Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Sep 23rd 2020, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Does it support BOTH Apple Carplay AND Android Auto? I'm waiting for that situation to settle down. For a while, certain mfr's would go one way or the other. They really all need to support both.
It supports both although as we have iPhones I haven't tried it with an Android. There are some limitations I don't like and one really frustrating thing. Firstly, you don't seem to be able to choose which applications appear on CarPlay. For example, I subscribe to The Economist and they have an audio feature for the whole magazine. It's great. But... I have no idea how to get it in CarPlay. I suspect this is a CarPlay as opposed to Honda limitation. Secondly - and this is bugging the hell out of me - I have no idea how to change the volume of audio directions on either Google or Apple maps. Neither the phone's audio controls or the audio volume on the car change it. I can mute though. Again, I don't know whether this is a Honda or CarPlay issue.

One 'show stopper' for me would be air conditioning controls. I am a bit of a 'tweaker' when it comes to AC temperature and fan speed. I like dedicated, physical buttons on the dash that I can reach out to and press. Having to navigate through levels of on-screen menus for these things is unacceptable to me. My current Lexus RX350 has dedicated temperature and fan speed buttons, but to turn the AC off, you have to navigate deep down some menus - they really assume you never want to turn off the AC.
I agree with you completely. The Honda buttons allow you to select temperature, fan speed, auto temperature, on/off, recirculation but not A/C! To switch A/C on and off you have to press the climate button and then A/C on and off on a menu. So a two-step process where it should be one. Also, there's no visual indication as to whether A/C is on or off. Annoying, but I can live with it.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 23rd 2020 at 7:14 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
California to ban gas only cars by 2035. This also appears to ban standard hybrids, but not plugin hybrids. Presumably this will result in litigation from the climate change deniers of the Trump Administration:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...n-15591347.php
If we haven't pulled our fingers out by then and already have made significant changes I don't suppose that order will do anything more than trigger the deniers. I am going to play devil's advocate and say that I think we've already past the tipping point, we might not have had the technology or the will but this should have been seriously addressed during the 80's. It's now a moot point as to whether this is caused by man or natural events, we are like the live frog being brought to the boil whichever view we take.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
If we haven't pulled our fingers out by then and already have made significant changes I don't suppose that order will do anything more than trigger the deniers. I am going to play devil's advocate and say that I think we've already past the tipping point, we might not have had the technology or the will but this should have been seriously addressed during the 80's. It's now a moot point as to whether this is caused by man or natural events, we are like the live frog being brought to the boil whichever view we take.
I don't think that's playing devil's advocate, it's actually being brutally honest.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

California to ban gas only cars by 2035. This also appears to ban standard hybrids, but not plugin hybrids. Presumably this will result in litigation from the climate change deniers of the Trump Administration:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...n-15591347.php

BC is similiar with the ZEVA legislation passed last year. By 2025 10% of all vehicle sales must be what is deemed zero emissions, and by 2040 100% of all car and truck sales must be zero emission.

Zero emission vehicles to include battery electric, plug-in hybrids, and hydrogen fuel-cell models.

There are loopholes though, so time will tell if it goes into full effect.

Right now eclectic cars tend to cost more upfront and most people the upfront cost is the big one, I can average the operating costs over time, but I can't come up with 30k+ upfront to get a car, which is why we have a gas powered, there was no electric cars in the sub 20k range used at that time.

I'd rather not even have a car, but its essential in these parts since the density to support transit doesn't exist.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 23rd 2020 at 7:59 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Secondly - and this is bugging the hell out of me - I have no idea how to change the volume of audio directions on either Google or Apple maps. Neither the phone's audio controls or the audio volume on the car change it. I can mute though. Again, I don't know whether this is a Honda or CarPlay issue.
On my truck, you have to catch it while it's 'talking' and adjust the volume. i.e. while it's announcing directions, adjust the volume. It does the same on my wife's car as well.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

It supports both although as we have iPhones I haven't tried it with an Android. There are some limitations I don't like and one really frustrating thing. Firstly, you don't seem to be able to choose which applications appear on CarPlay. For example, I subscribe to The Economist and they have an audio feature for the whole magazine. It's great. But... I have no idea how to get it in CarPlay. I suspect this is a CarPlay as opposed to Honda limitation. ...
I do know that every 'guest' app that gets 'presented' in these Apps (Apple Carplay / Android Auto) has to be approved by someone for inclusion. The user interface has to be deemed 'safe' enough. I know that when I last drove a rental that had Android Auto, I could not use Waze for GPS. But I then read that Waze made changes that 'conformed' and then it was allowed. Sounds odd that an 'audio' app like the Economist would not comply, but it could be that it is simply awaiting approval. Take a read of this - specifically discusses the Economist app and Apple Car Play - https://medium.com/datadriveninvesto...e-58f6bd48e864 . He does suggest a workaround "My workaround is to start the audio playing in the app before I start the car. Then it shows inside the built-in “Now Playing” app on the CarPlay screen."- though this is from circa 2019. This economist article specifically mentions carplay ... https://www.economist.com/help/faq/access . This article looks to be from an economist developer who worked on an Economist app that he says got canceled; he has a 'contact me' button ... you might be able to find out if there is a solution in the works! https://www.jondarke.com/economist-radio .

