Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jun 29th 2019, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Maste
We are not CostCo members, so couldn't use that program. I found out about TrueCar, is that the same premise? And do these websites often come back with good, no BS, deals? I have little patience and know I'll walk out of the dealership once the BS starts because I don't have time for that!
Many websites claim to do the same as Costco - offer you a no-bs deal. I can only speak in detail about the Costco version as I've used it twice to buy actual cars. I can tell you how Costco works, and you can compare to others. For the Costco deal, you
1) log in and choose a specific make/model.
2) Based on your location, they send you dealerships to choose from (assuming you live in an area with >1) (these dealerships have agreed in advance to work with the costco program).
3) You pick a dealership - typically the one closest to your home or most convenient.
4) They send you a name/number of a salesperson at the dealership to contact. YOU MUST contact this person, and NOT wander into the dealership and start talking to any old sales person. Once you talk to 'any old salesperson', you get into complications.
5) You go to the dealership and meet the specific person you were introduced to; this is a person within the dealership who knows how the 'costco' program works (other sales people aren't aware of the details and will latch onto you and then want their commission if you buy - hence, you need to NOT strike up a relationship with random sales people as you walk in).
6) This person will present to you the 'costco price'. From here, you can take a test drive, walk out the door, do what you like. If you decide to buy, you'll get it at the price offered. It's up to you to decide whether that price is good or not; they won't haggle. You can now leave, do more research, check a gazillion car buying websites, and decide for yourself if you like the costco price or not.
7) If you like the costco price, you go back and finalize the deal. Financing options, 'rust protection bs', 'extended warranty options', etc are still all going to be pitched at you and you just decline.

Like I said, I can't say Costco's price is any better than anyone else's; but Costco has a good reputation and they work hard to maintain it, so you can at least be assured that the price is 'within reason'. Costco membership is about $60 so it may just pay for itself with this one service.

When I used their service (twice), I satisfied myself that the price they offered was certainly no worse than any other option.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 10:12 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I've used TrueCar and you don't necessarily get the best price as TrueCar take a cut of the money too. It basically lets you contact multiple dealers in one go, but only the ones signed up with them.They'll all e-mail, call and want you to come in to test drive etc so you have to be prepared to tell them you're not coming in until they have the deal you want. You're probably better off contacting the dealers directly though as TrueCar seems to have reduced it's functionality and forces you to give them your contact details.
Old Jul 1st 2019, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking to replace my wife's car at some point this year, have only heard good things about the CostCo program so will certainly be worth investing a little bit of time on to see if the price is any better than what I've found so far.

Also, small update - Raptor barely gets used anymore, purchased a 1992 F250 with the 5.8 V8 off a neighbor whose wife wanted it off the drive as he couldn't use it anymore as it's a manual (stick shift ffs...) and his back is out of wack. Most fun I've ever had! Maybe more fun the Raptor!
Old Jul 1st 2019, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Looking to replace my wife's car at some point this year, have only heard good things about the CostCo program so will certainly be worth investing a little bit of time on to see if the price is any better than what I've found so far.

Also, small update - Raptor barely gets used anymore, purchased a 1992 F250 with the 5.8 V8 off a neighbor whose wife wanted it off the drive as he couldn't use it anymore as it's a manual (stick shift ffs...) and his back is out of wack. Most fun I've ever had! Maybe more fun the Raptor!
So, from the Colorado because you didn't need a full-size truck to the Raptor to an F-250...

When do you get the Dually?

We have been living in our RV for a month now and decided to upgrade to something bigger. Looked at 5th wheels but need a bigger truck. Looked at a Sierra 2500HD Denali diesel. Very nice truck but couldn't justify dropping $50k on a 4-year-old truck, particularly when I still had to buy the 5th wheel. We ended up getting a bigger travel trailer that we could pull with the existing truck (Silverado 1500). It's pushing the limits but tows great.
Old Jul 1st 2019, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
So, from the Colorado because you didn't need a full-size truck to the Raptor to an F-250...

