Reload this Page >

Just about to send I130 to London

Wikiposts

Just about to send I130 to London

Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:49 am
Just Joined

c17age is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Just about to send I130 to London

Hi we are just about to send our I130 to the London embassy (I'm English and my wife is USC, married 3 yrs with 2yo daughter). We hope to move in September. Can anyone see any logisticle/ timescale probs with this. I see there are numerous threads on this but If anyone will take the time, can you hold my hand for a while? I'm currently in the RAF and retiring in December but will be able to move in Sept. I am hoping to work asap. Am I being too optomistic?
Thanks
c17
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just about to send I130 to London

Originally Posted by c17age
Hi we are just about to send our I130 to the London embassy (I'm English and my wife is USC, married 3 yrs with 2yo daughter). We hope to move in September. Can anyone see any logisticle/ timescale probs with this. I see there are numerous threads on this but If anyone will take the time, can you hold my hand for a while? I'm currently in the RAF and retiring in December but will be able to move in Sept. I am hoping to work asap. Am I being too optomistic?
Thanks
c17
hiya!

The typical timeline for a London-filed Immigrant Visa case is 4-5 months. The visa is valid for 6 months from the day of issue.
You will have an opportunity to slow down your case, but not to speed it up. Starting now is just about perfect!

Order your supporting documentation now (police certificate, birth certs etc), make sure Baby has a US passport if entitled (or an I-130 filed for her if not), make sure wifey has filed her (minimum) past 3 years' of IRS tax returns and you've got copies of them or transcripts from the IRS. Have wifey look into taking UK citizenship if she is eligible.. .lessee.. that should get you started!

Stock up on Marmite if you are a fan, review the 2 links in my signature which will answer a lot of the 'getting set up in the US' questions you might have.

Now, you are retiring but you want to w o r k ????
When you enter the US with an Immigrant visa, that status (Permanent Resident) will allow you to work immediately if you've got a job. If you don't have one, you can start looking for one immediately. Your Social Security number will come to you, and you can be hired and paid before you get it.

Anything I missed?
(exRoyal Navy household)
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Meaux
Thanks for the info. I am looking to work when we get there, I'm not that old yet. Why should my wife want to be a uk cit? you mean duel citship? whats the advantage of that?
c17
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Meaux
Thanks for the info. I am looking to work when we get there, I'm not that old yet. Why should my wife want to be a uk cit? you mean duel citship? whats the advantage of that?
c17
Yes, dual citizenship. The advantage of that is just in case in the future you guys decide to visit or move back again to the UK, she won't have any problems with needing a visa and such. No risk of being denied entry into the UK in the future.

Rene
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Just about to send I130 to London

If Jen can get duel cit this way can I get it the other ie uk with us as a duel? thanks folks for the info so far. Mailed the I 130 today and need to sort out Jens 3 years of tax returns silly us!

Andy
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:00 am
Just Joined

PS
nice to have the senior service on board. Son of a spunky
Andy
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:05 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If Jen can get duel cit this way can I get it the other ie uk with us as a duel?
Yes, you sure can! That way, you and Jen can both travel freely between the UK and USA at any time, if you both hold dual citizenship.

Rene
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If Jen can get duel cit this way can I get it the other ie uk with us as a duel? thanks folks for the info so far. Mailed the I 130 today and need to sort out Jens 3 years of tax returns silly us!

Andy
Yes, you can both (all three of you actually!) be dual citizens. There are some logistics about it you'd want to make sure you understand (ie you must always enter the US on your US passport) but many people here are dual and even tri- citizens.

Congrats on getting your start; let us know if you have more questions!