Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 24th 2019, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Jpk
Did you get the 2014 Accord new or second hand? Are they a good buy - if well kept - second hand? How many miles did manage?
The first used car I bought in the USA was the last. I buy new and keep until I've got at least 150,000 miles, and then pass it on to a family member.
Owning successive Honda Accords since 1986 speaks for itself as to whether I think they are a good buy.

1998 & 2014 Hondas
Old Aug 25th 2019, 12:02 am
Jpk
Just Joined

Jpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the rough

Thanks!
​​​They look great!
Old Aug 25th 2019, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
The first used car I bought in the USA was the last. I buy new and keep until I've got at least 150,000 miles, and then pass it on to a family member.
Owning successive Honda Accords since 1986 speaks for itself as to whether I think they are a good buy.

1998 & 2014 Hondas
When I first arrived in 1983, I picked up a used Accord with 77,000 miles on it for just a few thousand bucks. Drove it for years, without issue, till I got to 150,000 then bought another used Accord, this time with 'only' 55,000 miles on it. Kept that for quite a while too. By that point I was making very good money and wanted some of the latest safety features such as anti-lock brakes and reversing camera, so had to splurge on a new car in '92, getting an Acura Legend (which was from the same 'family' as the Accord). I kept that Legend through 2006, when it had 140,000 miles on it ... and gave it to my g/f. With Honda's, you just have to remember to change the timing belt on cue (not every model has this design but most Accords do).

I was busy spending every spare penny on property, which turned out to be a wise investment. Not something you hear much about in the context of cars!

Old Aug 25th 2019, 5:14 pm
Jpk
Just Joined

Jpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the roughJpk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Steerpike
When I first arrived in 1983, I picked up a used Accord with 77,000 miles on it for just a few thousand bucks. Drove it for years, without issue, till I got to 150,000 then bought another used Accord, this time with 'only' 55,000 miles on it. Kept that for quite a while too. By that point I was making very good money and wanted some of the latest safety features such as anti-lock brakes and reversing camera, so had to splurge on a new car in '92, getting an Acura Legend (which was from the same 'family' as the Accord). I kept that Legend through 2006, when it had 140,000 miles on it ... and gave it to my g/f. With Honda's, you just have to remember to change the timing belt on cue (not every model has this design but most Accords do).

I was busy spending every spare penny on property, which turned out to be a wise investment. Not something you hear much about in the context of cars!
Interesting - if I was to be lucky enough to come to US that would my plan: buy used for a few thousand $ if needed - of course neglecting any credit score advantage there may be in buying new etc.
Did you fin that they second hand were good buys? Here from what aI read people tend to buy new car - is there a reason on credit rating etc?
Old Aug 25th 2019, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jpk
Interesting - if I was to be lucky enough to come to US that would my plan: buy used for a few thousand $ if needed - of course neglecting any credit score advantage there may be in buying new etc.
Did you fin that they second hand were good buys? Here from what aI read people tend to buy new car - is there a reason on credit rating etc?
From reading BE, the used car market in the US seems difficult and overpriced, but back when I was looking for a car, I just looked in the classified ads, and shopped around. There was, and still is, something called the 'Kelly Blue Book' price, which I used as a guide. If you try to buy a used car from a dealer, then you will see stupid prices being asked for, but it's hard to know what the actual selling prices are. I seem to recall paying at the lower end of the 'blue book' price for my used cars. But back then, I was willing to drive around and look for cars. I remember driving all over the bay area, which was not easy. These days I'm simply not willing to hunt around like that, and I'm less inclined to risk dealing with private sales. But back in 1983, I had zero money and zero credit, so I had little choice. The company I joined didn't have much of a relo deal, so I had to make do.

Not only are Honda's well made cars, they tend to be driven carefully by people who can afford to maintain them. If you go for a 'sexy' car like a mustang or a camaro, you are likely to get a car formerly owned by a teenager who over-bought and then never did any maintenance, and drove it hard.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 9:51 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jpk
Don't listen to these guys, you're moving to the land of the free!

Free to have a F-off sized truck!

Let's talk about cars
Old Aug 26th 2019, 11:33 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

Let's talk about cars
Pulaski and I, at least, agree with you there... didn't someone on this thread recently buy a silverado too?
Old Aug 26th 2019, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Pulaski and I, at least, agree with you there... didn't someone on this thread recently buy a silverado too?
I bought a Silverado 1500 in January 2018. We recently upgraded our travel trailer which took us over the limit of the 1500 so have now upgraded to a GMC Sierra 2500HD.
Spoiler:

Old Aug 26th 2019, 12:39 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I bought a Silverado 1500 in January 2018. We recently upgraded our travel trailer which took us over the limit of the 1500 so have now upgraded to a GMC Sierra 2500HD.
Spoiler:

That's a bit more like it - proper USA.

How long is that trailer? Like the slide-outs.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bit more like it - proper USA.

How long is that trailer? Like the slide-outs.
Ball to bumper, it's 39ft 8in. 3 slide-outs. We bought the new one because we're now living in it since we sold the house. Needed more room.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:01 pm
Democracy advocate

Ball to bumper, it's 39ft 8in. 3 slide-outs. We bought the new one because we're now living in it since we sold the house. Needed more room.
Sweet, are you cruising around various bits of the US?
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sweet, are you cruising around various bits of the US?
I wish!

No. I'm being laid off at the end of October. Company was sold in March and they are closing down our facility. When we first found out, we put the house up for sale so we'd be free to go wherever the next job takes us.

We put the house up for sale in May and had a contract within 10 days. Closed in June and have been in the RV since.

November is a mystery.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Let's talk about cars
Oi you, I'll have you know that some of us make our 2014 Tundra's work for a living.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 6:22 am
Democracy advocate

I wish!

No. I'm being laid off at the end of October. Company was sold in March and they are closing down our facility. When we first found out, we put the house up for sale so we'd be free to go wherever the next job takes us.

We put the house up for sale in May and had a contract within 10 days. Closed in June and have been in the RV since.

November is a mystery.
Wow, I assume you didn't expect to be able to get a job in the local area?
Old Aug 27th 2019, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow, I assume you didn't expect to be able to get a job in the local area?
There were a few reasons but figured we needed to reduce costs and cash out the equity.

There are jobs around here but many are related to military and require security clearance. I may be able to get that but it may also require relinquishing British citizenship. Plus, if I'm up against another candidate who already has clearance...

I spent several years as a contractor in the UK which meant working away from home for weeks at a time. This way, home goes with me. At 57, age is not in my favour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.