British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Karma to Enterprise at Manchester Airport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/karma-enterprise-manchester-airport-925970/)

lansbury Jun 24th 2019 8:35 pm

Karma to Enterprise at Manchester Airport

I picked a rental up at Manchester this month and prepaid for a tank of diesel. When I dropped it off there was half a tank left, which was my loss. Just seen a refund on my credit card from Enterprise for half a tank of gas. Well impressed as they didn't have to do that.

BEVS Jun 24th 2019 9:18 pm

Re: Karma to Enterprise at Manchester Airport

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12702267)
I picked a rental up at Manchester this month and prepaid for a tank of diesel. When I dropped it off there was half a tank left, which was my loss. Just seen a refund on my credit card from Enterprise for half a tank of gas. Well impressed as they didn't have to do that.

I'm mighty impressed with that too. Fair play.

Giantaxe Jun 24th 2019 9:21 pm

The more interesting question is why prepay? Absent a rental company doing this - which, as you point out, they contractually don't have to - it's always going to be a win for the rental company. Ok, so I guess it saves a little bit of inconvenience in having to fill up near the airport, but in Manchester, at least, there's a gas station within 1/2 mile of the rental return location.

lansbury Jun 24th 2019 10:05 pm

The one on the airport and the other one nearby I knew of are closed with all the building work going on at the airport. There is a Shell on Styal Rd but with all the road changes I even got lost this time getting back to the car rental village, bugger trying to find an off airport petrol station.

Giantaxe Jun 24th 2019 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12702292)
The one on the airport and the other one nearby I knew of are closed with all the building work going on at the airport. There is a Shell on Styal Rd but with all the road changes I even got lost this time getting back to the car rental village, bugger trying to find an off airport petrol station.

I used the Shell on Styal Rd last month. Google says it's a 5 minute drive from the rental village.

The building work at the airport itself is an insane mess. As was checkin when I left Manchester for Iceland.

Dorothy Jun 24th 2019 11:22 pm

That's good to know. We're flying into Manchester in August and will be renting a car for 4 weeks. I'll book with Enterprise :)

dj6372 Jun 25th 2019 9:53 am

My go to car rental is Enterprise, both in US and UK, never had an issue, I'm back in the UK now driving a very nice Merc A180 auto , brand new, they didn't have the Focus I booked.......oh go on if that's all you have.

Steerpike Jun 27th 2019 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12702279)
The more interesting question is why prepay? Absent a rental company doing this - which, as you point out, they contractually don't have to - it's always going to be a win for the rental company. Ok, so I guess it saves a little bit of inconvenience in having to fill up near the airport, but in Manchester, at least, there's a gas station within 1/2 mile of the rental return location.

I'm with Lansbury on this one ... on my last trip (earlier this month) my plans changed at last minute and rather than staying near the airport as planned on my last night (my niece lives right there) I had to drive from a long way away, 'very early in the morning' (by my standards :) ). So I did not want the extra hassle/stress of finding gas! The area around the car rental village seems to have finally settled down, if you approach it from the east. The departure area was an utter zoo; something about a system failure in the baggage handling gear, so the very long line moved very slowly so I needed every extra minute I had!

But I'll use this thread to utterly trash Europecar. Three months after my car return from February visit, they charged me an extra $50 or so (showed on my April or May CC bill). When I inquired why, they claimed an 'audit revealed a missed charge'. I challenged it, and they produced a copy of the signed paperwork. The entire page was full of possible extras; all blank - but all not 'crossed out' or otherwise negated. then one box was filled in with 33; there's no way I would have signed that page with a 33 GBP 'travel insurance' charge. The fact that the page had 10-15 empty boxes, all which could have been filled in 'after the fact', is really annoying. next time I'll "line through' every single charge and write in 'zero' at the bottom or something, AND take my own photo of the page. I'm just not sure how much energy I can expend fighting this now.

