Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 30th 2018, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I saw rumours a while ago they were planning on dumping the 5.0L from the Mustang line-up.
That’s difficult to believe that Ford would ever drop the V8 from the Mustang. Where did you hear that? I was reading recently that even in the UK, the V8 is outselling the 4cyl turbo. I agree with Pulaski, if they did drop the V8, the mustang’s days would probably be numbered. It would possibly be one of the worst decisions by a car manufacturer ever IMO.

As for the Ranger, I spent a lot of my working life at Heathrow in one. Our ops vehicles were Rangers. With my current job, I’m starting to get the whole truck thing, but the new ranger would have to be considerably better than the old
model to consider it as a daily driver. The old model was extremely agricultural.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone wants a diesel Cummins Repower offers the 2.8 turbo diesel new in the crate with all ancillaries for $8999.
It is supposedly a great engine used all over the world, a friend is fitting one to a Defender right now and the Jeep people are using it.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
That’s difficult to believe that Ford would ever drop the V8 from the Mustang. Where did you hear that? I was reading recently that even in the UK, the V8 is outselling the 4cyl turbo. I agree with Pulaski, if they did drop the V8, the mustang’s days would probably be numbered. It would possibly be one of the worst decisions by a car manufacturer ever IMO.
I don't think it's all that difficult to believe. Ford has made a long-term commitment to smaller displacement Ecoboost drivetrain.

I believe that further development of the quad cam 'Coyote' V8 motor is limited and very expensive to remain inside the CAFE mandate of each new iteration being more fuel efficient than it's predecessor.

I think it fair to assume that F150 Raptor is already a product of that issue - no V8 - not even an option and Coyote de-tuned and equipped with direct injection in lesser models to satisfy CAFE.

Interestingly, Ford's performance halo product, the rather incredible GT has a 6 cyl Ecoboost engine, when it could very easily been designed around an 8 cyl powertrain.

I don't think there will be no V8 Mustang option - but I do suspect it will be a very limited production, very expensive and exclusive GT30/350R with their stellar "Voodoo" DI engine.

I think the more mainstream GT will have 6 cyl Ecoboost and 10sp trans much sooner than later (i.e. within the next couple of model/years).

Nor do I feel that a lack of V8 will kill the brand - perceptions change with time - the V6 will be faster, more tunable and more fuel efficient. Who would have believed that Corvette would abandon front engine/rear drive platform, but they have in the C8.

One of my main motivators in buying my Challenger was that I am pretty convinced that the days of walking into a dealer and buying a big capacity hemi V8 that easily cranks out more than 500hp with some minor add-ons - at the expense of 15mpg are numbered...
Old Jan 30th 2018, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like Ford dropping the V8 would be like German cars suddenly becoming as unreliable as French cars, won't ever happen.

Took the truck down to the sand dunes yesterday, was a pretty hefty drive and got back about 1am this morning. Friend of mine took some fancy photos on his DSLR so hopefully should have those in a few days. Truck definitely isn't clean anymore

Mine has a 3.6 V6 with the VVT and it's plenty quick enough and the low down torque feels fantastic. Happy with my spontaneous purchase, even if my wife isn't so happy with it
Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I think it fair to assume that F150 Raptor is already a product of that issue - no V8 - not even an option and Coyote de-tuned and equipped with direct injection in lesser models to satisfy CAFE. ....
Ahem! ..... Looks like Ford have tacitly admitted that the 2018 Raptor decision was a mistake.

Also note, (same article) that Ford are investing in a NEW V8, which would suggest that they believe that there is a future for V8 motors, though I suspect that it might, in part, be a replacement for the V10 that goes into the larger F-series trucks.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 31st 2018 at 1:26 am.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to read they believe there's a future for the V8! V12 and V10 has slowly started dying off, glad to see they'll still be a great big dirty V8 out there somewhere!

Also, have any of you truck owners used LineX for bed protection? Trying to find a rugged plastic liner for the bed, the only one I can find for a 2018 6'2 bed is Chevrolet's own which is $300... For that price I'd rather have the bed LineX'd!
Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Interesting to read they believe there's a future for the V8! V12 and V10 has slowly started dying off, glad to see they'll still be a great big dirty V8 out there somewhere!

