Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Just need someone to talk to please, bad situation and living in US

Wikiposts

Just need someone to talk to please, bad situation and living in US

Old May 19th 2011, 8:27 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just need someone to talk to please, bad situation and living in US

That's a reasonable assumption, but it would be good to know if it's a correct one.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
From reading her post, yes, because of the situation back in the UK, she did get on the plane with the full intent to marry and remain.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

iray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
AOS fees run around $2,000. If they save $100 per paycheck (assume bi-weekly paychecks), they'll have the money to file in a little under a year. Not exactly "soon", but do-able.

Rene
Yeah, should have expanded a little - I meant in the sense that she's already o/s by three years so better to actually have a workable goal than be in despair that your situation will never get better. Maybe a friend or relative can pitch in with a loan of a smaller amount too if they see she's being serious about sorting the situation.
Old May 19th 2011, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Although my situation was nowhere as bad as yours, I also had a (short) VWP overstay situation. I filed late too. Both before I filed and even after, as I waited for the outcome, I agonized and agonized SO much I almost gave myself a stomach bleed/ulcer. I say this to say I know the feeling, and emphatize.

Borrow as much as you can, save as much as you can, as soon as you can. Get whatever help you can. And FILE as soon as you can. Your marriage is genuine, it'll turn out OK as long as you do the paperwork correctly. Don't get distracted by the questions of "what your intent was when you entered" or anything else. FILE as soon as you can. And try to have confidence. It helps.

If you have excellent attention to detail and patience, you may be able to save on lawyer's fees by doing it all yourslef. Many on this forum have. Read the relevant application forms on the uscis web site, if you understand them = you can do it yourself. If you don't understand them, perhaps better to use a lawyer. Or the various charity options people have pointed to in this thread.

For the record/benefit of the experienced BE users: Yes I realize there is a reason for the Q of intent at entry. But in her case - PRACTICALLY, it doesn't make any difference in terms of the best course of action.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood

For the record/benefit of the experienced BE users: Yes I realize there is a reason for the Q of intent at entry. But in her case - PRACTICALLY, it doesn't make any difference in terms of the best course of action.
I agree and am glad you posted it both ways that you did.
Old May 19th 2011, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

AnneB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
There is some information missing here that may, or may not, be important.

Why did you just get on a plane and come to the USA? Did you come with the intention of staying, or was it to be a brief get-away?

Did you know your husband before coming to the USA? Or did you meet him shortly after your arrival?

Regards, JEff
I am not going to lie for one I am terrible at it! Yes I came here with the intent to marry my Husband. We had no plan or anything and it wasn't even like we proposed to each other its just one of those things we knew instantly and we wasn't even looking for each other at the time, it just happened. We were stupid and naive and just wanted to be together, we didn't think about anything, we just didn't care at the time, it wasn't even a thought about anything legal, then real life kicks in after the honeymoon period and I realized that I should of been a little more mature. My Husband on the other hand.........I just don't know. I think he just thinks that things will just work themselves out eventually. We are both scared to loose each other but deal with it in totally different ways, I panic and he avoids it.

We did have a really nice wedding though it was beautiful, I am just being positive!
Old May 19th 2011, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iray
Yeah, should have expanded a little - I meant in the sense that she's already o/s by three years so better to actually have a workable goal than be in despair that your situation will never get better. Maybe a friend or relative can pitch in with a loan of a smaller amount too if they see she's being serious about sorting the situation.

All of you who have been posting are all right and I am going to sit down and write out more plans its just hard on my own because my Hubby just wont discuss it right now. We just had to move again and there are other things going on. We can't take a loan from a friend or family. Our friends are broke and I wouldn't ask for that amount of money anyway, its not right especially if they have children. There is no family, both of my parents in law are dead and my own parents.........I can't even go there with that one, to be short my Dad practically put me on the plane, he was glad that I was going even further away this time. Someone mentioned about a credit card, my Hubby doesn't have one because of the bad credit, he just has a debit card.

