Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Kitten-garten - don't laugh !

Kitten-garten - don't laugh !

Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:26 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kitten-garten - don't laugh !

If its the difference between finding a home for a cat or euthanizing it, its a tough choice

Originally Posted by TruBrit
that is quite barbaric besides being totally unnecessary
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
It is cruel, it is in effect removing a digit (like us having the end of our fingers removed!). Its common here. The wife was taught it at school and did her first one herself in surgery just last week.
Our two septic cats are done (front only), the cat I brought from the UK isn't.
how sad, very sad although part and parcel of her job i suspect it's not something i'd promote.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:33 pm

Its not all glamour and fun. Some of the decisions her clients face are based solely on finances. Animals put to sleep as its cheaper than the medical bill required to put them back to good health.
You would be amazed how cruel some people will be. The emergency ward has periods of quiet during big sporting occasions, then a rush after they have finished. The 'emergency' case only becoming important once the match was over, sad, very sad indeed . . .

Although still cruel, if done early enough a declawing has no lasting effect on the kitten and they recover very quickly. They have the same traits and both ours 'scratch' furniture with non existant claws. Back claws are left for defense, and to aid tree climbing.

how sad, very sad although part and parcel of her job i suspect it's not something i'd promote.

Last edited by Pony; Jan 29th 2007 at 8:35 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:41 pm

http://www.fatcatflats.com/
http://www.findpetcare.com/se/cat-daycare-houston.htm
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

Its not all glamour and fun. Some of the decisions her clients face are based solely on finances. Animals put to sleep as its cheaper than the medical bill required to put them back to good health.
You would be amazed how cruel some people will be. The emergency ward has periods of quiet during big sporting occasions, then a rush after they have finished. The 'emergency' case only becoming important once the match was over, sad, very sad indeed . . .

Although still cruel, if done early enough a declawing has no lasting effect on the kitten and they recover very quickly. They have the same traits and both ours 'scratch' furniture with non existant claws. Back claws are left for defense, and to aid tree climbing.

i wouldn't think any part of your wife's job is glamourous or fun tbh. i can't stand animal cruelty in any shape or form and yes i am aware of the cruelty out there and yes declawing imo is cruel.....
http://www.theanimalspirit.com/declaw.html
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:55 pm

As pet owners we domesticated cats and removed them from their natural environment, this is just another form of domestication.
Here is the AVMA's* stance on this subject
http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/an.../declawing.asp
I would not choose to have a cat declawed (as my own cat still isnt), unless it became a problem.
The article you linked to was emotive rather than informed.
The AVMA state "Scientific data do indicate that cats that have destructive clawing behavior are more likely to be euthanatized, or more readily relinquished, released, or abandoned, thereby contributing to the homeless cat population". It is sad, but sadly true.

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), established in 1863, is a not-for-profit association representing more than 75,000 veterinarians working in private and corporate practice, government, industry, academia, and uniformed services. Structured to work for its members, the AVMA acts as a collective voice for its membership and for the profession.

i wouldn't think any part of your wife's job is glamourous or fun tbh. i can't stand animal cruelty in any shape or form and yes i am aware of the cruelty out there and yes declawing imo is cruel.....
http://www.theanimalspirit.com/declaw.html
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The AVMA state "Scientific data do indicate that cats that have destructive clawing behavior are more likely to be euthanatized, or more readily relinquished, released, or abandoned, thereby contributing to the homeless cat population". It is sad, but sadly true.
Define "destructive clawing behaviour." ALL cats will cause damage to objects in the home due to scratching. Does that mean they should all be declawed? Okay, if a cat is reducing a piece of furniture to tatters in 24 hours then I guess I could see a point, but my SIL simply doesn't want even ONE scratch on ANYTHING. That's a highly unrealistic expectation that can only be achieved by declawing. Their dogs are more destructive than the cats as the dogs can reduce an object to rubble in a few minutes with their teeth. And they've done this to various articles of clothing and toys -- just not the furniture. Should dogs like this have all their teeth removed?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Define "destructive clawing behaviour." ALL cats will cause damage to objects in the home due to scratching. Does that mean they should all be declawed? Okay, if a cat is reducing a piece of furniture to tatters in 24 hours then I guess I could see a point, but my SIL simply doesn't want even ONE scratch on ANYTHING. That's a highly unrealistic expectation that can only be achieved by declawing. Their dogs are more destructive than the cats as the dogs can reduce an object to rubble in a few minutes with their teeth. And they've done this to various articles of clothing and toys -- just not the furniture. Should dogs like this have all their teeth removed?
simple ...your sil can be achieve it by not owning a cat
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:07 pm