When do you get the Dually?
Mostly for camping/hunting trips, I got two quotes for toppers for the Raptor, one from Leer for $3400 and one from ARE and that was $3200. This truck was $1200, I put new plugs, oil, filters, flushed the coolant and that cost me about $70 with a coupon at Advanced. Seemed like a more sensible move considering I could buy a truck for not even half the price of a topper
Old Jul 1st 2019, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Mostly for camping/hunting trips, I got two quotes for toppers for the Raptor, one from Leer for $3400 and one from ARE and that was $3200. This truck was $1200, I put new plugs, oil, filters, flushed the coolant and that cost me about $70 with a coupon at Advanced. Seemed like a more sensible move considering I could buy a truck for not even half the price of a topper
Sounds like a deal. How many miles? 8ft bed?
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding car buying ... I think it's worth noting that any car that is trendy or popular is going to command a higher price and you may never get a 'good deal' in that context. I've always been a fan of utterly boring cars like Honda Accords (or CRVs these days) which has to be the quintessential 'average car'. If I were looking to buy a 'mini cooper' or a BMW blah bla, I'm sure I'd find it much harder!
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Regarding car buying ... I think it's worth noting that any car that is trendy or popular is going to command a higher price and you may never get a 'good deal' in that context. I've always been a fan of utterly boring cars like Honda Accords (or CRVs these days) which has to be the quintessential 'average car'. If I were looking to buy a 'mini cooper' or a BMW blah bla, I'm sure I'd find it much harder!
YMMV.

In my experience it is exceptionally difficult to find gently used japanese autos in decent condition - I don't even get to the point of finding the price of them because they just don't exist here in LA. You're either on a 3 year old civic with 91,000 miles or 24 year old Lexus with 300,000.

Conversely, I found a very high spec, well serviced Mini with 43k on the clock for about $2k under the equivalent japanese box with double the mileage. Paid to get it inspected, inspected it myself, and I'm a happy camper. It took me about 5 months of searching for suitable hondas to no avail, and then I found this in about 10 days. Maybe I was lucky, who knows.

Broad strokes rarely work in the used "daily driver" market here in the US, or certainly here in LA. I find UK prices to be much more predictable.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Sounds like a deal. How many miles? 8ft bed?
Yep 8ft bed, came in handy for a recent Home Depot run!

it's done 176,000, barely broken in
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by shiversaint
YMMV.

In my experience it is exceptionally difficult to find gently used japanese autos in decent condition - I don't even get to the point of finding the price of them because they just don't exist here in LA. You're either on a 3 year old civic with 91,000 miles or 24 year old Lexus with 300,000.

Conversely, I found a very high spec, well serviced Mini with 43k on the clock for about $2k under the equivalent japanese box with double the mileage. Paid to get it inspected, inspected it myself, and I'm a happy camper. It took me about 5 months of searching for suitable hondas to no avail, and then I found this in about 10 days. Maybe I was lucky, who knows.

Broad strokes rarely work in the used "daily driver" market here in the US, or certainly here in LA. I find UK prices to be much more predictable.
That could be; I was talking new cars specifically. The used car market here in the US does seem to be a complete mystery. I did buy my last car used, through a friend who specializes in lease returns. I got a 3 year old lease-return Lexus with only 12,000 miles on it. I figured it was a 'mom's car' used to drive the little one to playschool or something. It actually came from LA, as it happens (bought it in NorCal).
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

The prices here seem to wildly from state to state for used cars. My first car here was a 2015 Volkswagen GTI. I knew exactly what spec/options I wanted and searched around Colorado for a good month before giving up. I finally found one, but it was the wrong color and way too expensive. Ended up purchasing it in Stockton CA, was cheaper to fly out there and drive it back!

If I remember rightly it was described as a 'voluntary repo', owner purchased it new, couldn't make the monthly payments and just drove it back to the dealership and handed them the keys.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 2:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

My Jaguar X type finally started costing more than it was worth so it got traded in yesterday.
My new work vehicle is a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe ( also named Santa Sleigh by M as it is a pretty Santa red colour)
For a small sized suv it is very comfortable and a smooth ride. I think im going to like it!
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 12:15 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a citizen for just under a month and I've just bought my first vehicle for me rather than getting the wife's hand me downs or a work vehicle. I actually went to the dealership to look at a grey LT Trail Boss but it had 5800 miles on which I don't really consider to be new, plus the grey wasn't as nice as I'd hoped in person so red it is, which is actually nicer in person.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 10:07 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Nice!

I really do hate the front ends of those Silervados though.

I'm seriously thinking about a Colorado as my next truck, since I hardly ever tow anything. It's hard to justify the insane prices that they are asking for these things right now.
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Great looking truck. Is it a V6 with automatic? When I bought my Tacoma last year I reluctantly went with a automatic but so far think it was a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.