Giantaxe Jun 27th 2019 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12703419)
But I'll use this thread to utterly trash Europecar. Three months after my car return from February visit, they charged me an extra $50 or so (showed on my April or May CC bill). When I inquired why, they claimed an 'audit revealed a missed charge'. I challenged it, and they produced a copy of the signed paperwork. The entire page was full of possible extras; all blank - but all not 'crossed out' or otherwise negated. then one box was filled in with 33; there's no way I would have signed that page with a 33 GBP 'travel insurance' charge. The fact that the page had 10-15 empty boxes, all which could have been filled in 'after the fact', is really annoying. next time I'll "line through' every single charge and write in 'zero' at the bottom or something, AND take my own photo of the page. I'm just not sure how much energy I can expend fighting this now.

Over the years I've had more problems with EuropCar than all other rental car companies combined. Two false claims of damage to vehicle (both successfully appealed to the credit card company), one ticket/service fee for purportedly driving in a bus lane that they didn't notify me of until the time for an appeal had lapsed - picture clearly showed me legally turning left across the bus lane - (also successfully appealed) and my favourite: being charged for not returning the car full of gas after it broke down and had to be towed to the airport! At least I got that one refunded without having to go through the credit card company.

Kooky. Jun 27th 2019 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12702314)
That's good to know. We're flying into Manchester in August and will be renting a car for 4 weeks. I'll book with Enterprise :)

Better be careful where you park it up north, Dorothy, or you might get back to find nothing left of it.

Steerpike Jun 27th 2019 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12703617)
Over the years I've had more problems with EuropCar than all other rental car companies combined. Two false claims of damage to vehicle (both successfully appealed to the credit card company), one ticket/service fee for purportedly driving in a bus lane that they didn't notify me of until the time for an appeal had lapsed - picture clearly showed me legally turning left across the bus lane - (also successfully appealed) and my favourite: being charged for not returning the car full of gas after it broke down and had to be towed to the airport! At least I got that one refunded without having to go through the credit card company.

In my case, I rented the car through Auto Europe, who seem to act as a reseller for numerous companies. I complained to them, and they did pursue the issue with EuropCar, but EC didn't budge. So can I still pursue this with my CC company, even though it was back in April when the bogus charge showed up (from the rental returned in Feb)? I didn't even notice the charge for months (I'm sure they count on that!). I happened to search my inbox for emails from the rental co, and found the charge that way.

Look at the pricing grid from AutoEurope below (this screen shot was from last month; rates may be different today) - only EC have a low rate for an automatic (this entire grid is auto; much higher than for manual). And the only low rate is for the Compact. Everything else is almost double! I do notice that Enterprise are not even part of the grid, so presumably AutoEurope don't cover them. Is it best to go directly to Enterprise? I do believe Costco Travel work with them ... I will give them a try.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...2532a46133.jpg

This is the same grid from today, for 'manual' - so much different!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...bac2500a6a.jpg

Edit to Add - just looked at Enterprise's website - they want $515 for two weeks in Sep/Oct for an auto!

Giantaxe Jun 27th 2019 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12703645)
In my case, I rented the car through Auto Europe, who seem to act as a reseller for numerous companies. I complained to them, and they did pursue the issue with EuropCar, but EC didn't budge. So can I still pursue this with my CC company, even though it was back in April when the bogus charge showed up (from the rental returned in Feb)?

Not sure what the deadline is for contesting a charge but there is no harm in trying. I'll certainly be checking my credit card charges over the next few months!

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12703645)
Is it best to go directly to Enterprise? I do believe Costco Travel work with them ... I will give them a try.

My last domestic rental was Costco/Enterprise. They tried to charge me extra for a larger vehicle when they didn't have anything of the class I'd ordered. I may have mentioned before they gave that up when I threatened a bad review of them on TripAdvisor.

Steerpike Jun 27th 2019 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12703658)
My last domestic rental was Costco/Enterprise. They tried to charge me extra for a larger vehicle when they didn't have anything of the class I'd ordered. I may have mentioned before they gave that up when I threatened a bad review of them on TripAdvisor.

I love Costco Travel for domestic, but their international doesn't let you select 'automatic' transmission as a filter so I don't use them. I could always call them ... :). A manual car, through Costco Travel/Enterprise, would be 208 GBP or $263 - not bad, but not as low as the $155 shown in the grid above for EuropCar, manual trans. I guess I need to start factoring in hassle time!

Dorothy Jun 28th 2019 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12703624)
Better be careful where you park it up north, Dorothy, or you might get back to find nothing left of it.

We're only up north for 3 days then off to the Scottish Highlands.