Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 22nd 2014, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
The Ram I want is a 3500 year 2006 or 2007 , with less than 160K. On Ebay most of the Rams of similar vintage and mileage are around 18K and over (with a Cummins). I'd imagine they must be decent trucks to still command that price.

The Ram trucks that you hear about and have expereince with, are they 1500, 2500 or 3500?

I am only lookin at a 3500 dually 4x4 because I need the hauling capacity of the 3500.

Don't want the Cummins 6.7L cause it is reputed to be less fuel efficient than the 5.9L due to emissions add on equipment. Would get a Ford but their diesels aren't as fuel efficient especially under heavy load . Both the Ford and GM diesels were desgined for consumer use while the Cummins was designed for commerical/industrial applications from the start.
As I said before, I agree Cummins is really good. We were thrilled when Dodge went with Cummins. With about 20 years managing Chrysler dealerships I've seen all that could possibly go wrong with a Dodge truck, no matter 1500, 2500 or 3500. As Bob mentioned, it may have a Cummins, but the other bits are the issue. Chronic front end problems, transmission issues just to name a few. Not at all unheard of for someone to go through 3 transmissions in 160,000 or so. Std trannies were better. I forgot to mention, check the frame. They had cracking issues somewhere around that year. Give it a good look while on a lift.

What you need to do is get the serial number for anything that you are considering and have a Dodge service department run the maintenance and warranty record. If they refuse because you are not the owner of the truck, you might need to have the seller do that. If he is unwilling, he has something to hide. If the seller says he did the maintenance elsewhere, ask for records. Also run the serial number through an accident search. There are websites to do that. You should also ask to take the truck for an inspection. Their history is bad enough without buying one with unseen problems.

You also want to confirm that all recalls have been performed. You would be surprised how many people don't bother or don't know about it. Here are just a few recalls of the 2006 Dodge 3500. Notice the steering, brake and suspension issues. Not something one wants problems with at any time, but especially while towing.

Recall Date FEB 09, 2006
Component SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE
Model Affected Ram 3500

Recall Date NOV 06, 2013
Component STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY
Model Affected Ram 3500

Recall Date FEB 01, 2007
Component SUSPENSION
Model Affected Ram 3500

Recall Date MAY 03, 2010
Component STEERING:GEAR BOX:SHAFT PITMAN
Model Affected Ram 3500

Recall Date JUL 06, 2011
Component STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY
Model Affected Ram 3500

Last edited by dakota44; Feb 22nd 2014 at 3:04 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 2:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer

The Ram trucks that you hear about and have expereince with, are they 1500, 2500 or 3500?
All but one was the 3500. The one where the engine fell out the bottom was the 2500.

They were all bought for hauling capacity too, to carry logging equipment and crane parts out to the woods.

The tranny is the biggest killer, then in no particular order or severity, but would be brakes, suspension and engine mounts.

Edit: to add, the outfit have their own truck service shop and registered to do state inspections, so they're not running these things without regular service and care either.

Anyway, they do look pretty good and if you're looking for a town runner and to lug some furniture about they're probably a winner. If you're planning to haul anything heavy on a weekly basis or more, then I'd probably avoid.

Last edited by Bob; Feb 22nd 2014 at 2:50 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 7:19 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Ford Ranger it is then � ����
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just going back to the motor racing theme, I'm watching the Daytona 500. NASCAR really is so hick! Even the commentators are with phrases like 'you got a copy good brother' and '10.4's everywhere LOL. Wanted to see the 'gentlemen start your engines' bit, which I missed, so I'll watch the first half a dozen laps then probably the last 3 LOL.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 12:51 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

yuki, I'd consider an F150 with a 300 and manual trans, something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-150-X...US_Cars_Trucks

Pete
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:40 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I had a couple of Mk1 Mexicos in my early career - second one caught fire as I was driving home from work one day - fuel pipe steel insert pulled out of the carb body and sprayed the engine - had to coast to the side of the road and get out of the passenger side (fuel pipe on fire under the drivers side, flames licking up the door).

Shame, it was a great car, I had got it in a part-ex for a really rough Mk2 RS2000 ex-rally car I had been hacking around the woods in for the previous year.
My Mexico had some sort of issue where you could pull the gear shift straight out of the gearbox and out of the floor. I think it had some sort of plastic bushing that had worn out or dropped off or something.

Didn't really affect much... You could just plug it back into the hole.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
yuki, I'd consider an F150 with a 300 and manual trans, something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-150-X...US_Cars_Trucks

Pete
A nice, kicking it old school F-150
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Oh and yeah, I know I said a lot of folks up in the woods in Maine don't have diesel trucks, because a lot of stations don't sell it in winter, but these are company works trucks who are licensed to use commercial/agricultural diesel and get their own tanker supply of it.

You can't use that fuel on regular trucks. I don't quite know the details but I think it's the level of sulphur is different and it trips the emissions control chip on a regular, state inspected pick up so that they go into limp home mode and in a couple of trucks, just kills the engine. There are ways around it but getting caught by the staties isn't worth it as the penalties are pretty huge. The diesel is cheap though, about 80c a gallon or so with the reduced taxes and getting it in a tanker truck full.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
can you say sh!t
Happened to my uncle, but with an XJ6! Thye picked it up from his house for its first service (500 miles on it, I think) and dropped it.

They called him and told him they'd make it up to him and delivered a brand new XJ12 Daimler Vanden Plas in its place.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 3:03 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
A nice, kicking it old school F-150
Yeah! Cool and reliable. Not easy on gas though! I would've gotten one last purchase, but I didn't need a full size so I got an older S-10 with the 2.5l iron duke and 5 speed. I did a LOT of research before buying it, I prefer known reliability. Though it's a little small for me I like it, and it's been getting 22-25 mpg overall. Good little putz arounder.

Pete
Old Feb 24th 2014, 3:29 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
My Mexico had some sort of issue where you could pull the gear shift straight out of the gearbox and out of the floor. I think it had some sort of plastic bushing that had worn out or dropped off or something.

Didn't really affect much... You could just plug it back into the hole.
Many years ago I owned a VW Rabbit made in the former "Westmoreland" plant. Most unreliable car I've ever owned over 40 years.

On a VW shifter, one gets past the reverse lockout by pushing down on the lever. One fine day I found out that the lever was held in place by a plastic bracket which broke when I went to put it in reverse. I had to drive to the mechanic holding the lever up lest it fall though the floor.

[On my Peugeot 505S, part of the shift linkage once broke and I could not go above 2nd gear. A very slow drive to the shop. That said, that Peugot was quite reliable and arguably one of my favorite cars among the ones I have owned.]
Old Feb 24th 2014, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

For serious towing the F350 Dually diesel is the most commonly used truck in our area.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't 'reliable Chevy' an oxymoron?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Just be thankful they don't sell Renault Meganes in the US
see how long it takes 5th Gear to replace a head lamp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4
Old Feb 24th 2014, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

I missed the old Ford convo a few pages back :-(
My first car was a Mk2 Esky. A Friday afternoon special.
A 1.3 Ghia loaded with RS bits straight from Dagenham, wheels, brakes, suspension, seats, 6 dial dash.
A friends gran had it from new in 1980.. I got it from her in 96 with a genuine 23k miles on it for £50.
Just needed the 5 layers of tobacco smoke removing from the interior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.