British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Just wanted to share this.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/just-wanted-share-648003/)

sambapink Jan 8th 2010 1:57 am

Just wanted to share this..

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not really sure why I wanted to share this to you lot - but I am :lol:
Maybe because I have been reading alot of threads about dis-jointed families or family members that have driven us to distraction (especially over the 'festive' period!). I come from a very big family that I always believed to be very close - and actually for the most part they are. However, I certainly have come to the sad realisation that there are a few members that I would be better off out of my life.

Anyway, with that in mind (and I am unashamedly bragging here) I wanted to tell you about my Nanny. I leave for Dublin in 2 weeks to help celebrate her 90th Birthday. And what an incredible woman she is.. I can honestly say that there is not a single human being on this earth that I admire and love more than she :wub: And that includes my own mum.

She is a mother of 11, a Grandmother of 35 and a Great Grandmother of 24 and counting! I am compiling a book for her - a book of memories from each of her children and grandchildren. Some have given me specific memories of her, some have written poems and some have simply given me a sentance like said "she is a legend"..

I think what I love about her most is that she has absolutely no idea how amazing she is. She is absolutely adored and idolized by everyone - always last up at a party (she says she afraid of missing something!) Many Many a night myself and my cousins have awoken at 6am on her sofa, out sung, out drunk and out partied by the woman herself, lovingly wrapping a blanket over us all - she constantly says how blessed she is for having the family she has without a single clue that she is the architect of it all.

She has always been comforted by her religion. Despite my reservations about my Catholic upbringing - I watch her and how she is comforted by her religion - when she lost my Grandad and when tragically my Aunt died 2 years ago. It makes me realise that no matter what my reservations about religion are, when you watch someone in such deep pain but so comforted in the knowledge of their loved one "at peace", it made it much simpler to me.

She always tells me how hard it is for the 'young ones' today - despite rearing 11 children in a 2 up 2 down with no bathroom and pawning my Grandads suit everyother week for food - she feels that the pressure on young people today is alot harder than she had it :wub:

Anyway I could go on and on and on.. you get the picture :o So cheers to Nanny Essie.. May I be half the woman you are :wub:

orangemirror Jan 8th 2010 2:13 am

Re: Just wanted to share this..

Awesome! She sounds like a total gangster. Nan's rule :thumbup:

lisa67 Jan 8th 2010 2:32 am

Bless her heart. I hope you all have a fantastic time when you go and visit her for her b'day :thumbsup:

cindyabs Jan 8th 2010 2:36 am

Now THAT made me smile, :)

agentpeppermint Jan 8th 2010 2:56 am

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 8227761)
Maybe because I have been reading alot of threads about dis-jointed families or family members that have driven us to distraction (especially over the 'festive' period!). I come from a very big family that I always believed to be very close - and actually for the most part they are. However, I certainly have come to the sad realisation that there are a few members that I would be better off out of my life.

Anyway, with that in mind (and I am unashamedly bragging here) I wanted to tell you about my Nanny. I leave for Dublin in 2 weeks to help celebrate her 90th Birthday. And what an incredible woman she is.. I can honestly say that there is not a single human being on this earth that I admire and love more than she :wub: And that includes my own mum.

She is a mother of 11, a Grandmother of 35 and a Great Grandmother of 24 and counting! I am compiling a book for her - a book of memories from each of her children and grandchildren. Some have given me specific memories of her, some have written poems and some have simply given me a sentance like said "she is a legend"..

I think what I love about her most is that she has absolutely no idea how amazing she is. She is absolutely adored and idolized by everyone - always last up at a party (she says she afraid of missing something!) Many Many a night myself and my cousins have awoken at 6am on her sofa, out sung, out drunk and out partied by the woman herself, lovingly wrapping a blanket over us all - she constantly says how blessed she is for having the family she has without a single clue that she is the architect of it all.

She has always been comforted by her religion. Despite my reservations about my Catholic upbringing - I watch her and how she is comforted by her religion - when she lost my Grandad and when tragically my Aunt died 2 years ago. It makes me realise that no matter what my reservations about religion are, when you watch someone in such deep pain but so comforted in the knowledge of their loved one "at peace", it made it much simpler to me.

She always tells me how hard it is for the 'young ones' today - despite rearing 11 children in a 2 up 2 down with no bathroom and pawning my Grandads suit everyother week for food - she feels that the pressure on young people today is alot harder than she had it :wub:

Anyway I could go on and on and on.. you get the picture :o So cheers to Nanny Essie.. May I be half the woman you are :wub:

:wub: Beautiful. I have a Nanny too...who is also Irish and I feel the same way as you do about her. Simply Amazing.

sambapink Jan 8th 2010 3:02 am

Originally Posted by orangemirror (Post 8227793)
Awesome! She sounds like a total gangster. Nan's rule :thumbup:

"Gangster" is not how I would describe her.. but I think I get your meaning!

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8227824)
Bless her heart. I hope you all have a fantastic time when you go and visit her for her b'day :thumbsup:

I'm sure it'll be one to remember Lisa.. For her 70th we did a surprise "this is your life" for her - video messages from old friends and all.. t'was brillient! Myself and my cousin were the last to be called in because we had her first Great Grandchildren!!

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8227833)

:)

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint (Post 8227855)
:wub: Beautiful. I have a Nanny too...who is also Irish and I feel the same way as you do about her. Simply Amazing.

Ahhh brillient.. they are just wonderful :wub:

agentpeppermint Jan 8th 2010 3:03 am

i think i am going to sit down and write her a letter tomorrow....ty

sambapink Jan 8th 2010 3:05 am

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint (Post 8227866)
i think i am going to sit down and write her a letter tomorrow....ty

Ahh yeah do.. I called my Nanny on Sunday (3am here :o) I put it off because I get emotional... but god I'm glad I did!

agentpeppermint Jan 8th 2010 4:24 am

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 8227869)
Ahh yeah do.. I called my Nanny on Sunday (3am here :o) I put it off because I get emotional... but god I'm glad I did!

Out of all the grandkids, I am the one she least sees or talks to... reason being, i have always been hundreds of miles from her and even when I was close by, it was really hard on me to go visit her. Broke my heart actually... now I am 2000 miles from her and shes not doing well... a letter is intended with a very very heartfelt thank you.

penguinbar Jan 8th 2010 5:10 am

She sounds amazing! I miss my grandma terribly. Have a great time!

MrEmjoy Jan 8th 2010 12:16 pm

She sounds cool as a cucumber in a fridge!

One thing about my nan. She'll be at someones house, doesn't matter if it's in Leeds (where I'm from) or Grantham (Where she lives) the phone will ring (not mobile) and somehow it will always be for her. And the way she gives her grandkids money, is by folding it up really small and putting it in the palm of their hands without others seeing.

I like this thread! Makes a change from all the "I hate my family" threads.

Macca67 Jan 8th 2010 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 8227761)

I love her already.

Will you ask if she'll adopt me?

another bloody yank Jan 8th 2010 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Macca67 (Post 8228841)
I love her already.

Will you ask if she'll adopt me?

She can adopt you after she marries me.

AmerLisa Jan 8th 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 8227833)

Me too! My grandmother is 94 and still going strong. I love her dearly because she and my grandfather raised me after my mom died when I was younger. I never ever tire of her stories of years ago and think there is so much to learn from our older generation. I wish they were more admired and loved. How very lucky you are, Sam....:)

Gingerert Jan 8th 2010 1:04 pm

She sounds so fabulous! I hope she has a wonderful birthday. :wub: