Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Nov 5th 2018, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Did you have it replaced under warranty? Most manufacturers have a 3 year on batteries on new cars. It happened on our GTI a month or so ago at about 2.5 years old. They did try and stiff me on paying for it until I showed them the warranty

I find batteries nowadays give no indication on up and coming failure. Always seems to happen in the summer for me. I wonder if it's to do with the increase in electronics put into modern cars
FFS I didn't realize!! To be fair I was stuck in the middle of BFE and stopped at the nearest Pepboys! They repaired a puncture for free though!

Hey ho live n learn lol
Old Nov 5th 2018, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I find batteries nowadays give no indication on up and coming failure. Always seems to happen in the summer for me. I wonder if it's to do with the increase in electronics put into modern cars
I had the alternator man run tests on the truck before I pulled the alternator, with everything off (except the non-switchable daylight running lights, in this case my indicators, which is the source of a different gripe) and with the engine idling it was drawing 30 amps!!
For those in cooler climes this is a common time of year for batteries to go, just as you start switching on the heater and lights after a summer of engine only drawdown. Not that that would make any sense for those switching from full on a/c to full on heater!
Old Nov 6th 2018, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Well having driven a Jeep for 12 years listening to Pulaski telling me how unreliable they are one of our vehicles finally broke down. Mrs L was left stranded in the Lowes parking lot when her Toyota went tits up.

Nothing too serious just needed a new battery but the old one gave out with no warning at all.
Did you have it replaced under warranty? Most manufacturers have a 3 year on batteries on new cars. It happened on our GTI a month or so ago at about 2.5 years old. They did try and stiff me on paying for it until I showed them the warranty

Not really due to that, batteries are uprated where needed but when the car is running it is the alternator that does all the work. The only major load on the battery is starting. Unfortunately they seem to fail these days with cells fusing together, so they don't get progressively worse as cells fusing together makes the batter fine one minute, then the second a contact between cells in made bam, it's dead.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Tried to buy a 1997 Jaguar XK8 drop-top over the weekend but the guy selling couldn't be arsed to reply to my texts or phone calls.

Shame, I've always wanted one and this was affordable (provided there's nothing major wrong with it!).

It were red, too, with the beige top.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 1:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a 1958 Ford Fairlane on Boxing Day. Unsurprisingly it was in very nice condition, but what was surprising was where I saw it - Sainsbury's car park in Gloucester!
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I saw a 1958 Ford Fairlane on Boxing Day. Unsurprisingly it was in very nice condition, but what was surprising was where I saw it - Sainsbury's car park in Gloucester!
Living classy Mr P, Sainsburys in Glaaaaaaaarster.

How was the old city?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 5:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
Living classy Mr P, Sainsburys in Glaaaaaaaarster.

How was the old city?
A beacon of class and culture, as always.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

A beacon of class and culture, as always.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You think you can just wander in here and start posting on the thread you created without telling us where you've been ... well, I guess you've been in Gloucester ... don't they have internet there ...?
Old Jan 8th 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You think you can just wander in here and start posting on the thread you created ….
Well yeah, actually!

…. well, I guess you've been in Gloucester ... don't they have internet there ...?
Yes, but it's not very good, or at least my mother's wifi isn't

In other news, my 2003 Accord has continued to be totally reliable. I have just racked up 10,000 miles on the new set of boots I put on it in the summer - the previous set being life-expired with 102,000 miles on them (and 342,000 on the car). I had it serviced shortly before Christmas, and wondered what they would say about the brake pads, but the inspection report came back with the 50%-20% remaining box ticked, so the pads are still going to be OK for a while despite having already done 270,000 miles. Similarly the clutch is still doing OK too, despite being original to the vehicle, meaning 352,000 miles and counting! …… I wish Michael was still posting as he tried to tell me that clutches were consumable items that didn't last more than 30,000 miles!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 8th 2019 at 3:16 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

