined the company. For a long time there were not really any true car people at the top. GM also would not listen to the people on the line, whereas Toyota did and took a lot of their advice. Reliability has improved for most brands, no doubt. But to be honest, except for Ford, the domestics still lag far behind IMHO. Ford has been getting steadily better I think, at least by comparison.

I cannot count how many Toyota vehicles that I saw that were 10 to 15 years old with 400, 500 even more than 800,000 kilometers and not a serious problem ever. So for me it is not really debatable. I do not see GM ever catching them on that front. The difference between U.S. and Japanese Corporations was once explained like this. In the U.S. the think and plan in terms of the next quarter (quarterly profits and stock price) whereas in Japan they think and plan in terms of the next quarter century.

As far as the foreign plants are concerned, my concern was with the Daewoo plant when it was not really in any way a GM plant.

I do love talking cars. Have to admit that since I retired I have missed the business. Sure had my share of headaches, but I enjoyed it.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... They all have AWD ......
The Subaru BRZ doesn't!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:56 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.