Its all just a big mess but we have no one else to blame but ourselves but we are together and alive and finally love life. Just the problem is we have to dance around the issues. I have to pretend that I am happy and try and avoid the conversations. A few years back someone actually said to me that I should stop being so ungrateful and realize what I have got, I live in America, have a wonderful husband and friends and in a good, safe place. I don't know what to think sometimes I just feel guilty. Am I supposed to just be happy and just deal with the situation without moaning, I did it to myself right? I just don't think I have any control over my life and it just fate now?
Old May 19th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Just being practical: Going on what you're saying - In this case, don't even try to discuss it with your husband. Try to figure out by yourself how you will do the filing and when it starts happening ask him to sign on the dotted lines. Surely he won't say no and he'll be happy you figured it out, including of course the funds. You will need to get some info/papers from him though. E.g. all his addresses in the prior 5 years, his prior year tax returns, etc. etc. So if you try to collect all these without requiring him to do any of the legwork perhaps it will be easier. Try to not make him feel responsible in any way, perhaps it will be easier for him to cooperate that way.

Just a suggestion.

I know it's hard not to keep analyzing - this is what you're doing (and I see myself in that) - but stop the analyzing of how you got here and what could have been done differently. You're wasting your emotional energy. Try to work forward. Again, I know it's easier said then done, but it's the truth...

For your next post, I hope it'll be asking actual questions about the filing and no more of the previous stuff
Old May 19th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

One more thought that occured to me. I feel like I shouldn't be touching on this because it's too personal and also a bit beside the main goal here - but I will anyway:

If your father was so keen for you to go that he put you on the plane, he may be happy for you to stay here. Perhaps you can explain to him that unless you do the immigration petition you WILL have to come back. (No, you will NOT be jailed, you will be sent back to the UK)

Also, if you mother is/was a magistrate, it follows that she would want you to do the "right" thing, the right way and your father would support your mother's wishes. Hence he might help you by giving you the funds. You could even suggest he gives you the cheque written to Homeland Security if he doesn't trust you with the money.

Don't underestimate them, you might be surprised. Also, think of it this way: You can only ask, and they can only say no. So you won't lose anything by asking ( as nicely as possible).
Old May 19th 2011, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Just being practical: Going on what you're saying - In this case, don't even try to discuss it with your husband. Try to figure out by yourself how you will do the filing and when it starts happening ask him to sign on the dotted lines. Surely he won't say no and he'll be happy you figured it out, including of course the funds. You will need to get some info/papers from him though. E.g. all his addresses in the prior 5 years, his prior year tax returns, etc. etc. So if you try to collect all these without requiring him to do any of the legwork perhaps it will be easier. Try to not make him feel responsible in any way, perhaps it will be easier for him to cooperate that way.

Just a suggestion.

I know it's hard not to keep analyzing - this is what you're doing (and I see myself in that) - but stop the analyzing of how you got here and what could have been done differently. You're wasting your emotional energy. Try to work forward. Again, I know it's easier said then done, but it's the truth...

For your next post, I hope it'll be asking actual questions about the filing and no more of the previous stuff
Yes I know I am sorry, I am going on and on and everyone always tells me that I analyze everything too much, I am just letting things spill out, been a while lol.

I have actually got all the paperwork unless I have missed a few things and I have made notes. I have found out where I can get a medical done by a civil surgeon when the time comes. I have called quite a few attorneys in the past also but that is bloody confusing sometimes because they all say different things. Some say that it is really easy and simple and I don't have to worry about anything only getting enough money to do it and then others tell me that it is going to be very hard and I might just be deported. I have read and re read all the paperwork so many times and I have it sitting in a folder. A couple of times I have found out that I actually will need more forms so I have to search the internet to try and find out what they are? I have got a load of questions regarding different things with the paperwork but without me going right now and checking out all my notes I can't remember them off hand? There is one big question though that I really need some answers too?

I have some illnesses nothing huge or anything but still not good. I have a long history of Anxiety and depression and since I have been here I have had to get treatment for it . Its something I can deal with, I am fine and I am no longer a danger to myself, I was in the past in the UK but now I am very much recovered and I am older now too. I am worried that this might affect my paperwork? Also I have really bad hips and I will need surgery (which right now I am determined never to have) can this effect the paperwork too. I am generally healthy, I never get sick and never had major illnesses and I have had all my shots 100%. I am not a sick person. I have tried to read as much as possible about all the medical things but I still seem to not be able to get clear answers on it and its just one of the things that is always on my mind?

