Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 24th 2014, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Vimto
Just be thankful they don't sell Renault Meganes in the US
see how long it takes 5th Gear to replace a head lamp
The lack of French cars does make the US even more attractive.
Apart from the lack of income you can make on repairing them.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 12:23 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Isn't 'reliable Chevy' an oxymoron?
Hmm, the latest JD Power surveys after 3rd year of ownership rank GM vehicles quite high and better than Ford.

So, it a reliable Chevy is not an "oxymoron."

As an aside, with people talking about diesel engines and being amused at who owns what, before WWII, the US Navy licensed some technology from MAN to build diesel engines by "Hooven-Owens-Resntschler" aka "H.O.R.." Those engines were a disaster and submariners called them "whores" after the initials. H.O.R. engines were generally replaced by GM or Fairbanks-Morse engines.

GM engines later became "Detroit Diesel" and guess who owns them now? Daimler Benz. Go figure.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4
Renault could **** anything up. They owned AMC before it was sold to Chrysler. Chrysler made out well on that deal by acquiring Jeep rather than spending huge sums to develop their own vehicle in that category. They also got a new, state of the art plant in Bramalea, Ontario. Where they got screwed was on the Eagle Premier.

Technologically the car was ahead of most others in some ways. Reliability wise, not so much. Loads of electrical issues and mechanical problems including V6's that tended to overheat and damned expensive to work on. I recall that the labor hours in our service department to replace a steering rack on a Dynasty was somewhere around 1.5. On a Premier it was closer to 15. The car had a PRV-V6 engine from Renault. It had had a 4cyl Renault as well, later replaced with an AMC 4cyl that was eventually dropped.

Chrysler had pledged to sell 150,000 or so to satisfy contractual arrangements with the body builder (Magna). Never happened. Less than 40,000 in the first year. They produced a total of around 130,000 for the life of the car. They had an agreement to use about 250,000 PRV engines from Renault and had to pay a penalty for every one they did not use. At the end, in Canada, there was a $3,000 rebate and $5,000 of dealer cash on ever one sold. Chrysler was happy to be rid of them.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4
The Megane is a great car. To drive. I would never ever ever own one though
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of Peugeot and Renault and Citroen cars here. A French fellow that I know here just bought a Nissan. I jokingly said, so even you don't want a French car. He laughed and said that even in France they say that you can buy a good car, or buy a French one, but not both.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
There are a lot of Peugeot and Renault and Citroen cars here.
Where? - There's no Frenchies near me.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Where? - There's no Frenchies near me.
Peru. And I don't mean Indiana.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of Peugeot and Renault and Citroen cars here. A French fellow that I know here just bought a Nissan. I jokingly said, so even you don't want a French car. .....
Who owns Nissan?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Who owns Nissan?
They have an alliance with Renault. Not the same as having cars made by them. They each own shares in each other.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh and yeah, I know I said a lot of folks up in the woods in Maine don't have diesel trucks, because a lot of stations don't sell it in winter, but these are company works trucks who are licensed to use commercial/agricultural diesel and get their own tanker supply of it.

You can't use that fuel on regular trucks. I don't quite know the details but I think it's the level of sulphur is different and it trips the emissions control chip on a regular, state inspected pick up so that they go into limp home mode and in a couple of trucks, just kills the engine. There are ways around it but getting caught by the staties isn't worth it as the penalties are pretty huge. The diesel is cheap though, about 80c a gallon or so with the reduced taxes and getting it in a tanker truck full.
The off road diesel here in Virginia is around 30 cents a gallon less. It is high sulphur but will run in older trucks. If they are doing a spot check on the road your tank will be checked. The size of the tank not how much you have in it determines the level of the offense.
A common misconception is that if you put "Farm Use" plates on a truck you can run off road diesel in it on the highway.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
The off road diesel here in Virginia is around 30 cents a gallon less. It is high sulphur but will run in older trucks. If they are doing a spot check on the road your tank will be checked. The size of the tank not how much you have in it determines the level of the offense.
A common misconception is that if you put "Farm Use" plates on a truck you can run off road diesel in it on the highway.
Up in Maine, it's not farm plates, it's a certain type of commercial plate, mostly for loggers.

Getting it means a different type of emissions inspection done at a truck shop, with a different emissions level, that wouldn't run on a regular car.

The nuts and bolts of how it works, I don't know.

FIL isn't to bothered as he has a works truck and when he has to use his own, gets a company credit card to pay for the petrol as he doesn't have a diesel truck.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Up in Maine, it's not farm plates, it's a certain type of commercial plate, mostly for loggers.

Getting it means a different type of emissions inspection done at a truck shop, with a different emissions level, that wouldn't run on a regular car.

The nuts and bolts of how it works, I don't know.

FIL isn't to bothered as he has a works truck and when he has to use his own, gets a company credit card to pay for the petrol as he doesn't have a diesel truck.
Where in Maine are you? I put some time in there, in Augusta, for the structural steel fabricating company I was working for at the time. Before you were born, I suspect.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 3:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

They have an alliance with Renault. Not the same as having cars made by them. They each own shares in each other.
It's a bit more than an alliance; the last time I heard, they share CEO.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's a bit more than an alliance; the last time I heard, they share CEO.
They do. Carlos Ghosn. Yet Nissan is still Nissan. They are also affiliated with a Chinese company, damned if I can remember that name, and a Russian one. Typical of the world auto industry these days. Oh, and Daimler AG as well in terms of stock ownership.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 11:03 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
The Megane is a great car. To drive. I would never ever ever own one though
I like the look of the RS 250. (Never driven one, just like the appearance).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.