Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

July 4th - anybody doing anything nice?

July 4th - anybody doing anything nice?

Old Jul 4th 2020, 12:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: July 4th - anybody doing anything nice?

Originally Posted by civilservant
We went to look for a new car for the Ms today. That was a bust. Is it me or have car salesman got less polite then previously over the last few years?

I don't enjoy being dic*ed around.

Probably the same thing in the morning tomorrow. No plans other than that.
We used to do our car shopping wandering around the dealer lot after the dealer had closed for the day, before all inventory went on-line. Now we can trawl for a car matching what we want, but previously the conversation went something like this

​​​​​​Pulaski: "This is what we want .... ".
Salesman. "We don't have anything with those specs, come to take a look at what we have."
Pulaski: "That is what I want, can you get it for me?"
Salesman: "We can search dealer inventory in this and adjoining states"
Salesman, a few days later, on the phone: "No dealer has that vehicle, would you like to come to take a look at what we do have?"
Pulaski. "That is what I want, can you get it for me?"
Salesman: "Well that would mean having to order it, and that would take 8-12 weeks! [Obviously expecting me to lose interest].
Pulaski: "OK, please go ahead."

Two of our vehicles have been delivered direct from the factory, one from Detroit, and one from Kansas.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 4th 2020 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are under a fire ban, so it rained this afternoon so no fireworks, Summit County has a requirement to wear a mask in public places, so outside as well as inside. Summit County’s order requires masks or face coverings whenever people are in a building open to the public or outside and a 6-foot distance isn’t possible.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 11:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Boiler gets the prize for making me laugh with his flag and Lizzyq definitely sounds like she's having the best Independance day celebrations!
98F here today - too hot for the pool until now.
Happy Independance day !
Old Jul 4th 2020, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I emptied all the work stuff from the bed and cabin of my truck, removed the carry rack and gave the old girl a quick clean, now she's ready for two weeks, lying low, out of state from tomorrow.

Then we brewed up 5 gallons of beer, which will be ready to bottle when we get back, less than two hours later and the yeast is already busy, hopefully it doesn't spew froth all over the place while we're away...

Finished the daylight hours with homemade shrimp po' boys and some kind of cocktail.

7.45pm now and our redneck neighbors have just started with the fireworks, I'm about to break out an Islay malt and wait for the gunfire to start...
Old Jul 4th 2020, 11:51 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Remember people - All Revolutions Matter!
Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:24 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the middle of setting up the projector outside for us to watch Hamilton. Need the sun to go down some more before we can watch.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 6:30 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Our second 4th of July and we observed it as much as we did our first, i.e., hardly at all. Seattle's still a bit tense, we had Proud Boy types pay a visit yesterday, didn't really seem an appropriate time to whoop it up with fireworks but we could see a hell of a lot going off across the water from 10pm to at least midnight (as they have been for a fortnight). Thankfully not close enough to spook the cats.

It was also a very sad evening after one of the BLM protestors died from injuries sustained from a deliberate hit and run the night before. (The other one still critical - I won't go into detail on all this, you can find global news articles if you want them.) There was a late night vigil for them last night, could see and hear it from our window, might go today and pay our respects. Just saw a post from our vet saying they're closed today, the deceased worked for them.

We also had plans to watch Hamilton but went out to dinner and had a couple of rather strong cocktails so it didn't happen. Maybe tonight
Old Jul 5th 2020, 8:43 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

WillQ and I drove up to the Lowes car park to watch our short but impressive fireworks display (simultaneous identical displays in 4 sites around the town), Lowes even turned their carpark floodlights off for the duration. Steveq stayed home with the cat who was not overly impressed with the noisy shenanigans.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

This should really be in TIO. July 4th was a bust for us. Dog came off worst in a fight, and had to go to the emergency vets, as our usual one was closed. This was about 11 am we took him in and got him back around 8.30pm. Bringing him back home, there were lots fireworks that I could see from the freeway, and a large spent one hit the top back corner of the car, but, luckily didn't cause any damage. He wouldn't take his pain pills, even in a treat, so we were kept awake most of the night by him howling, and knocking into/over things in the night. I am having the glass of wine now, that I should really have had yesterday.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:32 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
This should really be in TIO. July 4th was a bust for us. Dog came off worst in a fight, and had to go to the emergency vets, as our usual one was closed. This was about 11 am we took him in and got him back around 8.30pm. Bringing him back home, there were lots fireworks that I could see from the freeway, and a large spent one hit the top back corner of the car, but, luckily didn't cause any damage. He wouldn't take his pain pills, even in a treat, so we were kept awake most of the night by him howling, and knocking into/over things in the night. I am having the glass of wine now, that I should really have had yesterday.
Sorry to hear that your day was a washout, hope the dog is doing better today. Enjoy your glass of wine, I am sure you need it after all of that!