Wikiposts

Killing Mosquitos

Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Killing Mosquitos

Received this e-mail this evening. Don't know if it works, but I'm game on trying it and will report back.

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well.. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on.OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors.
It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it
cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not
as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes.
So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood
door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.

Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Killing Mosquitos

Here is what Snopes has to say:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/mosquitoes.asp

I tried to copy and paste part of it, it wouldn't work. Basically, it said "FALSE" to both Lemon Joy Dishsoap and Listerine.

Sorry. I use Avon's Skin So Soft (regular green) for my summer mosquito repellent.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:54 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl

I tried to copy and paste part of it, it wouldn't work. Basically, it said "FALSE" to both Lemon Joy Dishsoap and Listerine.

Sorry. I use Avon's Skin So Soft (regular green) for my summer mosquito repellent.
Bummer. Guess I'll have to stick to putting a lighter in front of a tin of WD40 then.

OTOH, I have read that aspartame is highly toxic to ants....
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl

From a couple of years ago, but here's what snopes has to say about Avon's Skin so Soft!

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

If the green pool behind the vacant house next door was cleaned I know my mosquito problem would go down.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by bevinva
If the green pool behind the vacant house next door was cleaned I know my mosquito problem would go down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Mosquitoes. If there is a god, here's proof that he hates us.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Stockton
Mosquitoes. If there is a god, here's proof that he hates us.
You're a bit close to nicking one of my lines there. It's not unheard of for me, after listening to more whining than I can stand, to wait for a question and reply "Because God hates you."
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
From a couple of years ago, but here's what snopes has to say about Avon's Skin so Soft!

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp
Touche! Perhaps I am a lucky one that has blood that mosquitoes don't like, but I've been using the lotion (not oil) since high school and on and worked outside almost exclusively for 10-15 years before I graduated to an indoor desk job. Always did the job for me. I still use it when I plan on being outdoors for any length of time. Avon has been selling sun screen and "repellent" types of their Skin So Soft for years now, but I haven't tried any of them. I figure, why mess with success.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:08 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Put some oil in there (engine will work and is cheap) -- just enough to cover the whole surface. Probably a job for the kids.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:29 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
just smoke a cigar... that'll make ém disappear imo.

that's becoming a huge problem with bank owned properties... big festing moz breeding grounds.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Originally Posted by fatbrit
Put some oil in there (engine will work and is cheap) -- just enough to cover the whole surface. Probably a job for the kids.
Originally Posted by Tarkak9
just smoke a cigar... that'll make ém disappear imo.

that's becoming a huge problem with bank owned properties... big festing moz breeding grounds.
A couple of interesting suggestions. We have got the city to come and put some bug killing discs in there but they don't come as often as really needed.

This house is not owned by the bank, it's a wierd situation, the mortgage on the house is about $80,000 more than the going price ever should have been. A few weeks a year there is a for rent sign out but they want too much rent for the area. It's been empty for over a year.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:52 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

OTOH, I have read that aspartame is highly toxic to ants....
And humans...
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Received this e-mail this evening. Don't know if it works, but I'm game on trying it and will report back.

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well.. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on.OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors.
It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it
cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not
as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes.
So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood
door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.

just be careful that PETA doesn't find out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.