Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 17th 2014, 7:55 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That might be true in a city center context, but this was debated on another thread recently when the conclusion was that diesel is very widely available, but either not at every pump, or sometimes set off at a pump on its own, often not under the main canopy. Those posters who knew how to spot a diesel pump reported that the large majority of gas stations now sell diesel. If in doubt, go to gasbuddy.com and look for stations selling diesel in or near your zipcode.
It's definitely a location thing.

Out where I am, not to many places have it except the big branded stations.

Out where the in-laws live, only agricultural supply is available and even that's limited. It's just not sold year round if at all.

There's a reason a lot of the log trucks and equipment out there are petrol machines :/

It certainly is easier to find compared to even 5 years ago though in general.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonion

So far I've not mastered welding (nor can I cos of eye condition) or medical surgery (but willing to give it a go) :-)
It's a piece of piss. If I can get certified anyone can.

Possibly one of the only useful things out of doing design faffery at uni, was needing to get certified in metal/wood/plastics workshop stuff.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a piece of piss. If I can get certified anyone can.

Possibly one of the only useful things out of doing design faffery at uni, was needing to get certified in metal/wood/plastics workshop stuff.

I think you missed the important bit Bob, this "(nor can I cos of eye condition)" , I can weld, I find it pretty easy when I've had to do it. But I don't class that as mastering it (even though I taught it at Tech College), particularly when my best mate was an expert at it so I just made the holes, he filled them in
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jonion
I think you missed the important bit Bob, this "(nor can I cos of eye condition)" , I can weld, I find it pretty easy when I've had to do it. But I don't class that as mastering it (even though I taught it at Tech College), particularly when my best mate was an expert at it so I just made the holes, he filled them in
You should have seen some of the folks that welded at that car place I did a stint at...blind as a bat but somehow managed it.

Then again, we were tucked well away so health and safety was less of a concern
Old Apr 17th 2014, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond reputeJonion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You should have seen some of the folks that welded at that car place I did a stint at...blind as a bat but somehow managed it.

Then again, we were tucked well away so health and safety was less of a concern
I've seen some pigeon shit welding in my time trust me.
But mine isn't because I can't see to do it, it's because it would cause me to not be able to see afterwards. And I don't feel like giving up my sight to stick some metal together.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:36 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Started the clutch job and found a good reason for noise and vibration - the tail was not bolted to the trans mount. Both bolts were missing. I am lucky I didn't have a catastrophic failure.

Also burned the plastic locking out of the ujoints. Even being warned, when the first one 'popped' I still jumped ten feet

Pete
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:52 pm
Mions' a point.

I'd drive this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4427904227.html

No aff etc. Shouldn't it have a tire on the bonnet? Is that what that is, an attachment?

Pete
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:06 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
I'd drive this:

http://images.craigslist.org/00o0o_a...xA_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/01414_b...NX_600x450.jpg

No aff etc. Shouldn't it have a tire on the bonnet? Is that what that is, an attachment?

Pete
I think it should have a tire, it looks like the mount for it is there already.

Oh and I would definitely love to have this in my driveway. Don't make 'em like they used to!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, the spare wheel usually sits on the bonnet.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Headlight went out yesterday.

Local Autozone had a deal on for the slightly better bulbs, plus they put them in free for you...so well worth it.

Thing is, the old dead bulb, blew...chap managed to get most of it out but there might still be some debris left. Can't take the light housing out without taking the whole front grill section off.

Had to take the air intake hose off to get to the passenger side bulb housing too.

Got to love those little banana clip jobbies. They're so much fun. I'm glad he did it, as I scuffed my knuckles up pretty bad doing the drivers side a month or so back when I changed it. Had him replace this bulb too though so they'd match.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank
I'd drive this:

http://images.craigslist.org/00o0o_a...xA_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/01414_b...NX_600x450.jpg

Pete
I'm guessing the handbrake doesn't work then?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

To continue from over in the Pet Peeves thread, #5018 et seq, I finally got the new tyres installed on the Mustang yesterday. I decided to go with the Pirelli P Zero Nero's from Discount Tire as they were not charging the extra $9/tyre that the Ford dealer wanted for "freight". I ponied up an extra 10% for the repair/ replacement warranty.

It has rained almost continuously since I picked it them up, but in the five miles or so I drove before it started raining they seem to have good grip, and be much quieter than the Goodyears that came off. They also drive nicely in the rain.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 19th 2014 at 7:40 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
To continue from over in the Pet Peeves thread, #5018 et seq, I finally got the new tyres installed on the Mustang yesterday. I decided to go with the Pirelli P Zero Nero's from Discount Tire as they were not charging the extra $9/tyre that the Ford dealer wanted. I ponied up an extra 10% for the repair/ replacement warranty.

It has rained almost continuously since I picked it them up, but in the five miles or so I drove before it started raining they seem to have good grip, and be much quieter than the Goodyears that came off. They also drive nicely in the rain.
Pirelli makes a good tire.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The P Zero Neros aren't bad tyres.
Not keen on their accent but hey, just keep 'em squealing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.