The markonline1 household upgraded their fleet just before Christmas. I traded in my 2006 mustang..... for a new mustang. Decided to buy the wrong engine again, and plump for the Ecoboost. It’s a daily driver, and with the low down torque of the turbo, it feels faster and way more fun than the V8 in daily driving. That said, it sounds shite, and every time a V8 passed, a little part of me cries inside. What a car though. I have never been in a car where a newer model has had such a huge transformation over an older model. The interior, the handling, the engine, all huge improvements. Didn’t have a great dealer experience after they extended my loan during negotiations to get my payments down, without telling me. That’ll teach me not to read before signing I guess.
The wife also decided to upgrade the Forester. She wanted a 3 row SUV, and after testing the Explorer, Atlas and Ascent, she plumped for the Mazda CX-9. The others drove like the tanks they are. The CX-9 feels remarkably lively for such a large car.
Depresingly, the wife had to give to her beloved manual gearbox, and even in a car like the Mustang, I had to make compromises to make sure I got a stick. When I come to buy a new car in another 6 or 7 years, I’d there is anything out there with a manual box, I’ll be amazed!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2019, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
The markonline1 household upgraded their fleet just before Christmas. I traded in my 2006 mustang..... for a new mustang. Decided to buy the wrong engine again, and plump for the Ecoboost. It’s a daily driver, and with the low down torque of the turbo, it feels faster and way more fun than the V8 in daily driving. That said, it sounds shite, and every time a V8 passed, a little part of me cries inside. What a car though. I have never been in a car where a newer model has had such a huge transformation over an older model. The interior, the handling, the engine, all huge improvements. Didn’t have a great dealer experience after they extended my loan during negotiations to get my payments down, without telling me. That’ll teach me not to read before signing I guess.
The wife also decided to upgrade the Forester. She wanted a 3 row SUV, and after testing the Explorer, Atlas and Ascent, she plumped for the Mazda CX-9. The others drove like the tanks they are. The CX-9 feels remarkably lively for such a large car.
Depresingly, the wife had to give to her beloved manual gearbox, and even in a car like the Mustang, I had to make compromises to make sure I got a stick. When I come to buy a new car in another 6 or 7 years, I’d there is anything out there with a manual box, I’ll be amazed!!!!

​​​​New manual in six or seven years, forget the option to change gear when you like, you'll be lucky if it comes with a steering wheel as standard!!!
Old Jan 14th 2019, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice on car buying?

Looking to buy a new car, hopefully a Veloster (I test drove it, I like it!), but I'm confused by the numbers dealerships keeps throwing around, what do I need to ask or say, etc? Also, found one dealership selling a premium for 19k, well below invoice, which means they're selling at a loss from my understanding. How does that work for the dealership?
Old Jan 14th 2019, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maste
Any advice on car buying?

Looking to buy a new car, hopefully a Veloster (I test drove it, I like it!), but I'm confused by the numbers dealerships keeps throwing around, what do I need to ask or say, etc? Also, found one dealership selling a premium for 19k, well below invoice, which means they're selling at a loss from my understanding. How does that work for the dealership?
Perhaps the manufacturer offloaded last years models at discount, or the dealer buys in bulk and gets discounts, or the kickbacks on credit are worth it, or the commission for the sale of useless GAP and warranty 'products', or a combination of all the above. Not forgetting to add to the sale figure the non-negotiable $800 bucks for pinstriping. One thing that you can guarantee is that they won't be selling at a loss!!

Edit: Not to forget that they may just be getting by selling rock bottom to compete with the likes of Ford who are jettisoning all their sedans in favour of the truck and SUV market.

Last edited by zzrmark; Jan 14th 2019 at 10:32 am.
Old Jan 14th 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Perhaps the manufacturer offloaded last years models at discount, or the dealer buys in bulk and gets discounts, or the kickbacks on credit are worth it, or the commission for the sale of useless GAP and warranty 'products', or a combination of all the above. Not forgetting to add to the sale figure the non-negotiable $800 bucks for pinstriping. One thing that you can guarantee is that they won't be selling at a loss!!

Edit: Not to forget that they may just be getting by selling rock bottom to compete with the likes of Ford who are jettisoning all their sedans in favour of the truck and SUV market.
What Zzrmark said - the "invoice price" is pretty meaningless as dealers get volume credits as well as "incentive" credits to push certain models.

In my relatively limited experience dealers may be much more flexible if the specific care has been in "inventory" for a long time - the dealer's web site may give that info. In our case, the Accord coupé we bought nearly two years ago had a manual transmission, and had been in inventory for over 360 days - we got it at a steal, paying only about $1,000 more than the Accord saloon we bought 14 years earlier. The irony, no doubt lost on the dealer, was that we actually wanted a car with manual transmission!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.