Just need someone to talk to please, bad situation and living in US

Wikiposts

Just need someone to talk to please, bad situation and living in US

Old May 19th 2011, 3:42 am
Just Joined

AnneB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just need someone to talk to please, bad situation and living in US

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I think she was worried about being thrown in jail for overstaying the visa, not for something she did in the UK, but now after re-reading I'm not so sure.
I didn't see this before I posted my last reply sorry! No I have never done anything against the law or anything like that. Yes I am scared of being put in jail because of the Visa, I don't think I could cope with that I am not a tough person in that sense. My Mum is actually a magistrate and a teacher in the UK so I have been brought up with good morals. I have many issues though with my parents and that will take years for me to sort out and ever being with them again will never happen.
Old May 19th 2011, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnneB
I am really sorry this is long and please don't be nasty to me, I know I did wrong by coming here like this but I also did right as I had to change my life and circumstances in the UK. I have always been a good person but for the last 3 years I feel like I am the biggest criminal in the world.
What's your definition of nasty? Someone in the lounge wants to blow up illegal immigrants with landmines; it's a grey area I know, but is that too nasty?

Old May 19th 2011, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Had a buddy who lived here illegally for 7 years, finally decided to go home but wanted the option to come back.

Got in touch with passport authorities in the U.K and said he'd lost his passport so they issued him a new one, then when he left he told the airline he'd lost his passport & landing card , no probs they said and off he went back to the UK.
Has regularly visited me since ( 1 -2 times a year ) no problems and subsequently married an American and got a green card.

I'm not posting this because I agree with it but to help the OP see she's not completely screwed, and yes it was all post 911.
Old May 19th 2011, 3:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I would just like to ask you all about your thoughts on something? It is a little off topic but I am curious as to what you think and experience?

Do you ever find that people talk about illegal Mexican's in a bad and derogatory manor and complain about them to you? I get really upset when this happens and I find myself asking them "who do you think your talking too, I'm illegal and have done a bad thing by even being here but you seem to think that that is ok and its because I'm white'".

People never know how to respond to me when I say that. I try and tell them that I am the same as any other illegal immigrant in this Country but they just don't get it. What are your thoughts on this, has this happened to you before?
This is way off-topic from your own serious problem at hand. You'd be better off walking away from this topic, not responding to people who make these kinds of comments, and focusing ALL your attention on your own immigration dilemma.

Have a consultation with one of those charities who helps immigrants. Get all the required paperwork together for your adjustment of status, and then present it to your husband so he can sign where necessary. He will need to show financial support at a certain level. If this is a problem, one of your friends can be a joint sponsor, so don't panic if you have low income.

First step...seek assistance and get all your AOS paperwork together.

Rene
Old May 19th 2011, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
What's your definition of nasty? Someone in the lounge wants to blow up illegal immigrants with landmines; it's a grey area I know, but is that too nasty?

I said that because a long time ago I did post in the forum and people were being so abusive to me and the only people that were being kind were the American people lol, a few people had a go at others for being so cruel. I think it was my own fault though as I probably didn't write as well as I should have done so I know I deserved it and still do. I understand that other people work their asses off to be legal and do things the right way then there is me who comes along and takes the piss because I just came here without thinking about the consequences. I understand completely why people would be angry. Sometimes things just happen though and we are all different people with different backgrounds and circumstances.
Old May 19th 2011, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
This is way off-topic from your own serious problem at hand. You'd be better off walking away from this topic, not responding to people who make these kinds of comments, and focusing ALL your attention on your own immigration dilemma.
Yes I am sorry I realize that I shouldn't of posted that question it is just my mind is buzzing a million miles an hour. Also I am going to take all of the advise you all give me. I will make calls today and see who I can get a hold of and try and push things harder. Thank you.
Old May 19th 2011, 3:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am sorry I realize that I shouldn't of posted that question it is just my mind is buzzing a million miles an hour. Also I am going to take all of the advise you all give me. I will make calls today and see who I can get a hold of and try and push things harder. Thank you.
It's OK that you brought up your question here. My point was that in your real life, when people raise this topic, don't take the bait and respond. It just wastes your energy debating about something that doesn't apply to you and your case. You'll feel calmer in real life if you ignore these kinds of comments.

Rene
Old May 19th 2011, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see this before I posted my last reply sorry! No I have never done anything against the law or anything like that. Yes I am scared of being put in jail because of the Visa, I don't think I could cope with that I am not a tough person in that sense. My Mum is actually a magistrate and a teacher in the UK so I have been brought up with good morals. I have many issues though with my parents and that will take years for me to sort out and ever being with them again will never happen.
One of your biggest concerns seems to be that ICE may put you in jail. If they do and you agree to leave the country voluntarily, they will put you on the next flight back to the UK. Therefore I don't think that should be a major concern.

As previous posters asked, do you still have financial problems to come up with the approximate $2,250 needed to file for adjustment of status? Does your husband make enough money (125% of the poverty level or about $18,388 per year) to fulfill the affidavit of support? If not, can you get a friend to be a joint sponsor? Once you have those issues resolved, then your best chance would be to file for adjustment of status (after a consultation with an immigration attorney) and see where the chips fall.

These are the issues that you should initially be concerned with.
Old May 19th 2011, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
One of your biggest concerns seems to be that ICE may put you in jail. If they do and you agree to leave the country voluntarily, they will put you on the next flight back to the UK. Therefore I don't think that should be a major concern.

As previous posters asked, do you still have financial problems to come up with the approximate $2,250 needed to file for adjustment of status? Does your husband make enough money (125% of the poverty level or about $18,388 per year) to fulfill the affidavit of support? If not, can you get a friend to be a joint sponsor? Once you have those issues resolved, then your best chance would be to file for adjustment of status (after a consultation with an immigration attorney) and see where the chips fall.

