Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Bob
What did you think of it? Rear wheel or all wheel drive?
RWD

Very nice car to drive, plenty of room for a 6'4er

Plenty of grunt

Would I buy another? Only if it was the IS-F

We have an RX350 now, which I like less, not mad keen on SUV's
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
BMW has a factory in the US, so four of them might be American
Two of them, and only if the 3-series models were 1994-96! Otherwise, the only other cars to be made in the US are the Z3 (1995-2002) and Z4 (2003-2008) and X3, X4, X5 and X6 model SUVs.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Has anyone else noticed that Ford fullsize trucks that are several years old have a warped frame, such that the driver's side leans right of center line.
That sounds more like a Democrat joke.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, nice to see you again, how have you been?

Secondly, that's a shitter, losing a nice car like that. I'll never have that problem, M5s are knocking on the door of $100K. My house is barely worth more than that
I'm OK thanks, finally getting the whole Christmas thing out of the way...

M5s fetch ridiculous prices these days, don't they? No chance of me having anything like it again ( but some second hand 540is look to be coming down in price like a waxed anvil.)
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx

M5s fetch ridiculous prices these days, don't they? No chance of me having anything like it again ( but some second hand 540is look to be coming down in price like a waxed anvil.)
You can get a 6-8 year old M5 for around $25,000-$30,000 over here.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx

Good to hear you're OK.

The M5 is just one of those cars to add to my will never have list, along with the DBS and select Lambos

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can get a 6-8 year old M5 for around $25,000-$30,000 over here.
I wonder if that would be worth it though. I've heard BMWs aren't the most reliable and parts are an arm and a leg to replace.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I wonder if that would be worth it though. I've heard BMWs aren't the most reliable and parts are an arm and a leg to replace.
I would be a bit of a gamble, as it is possible that some repairs could cost about as much as the car is worth. Of course any used car is a gamble, but I am not sure I will ever have that sort of money to throw at a car that I could potentially lose due to one failed computer module.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I would be a bit of a gamble, as it is possible that some repairs could cost about as much as the car is worth. Of course any used car is a gamble, but I am not sure I will ever have that sort of money to throw at a car that I could potentially lose due to one failed computer module.
Yeah, if I'm throwing $35K at a car (since my plebmobile was only worth $22 ), I'm getting a new one. Back when they made them, I'd probably have been willing to squeeze out the extra on an Evo.

My wife would probably spunk that money on an SUV though
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:49 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard BMWs aren't the most reliable and parts are an arm and a leg to replace.
I am not sure I will ever have that sort of money to throw at a car that I could potentially lose due to one failed computer module.
New Battery in my Cooper (BMW) last week. By the time all the on-board stuff was set / calibrated the bill was $480.00

Free to me, thankfully.

New brakes next Tuesday. Expected bill, $900-ish.

(Again, free to me or I would be considerably less relaxed about it ).
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:52 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
New Battery in my Cooper (BMW) last week. By the time all the on-board stuff was set / calibrated the bill was $480.00

Free to me, thankfully.

New brakes next Tuesday. Expected bill, $900-ish.

(Again, free to me or I would be considerably less relaxed about it ).
$900.00 for brakes? Used to cost me about $289.00 all in for a set in my old car. Don't know what it would be for this one because I haven't had a set go yet and also I have the extended warranty that gives me free repairs every year.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
.... New brakes next Tuesday. Expected bill, $900-ish. .....
I don't recall what I paid for the last brake job on our Accord, but it was a fraction of $900 for sure! ..... The reason I don't recall has a lot to do with it being 220,000 miles ago.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced my own on my F150, less than $100.

I was told on a new F150 it wasa grand to replace the spark plugs? Individual coils?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:59 pm
I have a comma problem

I don't recall what I paid for the last brake job on our Accord, but it was a fraction of $900 for sure! ..... The reason I don't recall has a lot to do with it being 220,000 miles ago.
That car's going to hit a million, isn't it?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:04 pm

That car's going to hit a million, isn't it?
I doubt it. Almost all of that mileage is commuting and I am not planning on working long enough to hit 1,000,000 miles.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Rickyk is on a distinguished road

I have never owned a muscle car, always gone for the European or Japanese sports cars, had 911's for the last 8 years.
This week I decided to go crazy so went and ordered a Dodge Challenger Hellcat, 707hp will be fun! Delivery is 8-12 weeks so hopefully we get an early spring and the snow is gone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.