Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Just moved to Texas HELP REQUIRED on Driving License

Just moved to Texas HELP REQUIRED on Driving License

Old May 5th 2011, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Houston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really nice
Question Just moved to Texas HELP REQUIRED on Driving License

My husband's company have just moved us to Houston. We have been told that we can apply for a Texas driving license within the first year but from what I am reading on here that my not be correct. Also what paperwork do I need to provide. I haven't applied for a social security number yet, should I. Please help a very confused scottish person.. Oh and do you need to sit both a written test and do the practical as well.
Old May 5th 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just moved to Texas HELP REQUIRED on Driving License

Originally Posted by Houston Bound
My husband's company have just moved us to Houston. We have been told that we can apply for a Texas driving license within the first year but from what I am reading on here that my not be correct. Also what paperwork do I need to provide. I haven't applied for a social security number yet, should I. Please help a very confused scottish person.. Oh and do you need to sit both a written test and do the practical as well.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...forLicense.htm
Old May 5th 2011, 4:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your being able to get a social security number/card depends on your visa (assuming you are dependent on your husband's visa).

Some dependents are eligible for a SS# others are not.
Old May 5th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Some dependents are eligible for a SS# others are not.
...and if you are not, get a letter from the SS office stating so, and that will remove the requirement by the DMV for you to have one.
Old May 5th 2011, 8:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Houston Bound
You've posted before that you are on L visas; the L principle and spouse should go to the SSA and apply for Social Security numbers.
That will get you started.
Old May 5th 2011, 9:29 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

The site celticrover gave you is great. You also need a letter from your husband's employer saying that he has a job with them. I had to have the letter to prove that I was being financially supported by him. I don't know where in Houston you are based. You can sit the tests anywhere in Texas. This might sound daft, but for the central Houston ones, you really need to be there in the queue before 7am (so I was told). This still didn't guarantee you a test that day. I decided to go a little West and sat my theory test the same day with the practical booked in 2 weeks later.
Good Luck
Old May 5th 2011, 10:46 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

[Insert Joke About Texan Drivers]
Old May 6th 2011, 12:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
[Insert Joke About ... Drivers]
FTFY
Old May 6th 2011, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

We came from Aberdeen and were confused too!

You have 90 days to sit for the written and driving test, not one year.

The hardest part of the situation is the waiting line at the DPS in Houston. Yes, since you have a license from abroad (and not from another US State) - you must sit the written and pass the driving test. They are simple here. Make sure your present license is not expired, however.

Yes, they need proof of legal residence in the USA and an address in Texas. Additionally, oddly, the paperwork proving you own your car and proof of insurance.

Otherwise, you can say you are using someone else's (and they drove you to to the DPS for your temporary license.) I found that out when I applied, and had to go home for all that paperwork, even though they say that on the website...it seemed like a bit more than necessary - I felt that intrusive to insinuate that people getting driver's licenses are required to OWN cars...but you can just say you are in a rental or have a friend's (this is what the lady told me.)

You keep your UK license. (If you are from another state in the USA, they do take it.)
Old May 6th 2011, 11:14 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bomjeito

You keep your UK license. (If you are from another state in the USA, they do take it.)
And some 'DMV's' willl insist they take it from you, some may need informing that they don't need to take it, apparently its resulted in a few problems.
Old May 6th 2011, 1:15 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

They didn't ask to take mine in Houston, and it states quite clearly on their own website which counties have to surrender their licences.

Remember to drive like a little old lady, I was failed for pulling out too quickly in front of another car and hubby was failed for trying to sneak up the side of a car to turn a corner 'creating another lane'. Second time round we drove very very carefully .
Old May 8th 2011, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Houston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really niceHouston Bound is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your help. Need to start studying as it has been a long time since I sat a test.
Old May 9th 2011, 4:24 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
They didn't ask to take mine in Houston, and it states quite clearly on their own website which counties have to surrender their licences.

Remember to drive like a little old lady, I was failed for pulling out too quickly in front of another car and hubby was failed for trying to sneak up the side of a car to turn a corner 'creating another lane'. Second time round we drove very very carefully .
So first time you drove like everyone else in Houston and failed.....
Old May 9th 2011, 5:08 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
So first time you drove like everyone else in Houston and failed.....
Exactly - and now I just make up my own rules, especially at 4 way stops
Old May 9th 2011, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Exactly - and now I just make up my own rules, especially at 4 way stops
Do you do that "follow the leader" thing that a lot of drivers do at 4 Way Stops?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.