Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 11th 2020, 1:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by sid nv
Why do so many drivers not indicate (US: use blinkers) when turning left or right? Is it laziness, ignorance, or is it a deliberate refusal to inform other drivers of their intentions?
A typical scenario is driving down a major through route in the right-hand lane behind a pickup truck, and the first indication that the driver in front intends to turn into Tres Amigos Mart is when his brake lights illuminate. We then come to a complete stop because the driver is both incapable of making a sharp right hand turn and unable to judge his vehicle's width. Pickup truck drivers require two lanes in order to turn, so I now have to wait until the exit lane from the car park is clear.

Oddly my wife asserts that women drivers are the worst, although I am sure men are just as bad. Hopefully these new genders I have been reading about will be better when it comes to indicating.

Is it really that difficult to flip the indicator stick up or down? My 1950s Morris Minor had a large dashboard-mounted rotary knob to operate the indicators, which meant taking a hand off the steering wheel to turn the knob. I think those flashing indicators were a post-factory addition to the original equipment, which was still in place:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rafficator.jpg
It's just not seen as particularly important. In NC you cannot be stopped by the police for only not indicating. I suspect that is true in most if not all other states
Old Jan 11th 2020, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's just not seen as particularly important. In NC you cannot be stopped by the police for only not indicating. I suspect that is true in most if not all other states
Best not to come to Washington State, as that is a reason to pull people over. The courts recently confirmed that every lane change and every direction change, even if in a turn only lane requires the use of indicating.

Having said that people still don't indicate, or if they do they are often in a right side lane indicating right and then turn left!
Old Jan 11th 2020, 2:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
Best not to come to Washington State, as that is a reason to pull people over. ....
I have nothing to worry about, I'm British, I indicate everything, lane changes, roundabouts (on approach, and during transition), and in car parks; I even indicate left if I am staying on the main road if a upcoming "right turn" is actually straight fowards and the main road has a small radius 90° left bend.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea if this is an authorative source, but my research for NC reveals that
The signal herein required shall be given by means of the hand and arm in the manner herein specified, or by any mechanical or electrical signal device approved by . . .
https://law.justia.com/codes/north-c...gs_20-154.html

I will henceforth give by means of the hand and arm signal my intended response to such other vehicle that does not indicate.

Old Jan 11th 2020, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

It's worse here in Georgia where the vehicle in front of you will signal because the one in front of HIM is turning!

That's if there's any indication at all.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 9:20 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It's worse here in Georgia where the vehicle in front of you will signal because the one in front of HIM is turning!

Hmmm. Not sure I have personally seen anyone do that.

Not the lack of signalling on the other hand, that is irritating. Especially if they slam on their brakes about 5 yards before the turn when previously running at 50mph.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
.... that is irritating. Especially if they slam on their brakes about 5 yards before the turn when previously running at 50mph.
This!

My wife says I indicate too early when coming home, but most people following me up the main road seem to appreciate the forewarning and back off, giving me time to slow down and make the turn while they can maintain their speed at at least around 30mph.

I do sometimes wonder how many people think my brake lights are faulty as I ease off the gas with several hundred yards to go, down shift a couple of times, and usually make the turn without needing the brakes, or just with a small dab on the pedal.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 11th 2020 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about this recently. In the US, at least where I drive (CA, AZ), there's often multiple lanes, and the general usage seems to be that people stay out of the right lane altogether unless they plan to get off the road at some point. Thus, the right hand lane, which in 'UK' usage would be the only lane to be used, ends up being used solely as a turn-off lane. 'Through' traffic sticks to the remaining lanes. This perhaps applies more to urban freeways than city streets, but I've noticed similar behavior on some city streets. I was in the center lane when I was pondering this ... I thought '... I'd be chastised by my British friends if they saw me ambling along in the center lane'; then I remembered why I do this - precisely to avoid what you guys are talking about here - people abruptly slowing down and turning right! ETA - it also has the added advantage of allowing vehicles wanting to join the main road to do so without having to wait for an endless stream of cars to pass...
Old Jan 13th 2020, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

It simply boils down to drivers over here don’t give a flying s*** about anyone else. No indication, sitting in the outside lane without a care in the world........ I used to love driving. I now hate it. The car just sits in the drive only getting used when absolutely needed. Thank god for the motorcycle and being able to legally lane split!!!!
Old Jan 13th 2020, 2:03 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Nice collection of BMW Z Roadsters this past weekend at our local cars and coffee.

The black Z8 is for sale $175K !

Z Roadster selection
Old Jan 13th 2020, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by excpomea
Nice collection of BMW Z Roadsters this past weekend at our local cars and coffee.

The black Z8 is for sale $175K ! ....
A nice group - I think the Z3 is the best looking, but like a number of other instances, BMW ruined it by making it bigger when they replaced it with the Z4. Toyota did that with the Celica when they replaced the beautiful fifth gen '89-'93 with the sixth, Honda did it with the Prelude when they replaced the well-proportioned fourth gen '91-'96 with the bloated fifth, and Triumph did it with the TR5 when they replaced it with the TR6. Just making a car bigger, doesn't make it better!

The Z8 was a boutique car (made in small numbers), and from what I have heard, it doesn't even handle very well. That one might be a $50k car, but $175k is stupid, though I know other examples sell for more.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 13th 2020 at 3:18 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 3:14 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

A nice group - I think the Z3 is the best looking, but like a number of other instances, BMW ruined it by making it bigger when they replaced it with the Z4. Toyota did that with the Celica when they replaced the beautiful fifth gen '89-'93 with the sixth, Honda did it with the well-proportioned Prelude when they replaced the fourth gen '91-'96 with the fifth, and Triumph did it with the TR5 when they replaced it with the TR6. Just making a car bigger, doesn't make it better!

The Z8 was a boutique car (made in small numbers), and from what I have heard, it doesn't even handle very well. That one might be a $50k car, but $175k is stupid, though I know other examples sell for more.
I agree ref the Z3, the nicest looking. Never really took to the Z4.
The silver M Roadster in the picture is mine.
I have first refusal on the Red M Coupe, but the prices keep rising and the owner is not keen to sell
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

DeLorean turned into a hovercraft...
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
https://twitter.com/DigitalTrends/st...94230265167872

DeLorean turned into a hovercraft...
Wow!
Old Feb 20th 2020, 1:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

https://anewspost.com/delorean-confi...-dmc-12s-cars/

Speaking of DeLorean, plans for a come back...and it's not a April 1st....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.