British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Kettles (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/kettles-489154/)

MsElui Oct 23rd 2007 11:07 am

Kettles

obviously being a brit - i drink tea! Having just moved to Ohio im not seeing many electric kettles in the stores (just plenty of coffee makers). Anyone know a store that stocks them?

fatbrit Oct 23rd 2007 11:10 am

Re: Kettles

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 5459728)
obviously being a brit - i drink tea! Having just moved to Ohio im not seeing many electric kettles in the stores (just plenty of coffee makers). Anyone know a store that stocks them?

There aren't many. But you'll find some in your local Target. BTW, you'll find they aren't as quick as you're used to because we only have play school electricity here.

dukeynorton Oct 23rd 2007 11:11 am

I have wondered the same thing! Your best bet is Amazon though I'm afraid.

jumping doris Oct 23rd 2007 11:12 am

We have a stove top kettle but you can pick up an electric one at Walmart, Kmart, target etc.
There isn't the range that there is in the UK, which is why we got the stove top one...there seemed to be a lot more choice.
But I just bought a cheapie electric one for my daughter in college and it's fine.

NC Penguin Oct 23rd 2007 11:13 am

Linen 'n' Things, Target, Wallyworld, department stores's home departments are the likely stores.

Bill_S Oct 23rd 2007 11:14 am

Have you checked a Bed, Bath and Beyond
yet? They appear to have plenty.

dukeynorton Oct 23rd 2007 11:17 am

Oh yeh nice one, didn't think of that! :thumbsup:

MsElui Oct 23rd 2007 11:41 am

what i would rely like is one of the brand new technology ones from tefal (or t-fal as they seem to be over here!) They are very energy efficient and can boil a cup ful of water in 30 seconds.

fatbrit Oct 23rd 2007 11:46 am

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 5459819)
what i would rely like is one of the brand new technology ones from tefal (or t-fal as they seem to be over here!) They are very energy efficient and can boil a cup ful of water in 30 seconds.

Not on American juice, they won't!

Paul S Oct 23rd 2007 12:53 pm

Walmart one (electric), leaked:ohmy:
Marshalls/TK Maxx (hob top), guess what it leaked:curse:
Target (electric), seems to still be working:rofl:

you'll find one just don't expect too much from it. The Target one actually has an automatic switch off, which seems to be an oddity over here. Most of the people I've asked about this tend to think that if the kettle boils dry and doesn't burst into flames that its probably okay:huh:

Titchski Oct 23rd 2007 1:10 pm

I got two from target, one for home, one for the office they work ok but as someone said, due to the Fisher Price electricity here, you'll boil a mug of water quicker on an EasyBake Oven :unsure:

Ash UK/US Oct 23rd 2007 3:38 pm

I bought mine (T-fal Vitesse) from Amazon. I like it... better than the crap I bought from Walmart.

Tracym Oct 23rd 2007 11:41 pm

OK, I have to be the curious yank here...

I like tea also, but have always used the old-fashioned - put it on the stove and it whistles when it's boiling teapot.

Why do you all prefer the electric one?

penguinsix Oct 23rd 2007 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5461369)

I like tea also, but have always used the old-fashioned - put it on the stove and it whistles when it's boiling teapot.

I'm with you with the boiling teapot, though I really can't stand tea (I get tons of it from family in China and it all is the same to me--boring).

But I'd imagine an electric kettle would be far easier to deal with day in and day out.

Titchski Oct 23rd 2007 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5461369)

Because I'm not allowed to have a cooker in the office? :p