I get all depressed and miserable and I set it all aside because we don't have a money tree in the back yard. I have tried to plant one, I have put coins in the ground and bills, nothing works, I never had much of a green thumb. Anyway joking aside all I can do right now is just gather more information and prepare myself as much as possible for any situation. Last night I actually thought screw it, I am just going to work, I will clean toilets..........but then my conscience kicks in. Many people say I should just work under the table like everyone else but being here like I am is bad in itself but if I worked like that that is even worse! I thought about childminding maybe a few times in the week but I just don't know. Oh and my Husband has had a bit of a complicated life so to get some information is a little tricky?

And honestly, thank you everyone your all so kind, thank you!
Old May 19th 2011, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

One more thought that occured to me. I feel like I shouldn't be touching on this because it's too personal and also a bit beside the main goal here - but I will anyway:

If your father was so keen for you to go that he put you on the plane, he may be happy for you to stay here. Perhaps you can explain to him that unless you do the immigration petition you WILL have to come back. (No, you will NOT be jailed, you will be sent back to the UK)

Also, if you mother is/was a magistrate, it follows that she would want you to do the "right" thing, the right way and your father would support your mother's wishes. Hence he might help you by giving you the funds. You could even suggest he gives you the cheque written to Homeland Security if he doesn't trust you with the money.

Don't underestimate them, you might be surprised. Also, think of it this way: You can only ask, and they can only say no. So you won't lose anything by asking ( as nicely as possible).
Lol if only you knew. My Mum wouldn't know the "right thing" if it smacked her in the Mouth. I have asked them once and that was when I was having a really hard time here, didn't go well. In honestly the last few weeks I have talked to my Mum but its because her father is dying and I don't want her to be alone even after all the hypocritical, cruel stuff she has put me through. My Dad is stupid and I forgive him, psychical abuse is easier to get over and forgive than mental abuse. He came to see me last year, that was interesting. My friend is a retired police officer and he wasn't impressed much with my Dad. Its a really messed up situation with my parents, its just the way it is and I have to deal with it but as far as any type of help from them goes I might as well talk to my cat. I have to just be an adult, I will deal with it. Oh and sorry if I said too much but after all this time I am not embarrassed or ashamed and I don't mind opening up sometimes.
Old May 19th 2011, 6:28 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have an exact breakdown of the fees and when they are required to be filed. For example there is the medical exam (cost vary) and I'm wondering if that has to be done before filing or if it can come a few weeks later.

Basically I'm trying to discover if she needs the "whole smash" of $2,250 up front, or if she can get started with a lesser amount and then come forward with additional funds as the process is underway.
Old May 19th 2011, 6:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Does anyone have an exact breakdown of the fees and when they are required to be filed. For example there is the medical exam (cost vary) and I'm wondering if that has to be done before filing or if it can come a few weeks later.

Basically I'm trying to discover if she needs the "whole smash" of $2,250 up front, or if she can get started with a lesser amount and then come forward with additional funds as the process is underway.
It's pretty much all up front for AOS.

She will need to pay for the medical exam at the time it's done, and it should be done close to filing AOS.

The AOS fees include $455 for the I-130, and $1,070 for the I-485 and biometrics. Those fees must all be included along with the AOS package.

So I suppose the medical can be done ahead of the actual AOS filing, but I wouldn't do it TOO far ahead, as you want the results to be fairly recent.

Rene
Old May 19th 2011, 6:34 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's pretty much all up front for AOS.

She will need to pay for the medical exam at the time it's done, and it should be done close to filing AOS.

The AOS fees include $455 for the I-130, and $1,070 for the I-485 and biometrics. Those fees must all be included along with the AOS package.

So I suppose the medical can be done ahead of the actual AOS filing, but I wouldn't do it TOO far ahead, as you want the results to be fairly recent.

Rene
Is she eligible for any fee waivers or would applying for a fee waiver raise red flags as to the overall sponsorship?

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/FeeWaiverGd3404.pdf
Old May 19th 2011, 6:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Is she eligible for any fee waivers or would applying for a fee waiver raise red flags as to the overall sponsorship?

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/FeeWaiverGd3404.pdf
She can try, but it's very tough to get approved for a fee waiver. You are right, she must have a sponsor who earns above the poverty level, and if she has that, she probably won't qualify for a fee waiver.

Rene
Old May 20th 2011, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Hello.

Yes I did find out that it has to be all up front so I send all the paperwork along with the medical together. My Husband said to me a while back that because I am an immediate relative that they have to give me a decision with two months, is this true?

The place I called about getting the medical done said it will be around 100 but that doesn't include the shots or blood work etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.