Destructive clawing behaviour should be defined by the cats owner and not you and I. If the owner believes the cat is destructive, then to the owner that is just what the cat is. For some people that could be the odd scratch, to others it is constant scratching. If your SIL's cat was not declawed, would she still own one. If not then you have only re-inforced the AVMA's statement.

In all fairness it is easier to teach a dog not to chew, I have yet to find a cat that answers to "no kittie, bad kittie".

A declawed cat does not know it is declawed. It does not 'miss' something.
What is your stance on spaying and neutering?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:19 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

simple ...your sil can be achieve it by not owning a cat
Right.

So the fundamental statement is whether or not it's best to put a cat to sleep because a picky owner won't own a declawed cat, or declaw the cat and thus the picky owners will make more homes available for cats.

It is rather amazing that we expect a cat (an animal) to learn how to cope without its claws, but we cannot educate picky humans on just how detrimental this practice is and can they please tolerate a few scratches?

I can't wait until my niece is old enough to do serious damage to the house. I swear I have urges to give her permanent markers.... because you simply cannot have pets and children and expect that your prized possessions will stay pristine.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:21 pm
Lapine Member

In all fairness it is easier to teach a dog not to chew, I have yet to find a cat that answers to "no kittie, bad kittie".
They accept that the dog chewing is "inevitable" and while the dogs get scolded, they still do it (destroy things). It's just that they don't start in on the furniture, which is my SIL's biggest issue.

Go figure. I've had them literally eat two TiVo remotes and my daughter's bathing suit along with the usual socks, shoes, and stuffed animals.

Does that sound like well-trained dogs? "Oh but they are bored...."
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:25 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

It seems to be acceptable to declaw cats in the U.S., but if I'm not mistaken, I believe it is illegal in the U.K. I know that some landlords over here insist that owners get their cats declawed before they will accept a cat living in the house/apartment, etc., and that people tend to be encouraged to keep their cats indoors (to protect the birds and protect the cats from disease, poison, and other animals such as raccoons). By contrast, when we lived in the UK and Belgium, cats were indoor/outdoor pets and were not confined to the house.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neathborn
It seems to be acceptable to declaw cats in the U.S., but if I'm not mistaken, I believe it is illegal in the U.K. I know that some landlords over here insist that owners get their cats declawed before they will accept a cat living in the house/apartment, etc., and that people tend to be encouraged to keep their cats indoors (to protect the birds and protect the cats from disease, poison, and other animals such as raccoons). By contrast, when we lived in the UK and Belgium, cats were indoor/outdoor pets and were not confined to the house.
I don't let my dogs run on the grass because of deer ticks.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

elaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond repute

I volunteer for a local no kill/non profit cat rescue center in Manhattan...we do not adopt kittens out on their own mainly for the reasons everyone else have mentioned...they get bored which leads to distructive behaviour, litter box avoidance, etc etc ...get another one...if you are 'committing' to one what's the difference...also re the de-clawing comments you may want to look at our website which lists the REAL reasons why you shouldn't declaw other than it being totally f**g disgusting...http://www.anjelliclecats.com/ ...this is a non profit website so hopefully the big guys wont pull this link. ..any donations.....
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:39 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't let my dogs run on the grass because of deer ticks.
Not to mention the threats that having more cars around poses.... or the higher incidence of rabies and other communicable diseases.

The numbers speak: the life expectancy of an indoor-outdoor cat is significantly lower than that of an indoor-only cat, something like 7 years vs 15 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.