Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Job Seekers Allowance on returning to the UK.

Job Seekers Allowance on returning to the UK.

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:17 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job Seekers Allowance on returning to the UK.

If we returned to the UK in the next couple of years, would I be able to claim Job Seekers' Allowance whilst I looked for a job?

We both paid Class1 NI until 2004, when we went to live in Spain. We still have a house, bank accounts and a private dentist in the UK.

My husband receives his Teacher's Pension from the UK and he also receives Incapacity Benefirt from the UK (as he was receiving it before we went to Spain).

I receive nothing whatsoever as I can't claim my LA pension until I am 65 without losing a huge chunk of it. I am virtually up-to-date with State Pension contributions (I have paid some voluntary contributions and have one more year left to pay to qualify for full State Pension).

I will be around 58 if we return and would like a job (maybe 3 days a week)until I am 60 and can draw my State Pension. So as I asked at the beginning, would I be eligible for JSA?

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Seekers Allowance on returning to the UK.

Originally Posted by scampicat
If we returned to the UK in the next couple of years, would I be able to claim Job Seekers' Allowance whilst I looked for a job?

Thanks

As far as I know, yes, but be prepared for some hassle and paperwork (if my son's experience is anything to go by). Make sure you know your NI number. It might also be a good idea to get a pension forecast from the NI people, to show that you have paid into the system in the past.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:55 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
As far as I know, yes, but be prepared for some hassle and paperwork (if my son's experience is anything to go by). Make sure you know your NI number. It might also be a good idea to get a pension forecast from the NI people, to show that you have paid into the system in the past.
Thanlks for your reply. I know my NI number and I only stopped paying NI last year. I have a pension forecast dated last year.

Do you mind telling me what what hassle your son had??
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:22 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanlks for your reply. I know my NI number and I only stopped paying NI last year. I have a pension forecast dated last year.

Do you mind telling me what what hassle your son had??

He did not know his NI number. The dorks at the JobCentre would not tell him what it was, even though they were able to look him up on their computer. He had to fill in a lengthy form, mail it in and wait several weeks for a reply. During which time he not only did not get JSA, but was unable to even APPLY for jobs... Bloody jobsworths.

Of course, when he eventually found out his number, he spoke to someone else who said that the fact that he hadn't known it previously should not have been a problem... And the moral of the story is: there are helpful people, and there are $%#@!!*$s - but I suspect the latter are more prevalent in government agency jobs than elsewhere!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:21 pm
Ex Expat

He did not know his NI number. The dorks at the JobCentre would not tell him what it was, even though they were able to look him up on their computer. He had to fill in a lengthy form, mail it in and wait several weeks for a reply. During which time he not only did not get JSA, but was unable to even APPLY for jobs... Bloody jobsworths.

Of course, when he eventually found out his number, he spoke to someone else who said that the fact that he hadn't known it previously should not have been a problem... And the moral of the story is: there are helpful people, and there are $%#@!!*$s - but I suspect the latter are more prevalent in government agency jobs than elsewhere!
Thanks, hope your son is sorted now.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

NI number is not legally required if you have a British citizen passport.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:48 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by JAJ
NI number is not legally required if you have a British citizen passport.
That's what I thought, but they kept insisting.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

I was allowed to claim JSA but I didn't actually get anything because they took so long faffing about with it I got a job and couldn't be arsed to fill in any more paperwork.

I left the UK at 15 and didn't recieve a NI card, so I had no idea what it was. This was the first thing I had to get when I got back to the UK. Went to the job center and asked about them finding me one, they couldn't help me, go to tax office. Went there, they couldn't help me either, go back to the job center and ask them to check to see if you have one. Back to the Job Center, they can't check for it there, go to the social security office and they'll do it for you. Went there and after filling out loads of papers the chap managed to give me my NI number on a piece of paper and said he would send away for my card. Back to the job center to apply for JSA 15 minutes later after recieving NI number.

Guy at the job center upon the 3rd return:
"So you want to find out if you have a NI number"
Me: "I've just been and got it from the social security office"
Guy: "Why did you do that? I can check it here in a couple minutes"

I'll leave the rest out

Basically, the people that work in these places are absolutle morons that will do anything to get rid of you. Keep bloody pressing on them or otherwise they will just fob you off with a universal problem solving leaflet telling you to call a number thats constantly engaged.

JSA I filled out all the inital paperwork, had an interview, was allowed to claim. After about 3 weeks they send me more paperwork and want me to be means tested as I've been out of the country. By this this time I'd got a job and buggered it off.
My Mum nor Dad could'nt claim JSA as it was something to do with there decision on leaving the country? Where as I didn't have a choice or something why I was allowed to claim at 18. My NI Card came in the post about 1 1/2 month later. It took me 2 weeks to cancel my JSA also and sometimes they keep phoning me to ask me what I've been doing on my search for my employment.

