Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Kettles (stove-top or electric)

Kettles (stove-top or electric)

Old Jan 17th 2018, 7:47 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kettles (stove-top or electric)

Last night, I put the kettle on the stove to make some tea for my wife. Cranked up the burner to high and went to the bathroom.

Only, the kettle - which I've had for three of four years - is an electric kettle.
It has a separate base that provides power to boil the kettle.

As the plastic bottom of the kettle melted, dense plumes of acrid smoke filled the house. It was a literal Victorian pea-souper. I grabbed the kettle and took it into the garden, splashing molten plastic all over my shoes, the kitchen and the floor.

It took three hours with all the windows and doors open to try and vent it all out. And it was about 15 degrees F last night. Wife was furious. Poor Octang spent night on couch.

I am setting up a gofunme to replace the kettle and to pay for treatment of toxic smoke inhalation. My target is $45. Maybe another $65 to replace sneakers and $10 for some flowers for the wife. Please British Expat-ers, donate here. Octang Kettle Relief Fund. The need is real. Please help save my marriage. Give generously and give often.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Jan 17th 2018 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 8:37 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kettles (stove-top or electric)

Okay, people. We're still at $0. Let's open those virtual wallets and get the ball rolling.
Who's going to put down the first Benjamin? Leslie? Lion in Winter? Step right up. You'll feel good about helping the entitled in need. Pollyanna? Lansbury - I know you've got some moolah with that police pension. Pulaski? Surely you're good for a five spot?
If you call in now, for the next 20 minutes, I'll match your donation.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a 20% off BB&B coupon. Sorry, can't help with the shoes, flowers or smoke inhalation treatment. Have to state the obvious, that it was a pretty dumbass thing to do.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 8:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My mother did that - put the electric kettle on the stove. At the time, she was at least five years into her dementia, and two years later she died.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:24 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by joto
Get yourself a 20% off BB&B coupon. Sorry, can't help with the shoes, flowers or smoke inhalation treatment. Have to state the obvious, that it was a pretty dumbass thing to do.
Lack of sleep. Plus I've been reheating a lot of pho. For the wife. She's a pho fiend.

Joto, I don't mean to speak out of turn or upset you, but you shouldn't just give to receive.
That's the vibe I'm getting from you. No offense. I could be wrong. It's happened before.
In Basingstoke, 1994.

I just think it would be good for your inner soul to make this charitable, selfless gift to a person very much desperately in need.
What say you?

Last edited by Octang Frye; Jan 17th 2018 at 9:28 pm.
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
My mother did that - put the electric kettle on the stove. At the time, she was at least five years into her dementia, and two years later she died.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's pointless to donate to somebody who will be dead within two years. Does gofundme do money-back-guarantees if the tragedy victim dies too soon?
Peace onion

Originally Posted by robin1234
Oh my. I don't want to die yet. I'm only 44.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:27 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Oh my. I don't want to die yet. I'm only 44.
Well you should have thought of that before you went and got dementia and started setting everything on fire.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Last night, I put the kettle on the stove to make some tea for my wife. Cranked up the burner to high and went to the bathroom.

Only, the kettle - which I've had for three of four years - is an electric kettle.
It has a separate base that provides power to boil the kettle.

As the plastic bottom of the kettle melted, dense plumes of acrid smoke filled the house. It was a literal Victorian pea-souper. I grabbed the kettle and took it into the garden, splashing molten plastic all over my shoes, the kitchen and the floor.

It took three hours with all the windows and doors open to try and vent it all out. And it was about 15 degrees F last night. Wife was furious. Poor Octang spent night on couch.

I am setting up a gofunme to replace the kettle and to pay for treatment of toxic smoke inhalation. My target is $45. Maybe another $65 to replace sneakers and $10 for some flowers for the wife. Please British Expat-ers, donate here. Octang Kettle Relief Fund. The need is real. Please help save my marriage. Give generously and give often.
If you had called 911 and your wife had been rescued by a hunky fireman your being in the dog-house would be solved.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 12:25 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

This would never have happened if Obama had been given a third term.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 12:37 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Leslie
Well you should have thought of that before you went and got dementia and started setting everything on fire.
To the person who, via karma, inquired if that I had perhaps misplaced this statement and meant to put it in a Trump thread ------> Well spotted.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This would never have happened if Obama had been given a third term.
It was everything I could do to not immediately blame Trump.