These are the issues that you should initially be concerned with.
Yes that big problem is the financial side of things. My Husband makes a good income and he makes above the poverty level but we have so many bills and bad credit so we can't get a loan for the paperwork. We have to pay rent and buy food and pay the gas and electric bill and buy the time all of that is done there isn't any money left to even save. We just live pay check to pay check. I feel that maybe we just haven't made enough sacrifices, things come up and money has to be used like for instance a Doctor visit costs 100 bucks. With the economy the way it is right now we can't get a sponsor, our friends barely get by and they have children so its hard for them. Your probably going to think I am stupid given the situation but I had 400 saved up but then my friend and her children got into a really bad situation and I couldn't help it, I just gave them the money because I figured that they needed it more than me. So its really hard, I look around myself and I see others who can't even afford food and they have to get food stamps to feed the children so I just try and help them. I know it is daft sometimes but then I think even though its bad like it is now we have a place to sleep. So we manage to save a bit of money but then something happens and then its gone again. Thing is it has reached the point with my husband where we don't talk about it anymore, it doesn't want to hear it from me as he says that we can't do anything about it right now, that is why I came here.

Sorry I am talking so much!!
Old May 19th 2011, 4:40 am

Part of the problem sounds like you're living on one income. Maybe if you explain how, if you file your AOS, you'll be allowed to work so you guys can have a more comfortable financial situation. Yes, you'd have to borrow the money up front for the AOS fees, but once you start working you can have the extra money in hand to pay it back.

He has no credit card with that limit on it to withdraw cash from? (yes, that's a horrible interest rate, but I think your situation is dire enough to call for it). He has no family that can help out financially? Frankly I'm surprised he thinks that you staying here out of status is totally OK, and hasn't tried to do what it takes to get you legal here in 3 years. I guess he is OK with you getting removed from the USA and incurring a ban from returning, if that happens?

Rene
Old May 19th 2011, 5:01 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There is some information missing here that may, or may not, be important.

Why did you just get on a plane and come to the USA? Did you come with the intention of staying, or was it to be a brief get-away?

Did you know your husband before coming to the USA? Or did you meet him shortly after your arrival?

Regards, JEff

I have been living in the US for 3 years and been married to my Husband who is a US citizen for almost 3 years. I made a bad mistake I know but I can't change the past. I didn't think, I just got on a plane and came here.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Do you ever find that people talk about illegal Mexican's in a bad and derogatory manor and complain about them to you? I get really upset when this happens and I find myself asking them "who do you think your talking too, I'm illegal and have done a bad thing by even being here but you seem to think that that is ok and its because I'm white'".

People never know how to respond to me when I say that. I try and tell them that I am the same as any other illegal immigrant in this Country but they just don't get it. What are your thoughts on this, has this happened to you before?
It's always amusing, because it's mostly just a front for them being racist

Around Boston, loads of illegal Irish folks working the summer bars etc and people don't care about them, yet complain about the Mexicans, yet most of the south Americans here aren't Mexican, they're Brazilian, and most of them are legal, came over as nannies, students etc. A few of them over stay and become illegal, but there are very few that come over via a dodgy geezer in a truck over the border, which most think is the common way In Texas and other southern areas, that's probably the case, but I can't think anyone would go to that effort to then float up this far and get this cold

But anyway, do sort out your immigration status, it'll be a huge burden off your shoulders. The UK, if you head back, they won't care, it's not there problem that you over stayed in the US.

Last edited by Bob; May 19th 2011 at 5:09 am.
Old May 19th 2011, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

iray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really nice

Would anyone know if there is a place I can go here that have Councillors, someone who I can just talk to like at the British Embassy, someone from the UK who I can see face to face? Its not for advise on becoming legal because I don't think that would be possible now but its just someone who I can go to for support if I ever need it?
The British Embassy/Consulate are not here to give advice on immigration matters, at best they will give you a list of lawyers, or organisations such as the ones already posted by someone (the Catholic charities).

To answer one of your other questions about claiming asylum which I don't think anyone answered, if you were to do that I think the authorities would first laugh at you, then after about five minutes say "Wait, were you serious?" and then if you wanted to go forward with your claim for asylum would hold you in a detention centre while your case awaited its hearing - which would be absolutely destined to fail.

Your best bet would be to listen to some of the advice on here - most people won't be judgemental. It would appear that there is a way forward for you, you just need to figure out how to make it happen. If money is tight and you can't get a loan, maybe put aside a $100 each paycheck and you'll soon have the money to pay the application fees.
Old May 19th 2011, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by iray
If money is tight and you can't get a loan, maybe put aside a $100 each paycheck and you'll soon have the money to pay the application fees.
AOS fees run around $2,000. If they save $100 per paycheck (assume bi-weekly paychecks), they'll have the money to file in a little under a year. Not exactly "soon", but do-able.

To the OP - you seem like a really nice person, and although your heart is in the right place wanting to help others, you really need to put your own needs first from now on. You had $400 towards your savings for AOS which you just handed over to someone else. Yes, you have food and a roof over your head...but you don't have your green card. That should be your #1 priority right now.

Rene
Old May 19th 2011, 6:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
There is some information missing here that may, or may not, be important.

Why did you just get on a plane and come to the USA? Did you come with the intention of staying, or was it to be a brief get-away?

Did you know your husband before coming to the USA? Or did you meet him shortly after your arrival?

Regards, JEff
From reading her post, yes, because of the situation back in the UK, she did get on the plane with the full intent to marry and remain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.