I agree with you completely. The Honda buttons allow you to select temperature, fan speed, auto temperature, on/off, recirculation but not A/C! To switch A/C on and off you have to press the climate button and then A/C on and off on a menu. So a two-step process where it should be one. Also, there's no visual indication as to whether A/C is on or off. Annoying, but I can live with it.
Not even a green light somewhere to tell you AC is on? With my car, if I press 'auto', a green light comes on and the A/C is definitely on. But then any action away from auto - be it 'fan control', 'recirculation', or AC on/off, makes the green light go out. So this isn't 100% correlation to AC on/off, but at least you know the AC is ON if the light is on! It seems the car designers want you to run the AC all the time these days. I have several issues with that; 1) many cars haven't fixed the fundamental problem of the interior 'fogging up' if you eventually turn off the AC after having run it for a while, so my solution much of the time is to not turn it on to begin with; 2) you can hear the AC cycling and I don't like that noise shift; 3) AC uses power which is a waste when you don't need it; 4) I prefer 'outdoor air temp' much of the time. Even if I select, say, 72 F and it's 72 F outside, if the AC is on, it will deliver colder air for a while, then cycle off (warmer air) then back on with colder air, etc. But if I turn off the AC, I get a steady stream of 72F air from outside.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 1:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My truck has windows, can not remember last time I used AC.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
BC is similiar with the ZEVA legislation passed last year. By 2025 10% of all vehicle sales must be what is deemed zero emissions, and by 2040 100% of all car and truck sales must be zero emission.

Zero emission vehicles to include battery electric, plug-in hybrids, and hydrogen fuel-cell models.

There are loopholes though, so time will tell if it goes into full effect.

Right now eclectic cars tend to cost more upfront and most people the upfront cost is the big one, I can average the operating costs over time, but I can't come up with 30k+ upfront to get a car, which is why we have a gas powered, there was no electric cars in the sub 20k range used at that time.

I'd rather not even have a car, but its essential in these parts since the density to support transit doesn't exist.
Do you have a dedicated parking space in your building? The issue of locating a charger is a possible challenge, although it could be addressed in time. Not sure about places like the UK, though, were 'on street' parking is absolutely the norm for many.

Edit to add - I mentioned upthread that there are some proposals that batteries become removable, swappable commodities that are not owned by the car owner. You drive into a 'power station' (like a gas station), slide out dead battery, slide in newly charged battery, and drive off. You get credit for any residual charge on the battery you 'turn in'. The 'power station' owner/operator is responsible for QC'ing the batteries, making sure they are charged, safe, working, etc. This would remove the need for everyone to have a charging station at home.

Last edited by Steerpike; Sep 24th 2020 at 2:06 am.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
My truck has windows, can not remember last time I used AC.
Does your truck reach 80mph? What's it like inside the cabin at 80 mph with the windows open? Also, I presume you don't have 115F summer days where you are ...
Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:02 am
Account Closed

I am in the boonies and noticed a couple of chargers being put in in the local town, I have nothing against electric, can see many advantages, and some disadvantages, however they certainly will have little impact on saving the planet.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:03 am
Account Closed

Does your truck reach 80mph? What's it like inside the cabin at 80 mph with the windows open? Also, I presume you don't have 115F summer days where you are ...
It used to, now downhill maybe.

I live in Colorado. We had snow 2 weeks ago.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
I am in the boonies and noticed a couple of chargers being put in in the local town, I have nothing against electric, can see many advantages, and some disadvantages, however they certainly will have little impact on saving the planet.
That depends on how the electricity is generated. If you live in a state like Colorado with its dirty coal-fired power stations, then certainly there's little advantage. Other states and countries are more advanced in terms of cleaner generation.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:17 am
Account Closed

That depends on how the electricity is generated. If you live in a state like Colorado with its dirty coal-fired power stations, then certainly there's little advantage. Other states and countries are more advanced in terms of cleaner generation.
My local electricity association initially anyway was supplied with hydro electric, mega wind farms in Colorado, also a major manufacturing center for wind turbines. I have a family member who makes them. But that is just apart of the equation. I am not off grid but quite a few people I know are, PV better up here.

Old Sep 24th 2020, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a dedicated parking space in your building? The issue of locating a charger is a possible challenge, although it could be addressed in time. Not sure about places like the UK, though, were 'on street' parking is absolutely the norm for many.

Edit to add - I mentioned upthread that there are some proposals that batteries become removable, swappable commodities that are not owned by the car owner. You drive into a 'power station' (like a gas station), slide out dead battery, slide in newly charged battery, and drive off. You get credit for any residual charge on the battery you 'turn in'. The 'power station' owner/operator is responsible for QC'ing the batteries, making sure they are charged, safe, working, etc. This would remove the need for everyone to have a charging station at home.

We currently do have a parking space yes, and I would assume eventually building owners will be forced to install electric chargers but we are not yet to a point where enough have electric cars so building owners feel no pressure to install chargers.

New builds in Vancouver have to have certain amount of chargers though now, but older buildings lack them.

I think the battery swapping thing you mention might be a better option, especially in city's where a higher percentage of the population live in condos and apartments.

Gas stations in Vancouver are slowly disappearing, nobody is building new ones, Chevron especially has been very active the last few years selling their stations, for what some of the lots have sold for, they said would take decades of selling gas.

The lots do sit empty for a few years usually though, and eventually condos will go up on them.

Old Sep 24th 2020, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

I could not imagine driving around in summer without air con, but then city life slower speeds makes the window a less viable option.

Even at only 75-80 degrees sitting in traffic in summer in Vancouver without air con is very uncomfortable.

On my weekly commute when living in Vancouver and working at the airport, my average speed for the week was 30km/h (about 18 miles per hour) so windows not really all that effective at those speeds. Plus the noise with the windows down isn't fun, the semi trucks and buses especially very noisy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.