**** off useless ****s.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:16 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

We both paid Class1 NI until 2004, when we went to live in Spain. We still have a house, bank accounts and a private dentist in the UK.

My husband receives his Teacher's Pension from the UK and he also receives Incapacity Benefirt from the UK (as he was receiving it before we went to Spain).

I receive nothing whatsoever as I can't claim my LA pension until I am 65 without losing a huge chunk of it. I am virtually up-to-date with State Pension contributions (I have paid some voluntary contributions and have one more year left to pay to qualify for full State Pension).

I will be around 58 if we return and would like a job (maybe 3 days a week)until I am 60 and can draw my State Pension. So as I asked at the beginning, would I be eligible for JSA?

Thanks
I'm pretty certain that your Class 1 NI contributions must be fully paid up for the two tax years (April to April) before making a claim for benefits. It all depends on when you stopped paying Class 1 stamps and the date on which you turn up at the Jobcentre to make a claim. Class 2 and 3 NI stamps don't count towards JSA.

If not eligible for monetary benefits (I'm assuming you won't be so financially strapped that you will be claiming Income Support) you can still insist on signing on at the Jobcentre; this is to sign for NI credits towards your State pension. It will also entitle you (after six months) to go on the Restart courses or courses aimed at retraining people to return to the workforce.

Do bear in mind that you can't state that you are only prepared to work 3 days a week; you must be looking for full time work if you want to sign on as otherwise you will be deemed as being too restrictive in your search for a job.

Do look at the 'sticky's at the top of this forum; there are lots of links to govt. depts in the UK.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought, but they kept insisting.
These are the documents required to legally work in the UK.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/law...ng/yourdefence

Do not assume that public servants know the law and always be prepared to challenge them if they do not apply the proper procedures. And if they don't listen, escalate the problem to their superiors.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:45 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
I was allowed to claim JSA but I didn't actually get anything because they took so long faffing about with it I got a job and couldn't be arsed to fill in any more paperwork.

I left the UK at 15 and didn't recieve a NI card, so I had no idea what it was. This was the first thing I had to get when I got back to the UK. Went to the job center and asked about them finding me one, they couldn't help me, go to tax office. Went there, they couldn't help me either, go back to the job center and ask them to check to see if you have one. Back to the Job Center, they can't check for it there, go to the social security office and they'll do it for you. Went there and after filling out loads of papers the chap managed to give me my NI number on a piece of paper and said he would send away for my card. Back to the job center to apply for JSA 15 minutes later after recieving NI number.

Guy at the job center upon the 3rd return:
"So you want to find out if you have a NI number"
Me: "I've just been and got it from the social security office"
Guy: "Why did you do that? I can check it here in a couple minutes"

I'll leave the rest out

Basically, the people that work in these places are absolutle morons that will do anything to get rid of you. Keep bloody pressing on them or otherwise they will just fob you off with a universal problem solving leaflet telling you to call a number thats constantly engaged.

JSA I filled out all the inital paperwork, had an interview, was allowed to claim. After about 3 weeks they send me more paperwork and want me to be means tested as I've been out of the country. By this this time I'd got a job and buggered it off.
My Mum nor Dad could'nt claim JSA as it was something to do with there decision on leaving the country? Where as I didn't have a choice or something why I was allowed to claim at 18. My NI Card came in the post about 1 1/2 month later. It took me 2 weeks to cancel my JSA also and sometimes they keep phoning me to ask me what I've been doing on my search for my employment.

**** off useless ****s.

Your experience sounds depressingly similar to my sons's...
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:44 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm pretty certain that your Class 1 NI contributions must be fully paid up for the two tax years (April to April) before making a claim for benefits. It all depends on when you stopped paying Class 1 stamps and the date on which you turn up at the Jobcentre to make a claim. Class 2 and 3 NI stamps don't count towards JSA.

If not eligible for monetary benefits (I'm assuming you won't be so financially strapped that you will be claiming Income Support) you can still insist on signing on at the Jobcentre; this is to sign for NI credits towards your State pension. It will also entitle you (after six months) to go on the Restart courses or courses aimed at retraining people to return to the workforce.

Do bear in mind that you can't state that you are only prepared to work 3 days a week; you must be looking for full time work if you want to sign on as otherwise you will be deemed as being too restrictive in your search for a job.

Do look at the 'sticky's at the top of this forum; there are lots of links to govt. depts in the UK.
Thankyou for your informative post.

I know I probably won't get any money as my husbands pension will be taken into account - I wanted to sign on really for the NI credit.

I thought for these purposes, anything over 16 hours counted as 'full time'. Certainly it does if you do a college course and want to claim JSA.