Also, have any of you truck owners used LineX for bed protection? Trying to find a rugged plastic liner for the bed, the only one I can find for a 2018 6'2 bed is Chevrolet's own which is $300... For that price I'd rather have the bed LineX'd!
I had my truck LineX'ed a few days after I bought it, and fifteen years later I know, 100% it was the right decision and I wouldn't own a truck without it (at least not a truck used for anything other than showing/ posing).

I have used my truck for hauling many things from gravel, sand, manure and mulch to upholstered furniture, and just about everything imaginable in between - plywood, firewood, logs, drywall, timber, tools and equipment, mowers including my ride-on when we moved down from Virginia, doors, domestic appliances, sacks of leaves, scrap metal, trash heading for the landfill, hardwood flooring, among many other things, and in all cases the LineX lining protected the bed and did no harm to the load. I would recommend the LineX product without reservation!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 31st 2018 at 1:28 am.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I had my truck LineX'ed a few days after I bought it, and fifteen years later I know, 100% it was the right decision and I wouldn't own a truck without it (at least not a truck used for anything other than showing/ posing).

I have used my truck for hauling many things from gravel, sand, manure and mulch to upholstered furniture, and just about everything imaginable in between - plywood, firewood, logs, drywall, timber, tools and equipment, mowers including my ride-on when we moved down from Virginia, doors, domestic appliances, sacks of leaves, scrap metal, trash heading for the landfill, hardwood flooring, among many other things, and in all cases the LineX lining protected the bed and did no harm to the load. I would recommend the LineX product without reservation!
Damn, hard to turn my nose up it now after reading that and spending the last hour watching YouTube videos trying to break it

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. I'm assuming 15 years ago the price would be pretty different but it'd still be nice to get an idea!
Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:39 am

Damn, hard to turn my nose up it now after reading that and spending the last hour watching YouTube videos trying to break it. .....

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. I'm assuming 15 years ago the price would be pretty different but it'd still be nice to get an idea! ....
Honestly I don't remember - I would guess in the low $'00's range, maybe around $250.

Today I would say that I should have been happy even if I had paid twice as much!

BTW if you still need to be persuaded, take a look at this video re the damage that grit and moisture can do trapped under a rigid bed-liner:

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 31st 2018 at 2:03 am.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Honestly I don't remember - I would guess in the low $'00's range, maybe around $250.

Today I would say that I should have been happy even if I had paid twice as much!

BTW if you still need to be persuaded, take a look at this video re the damage that trapped grit and moisture can do:

https://youtu.be/RRbHERIyI_Y
That is absolutely insane!

Just looking now and we have a Line-X dealer/shop in Boulder and in Denver (I'm in between both so works out good!) and the Boulder shop has fantastic reviews so I've pinged off an email for a quote on the standard and the premium liner

Next on the wish list is a camper top, Leer do some very nice ones but the prices are a bit steep so that may have to wait until later on this year!
Old Jan 31st 2018, 2:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is absolutely insane!

Just looking now and we have a Line-X dealer/shop in Boulder and in Denver (I'm in between both so works out good!) and the Boulder shop has fantastic reviews so I've pinged off an email for a quote on the standard and the premium liner

Next on the wish list is a camper top, Leer do some very nice ones but the prices are a bit steep so that may have to wait until later on this year!
My truck has a sprayed in liner and has had a lot of abuse, the liner is probably the best bit on it.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:47 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My truck has a sprayed in liner and has had a lot of abuse, the liner is probably the best bit on it.
Maybe you can get the rest of the truck done in the same stuff.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

A friend in Ford Development told me the V10 was produced as Dodge had one in the Viper and truck, it is a "modular" engine so adding two cylinders to a V8 was relatively easy.
The Ford diesels have had issues since the 7.3 was dropped, the 6.0 had endless issues, the 6.4 "twin turbo" was very expensive to repair, the new 6.7 engine so far has had relatively few issues.
The three valve V8 engines have an issue with breaking spark plugs as they weld into the head and a special tool is needed to remove the pieces. Worst case is the head is damaged, a friend recently had to put in a recon engine in his F350 as the heads were beyond repair.

Last edited by ottotheboar; Jan 31st 2018 at 12:19 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Got a quote back from LineX this morning.

$550 for the standard liner or $769 for the premium with UV protection.

Bloody hope that includes tax
Old Jan 31st 2018, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Got a quote back from LineX this morning.

$550 for the standard liner or $769 for the premium with UV protection.

Bloody hope that includes tax
Go with the UV

Probably not, this is America.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.